U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-05-2012, 03:48 PM
 
Location: NYC
2,204 posts, read 2,343,724 times
Reputation: 1478

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Without looking at a Census map (and basing this on experience in the city), I'd guess that's because Miami has a relatively even population distribution. It doesn't have particularly high or particularly low density neighborhoods. It's pretty much a medium range of density throughout most of the city.

I also don't think there's as strong a nexus between population density and walkability as some people suggest. Charleston and Annapolis are both low density cities but yet enjoy a more vibrant pedestrian life than much larger and denser cities.
Yeah, think you nailed it. It just doesn't have those 20k-30k+/psm neighborhoods like you see in Philly/DC/Chicago, which give those cities that dense feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-05-2012, 03:50 PM
 
Location: NYC
2,204 posts, read 2,343,724 times
Reputation: 1478
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
agree on Miami as dense in terms of ppsm but I think it is difficult to compare to to a Philly or DC in this regard. The developed areas are different (i.e you dont drive to a garage or valet in either those two in general. Plus to say Miami is more dense than a place like Philly is a little silly as well. In the core 36 sq miles Philly is likely 3 or 4 times the density of Miami. Philly is more dense than SF as an example when reduced to a core sq mileage of SF and DC is similar in this regard but on your original point of not feeling this way well agree but because in its core it really isnt more dense, and not even close really and coupled with the functional set up the feel is even more reduced...
It's not silly, it's a fact. I am comparing entire cities within their municipal boundaries. Core, shmore...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2012, 04:16 PM
 
187 posts, read 338,897 times
Reputation: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
I'll agree with you that it's a great downtown, and much better in reality than by reputation. But 4th, it isn't. Boston, Philadelphia, DC, possibly Atlanta are all better than downtown LA.
I agree with you up to when you say possibly Atlanta downtown. It's big for the size of the city, but as far as activity, it's not that busy from the times I visited. My first visit I actually spent the entire day downtown and because it was a bank holiday I figured that was the reason it was so quiet. Buy when I mentioned this at the Visitor Center, I was told my a lady at the information desk this was how it is on a typical business day.

The next visit I spent several hours again downtown looking around from early 6am until about 1pm as I was on a long layover between flights and had time to kill.. It was a regular business day, and I got to experience the am rush hour. There was a lot of people on the subway that exit by Atlanta Underground, myself as well. But I didn't see the hustle and bustle I'm used to seeing during rush hour in downtown LA and during the noon lunch rush. I don't recall any part that even matches the large pedestrian activity the LA Fashion District have on weekends.

The only cities in the US Ive seen that large of a crowd was in NYC (obviously) , Chicago's North Michigan Avenue, and Boston downtown. Downtown Philly from what I've seen is busy but not at the pedestrian level of the weekend crowds in LA Fashion District. Although I'm pretty sure South Street gets very crowded and especially nights and weekends.

I'm not an authority on Philly's South Street as my experience is limited and it was during the day. At that time it not very crowded and it actually reminded me a lot of Melrose Avenue on west side of LA, this kind of funky vibe and the type of stores. It was the middle of the week, so I think I may have missed the large crowds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2012, 04:28 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: New York / Long Island, NY
45,409 posts, read 37,633,714 times
Reputation: 14588
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Without looking at a Census map (and basing this on experience in the city), I'd guess that's because Miami has a relatively even population distribution. It doesn't have particularly high or particularly low density neighborhoods. It's pretty much a medium range of density throughout most of the city.
Also because the city limits of Miami are small compared to the metro. Unlike Boston, there are no large areas of parks, undeveloped land or airports. A similar sized area of Philadelphia would be much denser than Miami.

Still probably denser than Seattle or Portland, though.

Last edited by nei; 07-05-2012 at 04:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2012, 04:34 PM
 
25,946 posts, read 22,622,695 times
Reputation: 14900
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Fan View Post
I agree with you up to when you say possibly Atlanta downtown. It's big for the size of the city, but as far as activity, it's not that busy from the times I visited. My first visit I actually spent the entire day downtown and because it was a bank holiday I figured that was the reason it was so quiet. Buy when I mentioned this at the Visitor Center, I was told my a lady at the information desk this was how it is on a typical business day.

The next visit I spent several hours again downtown looking around from early 6am until about 1pm as I was on a long layover between flights and had time to kill.. It was a regular business day, and I got to experience the am rush hour. There was a lot of people on the subway that exit by Atlanta Underground, myself as well. But I didn't see the hustle and bustle I'm used to seeing during rush hour in downtown LA and during the noon lunch rush. I don't recall any part that even matches the large pedestrian activity the LA Fashion District have on weekends.
Downtown Atlanta has activity during a normal day during business hours, especially when school is in (GSU), but not so much after business hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2012, 04:38 PM
 
1,194 posts, read 1,428,249 times
Reputation: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Fan View Post
I agree with you up to when you say possibly Atlanta downtown. It's big for the size of the city, but as far as activity, it's not that busy from the times I visited. My first visit I actually spent the entire day downtown and because it was a bank holiday I figured that was the reason it was so quiet. Buy when I mentioned this at the Visitor Center, I was told my a lady at the information desk this was how it is on a typical business day.

The next visit I spent several hours again downtown looking around from early 6am until about 1pm as I was on a long layover between flights and had time to kill.. It was a regular business day, and I got to experience the am rush hour. There was a lot of people on the subway that exit by Atlanta Underground, myself as well. But I didn't see the hustle and bustle I'm used to seeing during rush hour in downtown LA and during the noon lunch rush. I don't recall any part that even matches the large pedestrian activity the LA Fashion District have on weekends.

The only cities in the US Ive seen that large of a crowd was in NYC (obviously) , Chicago's North Michigan Avenue, and Boston downtown. Downtown Philly from what I've seen is busy but not at the pedestrian level of the weekend crowds in LA Fashion District. Although I'm pretty sure South Street gets very crowded and especially nights and weekends.

I'm not an authority on Philly's South Street as my experience is limited and it was during the day. At that time it not very crowded and it actually reminded me a lot of Melrose Avenue on west side of LA, this kind of funky vibe and the type of stores. It was the middle of the week, so I think I may have missed the large crowds.
Center city Philadelphia definitely gets more crowded than LA's fashion district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2012, 04:47 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,243 posts, read 23,598,341 times
Reputation: 10811
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Fan View Post
Downtown Philly from what I've seen is busy but not at the pedestrian level of the weekend crowds in LA Fashion District.
That's like saying "Downtown Philly is not at the pedestrian level of the weekend crowds in Five Points and Underground Atlanta." The comparison is apples and oranges. If you wanted an apples-to-apples comparison, you would compare the Gallery, the Fashion District and Five Points/Underground Atlanta. The only difference between the Gallery and the latter two is that the latter venues are outdoors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2012, 04:53 PM
 
Location: Pasadena, CA
10,089 posts, read 12,122,011 times
Reputation: 3912
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Also because the city limits of Miami are tiny. Unlike Boston, there are no large areas of parks, undeveloped land or airports. A similar sized area of Philadelphia would be much denser than Miami.

Still probably denser than Seattle or Portland, though.
The area directly west of Downtown Miami (Google Maps says Little Havana) actually looks a lot like Hollywood, though probably slightly less developed, and over a smaller area.

East Hollywood: hollywood, ca - Google Maps
Miami: miami, fl - Google Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2012, 04:57 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,243 posts, read 23,598,341 times
Reputation: 10811
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Center city Philadelphia definitely gets more crowded than LA's fashion district.
It was a terrible comparison. It's like saying Fort Greene, Brooklyn is "not at the pedestrian level" of Five Points Atlanta. The former functions as a full-service, multi-dimensional, walkable, residential neighborhood that's seamlessly woven into the Borough's larger urban fabric. The latter functions as a discrete, commercial shopping district.


Gloomy Sunday Five Points Atlanta - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2012, 05:42 PM
 
Location: where u wish u lived
897 posts, read 850,104 times
Reputation: 254
Actually Mr. Yankee the fashion district is always packed with people its just that it gets even more crowded on the weekends, so yes the fashion district probably does have more pedestrian activity then center city, it may be composed of mostly undesirables but that's for another topic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top