U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 10:01 AM

1,575 posts, read 1,541,707 times

Advertisements

We'll find out on September 1. Roll Tide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 10:03 AM

130 posts, read 39,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
So what you are saying is that 75% of Michigan IS like WI & MN.
Re-read the post and you'll see I said, those areas are like parts of Mn and wi, not all parts. Also, the people who make up a region, account for an area's uniqueness. That being said, theres a huge difference between the three states in question on that count alone. For one thing those in Wisconsin and MN dont tend to have the same defensive/inferiority complex many in your state have. This sensitivity over a mere objective comparison is a classic case in poit.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:15 AM

4,234 posts, read 3,112,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurb View Post
Stay in Maryland or take the job in Alabama which I'm sure will be gone after the next recession hits next year. In Michigan, it's a safer bet you'll be out of a job next year when Obama is out of office and the state and the UAW are no longer being bailed out. If you're going to look at the Great Lakes Region, Wisconsin would be my pick. They have 4 million fewer people, more open space and less union influence.

Obama will get re-elected because everybody wants "free" health care.

Wisconsin has high taxes. Wisconsin's property taxes are higher than Michigan's.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Like I said in a previous post, I've been everywhere in your state with the exception of the Traverse City Area. That being said- Yes, I think Michigan is in fact vastly different than its neighbors. Sure, the UP and parts of the mitten, North of Saginaw and west of say Lansing that are like parts of Wisconsin or parts of Minnesota but overall, yes, I tend to see and feel a difference. Rural areas and all, it doesn't feel as open and not as clean as Wisconsin or Minnesota. If you want to play games- Well, There are parts of Detroit that are like certain parts of Minneapolis; however, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone on this board, including you who thinks they're similar.

And again, nobody is bashing your state. If anything, your state tend to get a free pass compared to other states I see getting bashed on this forum. At any rate, I don't get the sensitivity. Look at it this way; if people want to have a negative opinion of your state, well, it's their loss. You probably wouldn't want them in your state, anyway.

Milwaukee and Detroit have many similarities.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Well, I have never gotten the impression that many people enjoy the Wisconsin shore more than the Michigan side, other than maybe some Wisconsin homers. Michigan has the sand, the waves, the beach towns, the sand dunes. Most Chicago folks that have been to both sides of the lake would back me up on that. I've also never heard anyone say that Green Bay is a nicer city than Grand Rapids by any stretch, unless the lone factor is pro sports franchises. You are putting yourself on an island with these declarations. I'm also convinced now that I'm wasting my time trying to argue about these things, since I am allowing for good points that you've made, and there seems to be no willingness for you to do the opposite.

The Wisconsin shore is rocky. The Michigan side is sandy.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:01 PM

12,134 posts, read 22,302,830 times
Quote:
Re-read the post and you'll see I said, those areas are like parts of Mn and wi, not all parts. Also, the people who make up a region, account for an area's uniqueness. That being said, theres a huge difference between the three states in question on that count alone. For one thing those in Wisconsin and MN dont tend to have the same defensive/inferiority complex many in your state have. This sensitivity over a mere objective comparison is a classic case in poit.
Where did this response come from. I never mentioned attitudes or anything else. I simple stated that you said that MI from Lansing West and Saginaw North was like WI and MN. A line from Saginaw through Lansing would leave 3/4 of the State North and West of that line. Which you said WAS like the other States... you seem to be the one with a problem here, nobody else. You make a statement, argue about it; change it, then argue some more.

We get the picture... you don't like MI, get over it already.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:07 PM

213 posts, read 376,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
We'll find out on September 1. Roll Tide!
No way scUM is even competitive with 'Bama.

Not with a quarterback who can't throw!

Old 07-14-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Obama will get re-elected because everybody wants "free" health care.

Wisconsin has high taxes. Wisconsin's property taxes are higher than Michigan's.

You must not have heard of Romneycare.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Where did this response come from. I never mentioned attitudes or anything else. I simple stated that you said that MI from Lansing West and Saginaw North was like WI and MN. A line from Saginaw through Lansing would leave 3/4 of the State North and West of that line. Which you said WAS like the other States... you seem to be the one with a problem here, nobody else. You make a statement, argue about it; change it, then argue some more.

We get the picture... you don't like MI, get over it already.
Wrong again...nobody, including me has expressed any disdain for MI..I spend a lot of my time there. Im just giving my objective opinion, nothing more, nothing less.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
The Wisconsin shore is rocky. The Michigan side is sandy.
Maybe you should see more of the other side....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City