Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 12:27 PM

896 posts, read 1,170,388 times

Advertisements

What cities would you say are fairly dense by American standards yet lack pedestrian activity and why? My vote goes to Miami, Phoenix, and Minneapolis but would like to know what are they lacking for this to turn around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 12:43 PM

886 posts, read 1,564,207 times
LA
Atlanta
Miami
Dallas
Houston
Phoenix
San Diego

You know, the usual and they deserve it. What's LA's pedestrian level compared to its rivals NYC or Chicago? Atlanta compared to D.C.? Houston compared to Boston? Dallas compared to Philly? Miami compared to SF? Phoenix compared to Seattle? San Diego compared to Portland?

When you match similar sized areas with their "rivals" you get a better idea on how much the sunbelt is a drop off in pedestrian life. Expanding your transits, building more TODs, widening sidewalks, and moving parking lots behind retail not in front would be a good start for some of these cities.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
LA
Atlanta
Miami
Dallas
Houston
Phoenix
San Diego

You know, the usual and they deserve it. What's LA's pedestrian level compared to its rivals NYC or Chicago? Atlanta compared to D.C.? Houston compared to Boston? Dallas compared to Philly? Miami compared to SF? Phoenix compared to Seattle? San Diego compared to Portland?

When you match similar sized areas with their "rivals" you get a better idea on how much the sunbelt is a drop off in pedestrian life. Expanding your transits, building more TODs, widening sidewalks, and moving parking lots behind retail not in front would be a good start for some of these cities.
LOL ok I will give you new york but chicago? When I went there I didn't see too many more people walking around than what I saw in LA, sure most of the pedestrians in and around DTLA are mostly poor immigrants nut nevertheless the streets have pedestrian activity

Old 07-04-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
LOL ok I will give you new york but chicago? When I went there I didn't see too many more people walking around than what I saw in LA, sure most of the pedestrians in and around DTLA are mostly poor immigrants nut nevertheless the streets have pedestrian activity
Well obviously Chicago is closer to LA than both are to NYC. Size alone would show you that 22 million vs 10 million but its that same size that makes Chicago's case to LA's an advantage, 10 million vs 18 million. Pedestrians coming off the el outnumber their LA counterparts and any good neighborhood in LA and Chicago will show you the difference. From a Brooklyn eye the closest any city has come to rivaling NYC's energy are the northeast areas of SF and the north side of Chicago.

It's not about poverty, it's just that LA is lacking for its size. None of the cities I listed in the sunbelt are devoid of street life (maybe Phoenix) but they don't fair well against cities they should be rivaling.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Well obviously Chicago is closer to LA than both are to NYC. Size alone would show you that 22 million vs 10 million but its that same size that makes Chicago's case to LA's an advantage, 10 million vs 18 million. Pedestrians coming off the el outnumber their LA counterparts and any good neighborhood in LA and Chicago will show you the difference.
your talking as if all 18 million people are in the city of LA, I am comparing downtown to downtown and surrounding neighborhoods, have you visited both cities before? If you did you would know LA's pedestrian activity is almost equal to that of Chicago's even with a crappier PT

Old 07-04-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
your talking as if all 18 million people are in the city of LA, I am comparing downtown to downtown and surrounding neighborhoods, have you visited both cities before? If you did you would know LA's pedestrian activity is almost equal to that of Chicago's even with a crappier PT
18 million metro means how many suburbanites end up in DTLA?

10 million metro means how many suburbanites end up in the loop?

Which downtown has more people and can show its a more vibrant city?

DTLA is comparable to every downtown in America just not midtown and lower manhattan, the loop, financial district of SF, or center city.

Boston city daytime population climbs an extra 1.2 million people and the pedestrian life is proof of that. After 7 PM it feels noticeably smaller. It's not city vs city, what many people fail to realize is that downtowns get a lot of traffic by the surrounding metro.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Well obviously Chicago is closer to LA than both are to NYC. Size alone would show you that 22 million vs 10 million but its that same size that makes Chicago's case to LA's an advantage, 10 million vs 18 million. Pedestrians coming off the el outnumber their LA counterparts and any good neighborhood in LA and Chicago will show you the difference. From a Brooklyn eye the closest any city has come to rivaling NYC's energy are the northeast areas of SF and the north side of Chicago.

It's not about poverty, it's just that LA is lacking for its size. None of the cities I listed in the sunbelt are devoid of street life (maybe Phoenix) but they don't fair well against cities they should be rivaling.
I keep hearing people say this however most people who write this never venture outside of the westside of LA or never been here period, most of the pedestrian activity in LA are in its more immigrant poor areas, I grew up in this part of town I should know

Old 07-04-2012, 01:08 PM

8,625 posts, read 10,148,927 times
Quote:
LA
Atlanta
Miami
Dallas
Houston
Phoenix
San Diego

Instead of focusing on the negatives, why don't you start focusing on the positives with some of these cities? Granted, many of them grew too quickly more recently, but don't ignore the fact that there ARE positive changes happening in these cities.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
18 million metro means how many suburbanites end up in DTLA?

10 million metro means how many suburbanites end up in the loop?

Which downtown has more people and can show its a more vibrant city?

DTLA is comparable to every downtown in America just not midtown and lower manhattan, the loop, financial district of SF, or center city.

Boston city daytime population climbs an extra 1.2 million people and the pedestrian life is proof of that. After 7 PM it feels noticeably smaller. It's not city vs city, what many people fail to realize is that downtowns get a lot of traffic by the surrounding metro.
DTLA is not the destination point to the city like it is in Chicago, most neighborhoods and cities are self reliant and need little venturing out to get things accomplished, however most of the activity in and around DTLA is of poor immigrants like I already said, when I went to Chicago the pedestrian activity was on par to what I see in LA, nothing special

Old 07-04-2012, 01:14 PM

And are you really trying to say that because a CSA is of 18 million that everyone should somehow converge to downtown? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City