U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 11:49 PM

897 posts, read 891,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
Considering LA's density (which has many areas as dense as anything in Chicago or SF), it definitely lacks pedestrian activity in A LOT of dense areas. Compare this to cities such as Chicago or SF where pedestrian activity is pretty much present in every type of dense neighborhood. LA was just not designed and built with the pedestrian in mind, though it is surely trying to change this.

Miami is pretty much a nightmare for pedestrians with the exception of Miami Beach.

These two are probably the only dense cities that are lacking pedestrian activity. Most other cities that lack pedestrian activity (Houston, Atlanta, Dallas, Phoenix, Charlotte, etc) are not in any way dense, so pedestrian activity is not a realistic thing to expect.
The thing is these areas you talk about actually do have lots of pedestrian activity especially around the core, and other areas such as Hollywood east and west, I just think a lot of people have a bad misrepresentation of LA in there head and just go by old stereotypes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 11:55 PM

7,251 posts, read 5,558,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
The thing is these areas you talk about actually do have lots of pedestrian activity especially around the core, and other areas such as Hollywood east and west, I just think a lot of people have a bad misrepresentation of LA in there head and just go by old stereotypes
Los Angeles Is Filled To The Brim With Everything - SkyscraperPage Forum
From those pictures, LA has plenty of pedestrian traffic.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Los Angeles Is Filled To The Brim With Everything - SkyscraperPage Forum
From those pictures, LA has plenty of pedestrian traffic.
hey Kode so whats your take on the pedestrian traffic in Baltimore?

Old 07-05-2012, 12:10 AM

7,251 posts, read 5,558,332 times
Quote:
hey Kode so whats your take on the pedestrian traffic in Baltimore?
It's average, certain parts of downtown are very busy (lexington market, by the court houses, Pratt street, light street), but some areas are relatively quiet. Also, certain areas are more active after normal business hours.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
It's average, certain parts of downtown are very busy (lexington market, by the court houses, Pratt street, light street), but some areas are relatively quiet. Also, certain areas are more active after normal business hours.
the hood! LOL primetime to get your hustle on

Old 07-05-2012, 03:08 AM

1,108 posts, read 1,823,313 times
Strictly by the numbers, I'd have to go with Miami. It's a very dense city by US standards but much of the city has little to no pedestrian activity.

Also, sorry CaliSon, but I think Chicago does edge out LA for pedestrain activity. Not just for Downtown, but a large swatch of the North Side and West Town has a lot of pedestrian activity. LA is underrated in that department, and there are plenty of areas with people walking around, but I think Chicago wins here.

San Francisco beats 'em both, though.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
Strictly by the numbers, I'd have to go with Miami. It's a very dense city by US standards but much of the city has little to no pedestrian activity.

Also, sorry CaliSon, but I think Chicago does edge out LA for pedestrain activity. Not just for Downtown, but a large swatch of the North Side and West Town has a lot of pedestrian activity. LA is underrated in that department, and there are plenty of areas with people walking around, but I think Chicago wins here.

San Francisco beats 'em both, though.
FOR THE LAST FREAKIN TIME I AM NOT SAYING LA HAS MORE PEDESTRIAN ACTIVITY I WAS ONLY SAYING THAT CHICAGO IS NOT HEAD AND SHOULDERS ABOVE LA PEDESTRIAN ACTIVITY : smack::cryi ng::crying :

Old 07-05-2012, 10:17 AM

1,809 posts, read 2,426,787 times
Quote:
What cities would you say are fairly dense by American standards yet lack pedestrian activity and why? My vote goes to Miami, Phoenix, and Minneapolis but would like to know what are they lacking for this to turn around?
In Minneapolis, the skyway system downtown arguably kills a lot of pedestrian activity.

It has gotten better in recent years, though, with a lot of street-level restaurants/retail opening up downtown, plus Target Plaza bridging the freeway between downtown and Target Field. They've made a lot of streetscape improvements to improve foot traffic, too.

Minneapolis is also extremely walkable in its neighborhoods; I think it ranked among the highest major cities on that 'walkscore' study that came out some time ago...

Old 07-05-2012, 10:50 AM

27,634 posts, read 24,856,537 times
Quote:
Considering LA's density (which has many areas as dense as anything in Chicago or SF), it definitely lacks pedestrian activity in A LOT of dense areas. Compare this to cities such as Chicago or SF where pedestrian activity is pretty much present in every type of dense neighborhood. LA was just not designed and built with the pedestrian in mind, though it is surely trying to change this.

Miami is pretty much a nightmare for pedestrians with the exception of Miami Beach.

These two are probably the only dense cities that are lacking pedestrian activity. Most other cities that lack pedestrian activity (Houston, Atlanta, Dallas, Phoenix, Charlotte, etc) are not in any way dense, so pedestrian activity is not a realistic thing to expect.
Agreed.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:42 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,002,770 times
Quote:
Yeah, I kind of agree here. There is the metromover downtown and in Brickell that encourages some foot traffic, mostly concentrated around Government Center, but it's mostly empty. I can walk around for 30 minutes in Brickell and only see construction workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or