U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-14-2012, 01:24 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL/Houston, TX
874 posts, read 1,128,686 times
Reputation: 567

Advertisements

I always wondered this but which city is 2nd to NYC when it comes to Cabs and the number of cabs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-14-2012, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Tallahassee
305 posts, read 738,796 times
Reputation: 144
Im surpised Miami is people's lists, I find their PT to be awful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 01:47 PM
 
Location: Pasadena, CA
10,087 posts, read 12,659,876 times
Reputation: 3941
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawfiqmp View Post
I always wondered this but which city is 2nd to NYC when it comes to Cabs and the number of cabs?
I'll take a stab in the dark and guess Chicago. Followed by Boston and DC, maybe SF.

Per Wikipedia, Chicago has 7000, Boston has 1800, LA has 2300, DC has around 7000, Houston 2300, SF 1500. To compare NYC has 14,000 licensed taxis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 01:58 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL/Houston, TX
874 posts, read 1,128,686 times
Reputation: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I'll take a stab in the dark and guess Chicago. Followed by Boston and DC, maybe SF.

Per Wikipedia, Chicago has 7000, Boston has 1800, LA has 2300, DC has around 7000, Houston 2300, SF 1500. To compare NYC has 14,000 licensed taxis
Damn. That's surprising to me actually. I thought D.C. and LA would have more and Chicago would have less. No surprise in NYC having at least twice as much as any other cities though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 02:06 PM
 
Location: Pasadena, CA
10,087 posts, read 12,659,876 times
Reputation: 3941
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawfiqmp View Post
Damn. That's surprising to me actually. I thought D.C. and LA would have more and Chicago would have less. No surprise in NYC having at least twice as much as any other cities though.
The thing with LA is they are all concentrated in about 4 areas - Hollywood, Koreatown/Mid-Wilshire, Mid-City West (Fairfax/Weho/Beverly Hills) and in Downtown LA. It also might be distorted a bit because I would imagine Santa Monica has a decent fleet itself. Also cabs are the most expensive in the nation in LA - I can't really figure out why.

Not surprised DC has a lot, considering there are probably a lot of foreign visitors (for business and pleasure) that don't want to rent cars or are not even licensed for the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 02:20 PM
 
1,750 posts, read 2,818,592 times
Reputation: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawfiqmp View Post
Damn. That's surprising to me actually. I thought D.C. and LA would have more and Chicago would have less. No surprise in NYC having at least twice as much as any other cities though.
Funny, is I would think the opposite. Chicago seems to have more Taxi's than any other city not named New York City. In DC, Cabbies own their own cars and are independent, so it is much easier to have a "part time" driver than other cities. I think that drives the numbers up a bit; because Cabs in DC are not as prominent as they are in a few other cities, imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 04:43 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL/Houston, TX
874 posts, read 1,128,686 times
Reputation: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Funny, is I would think the opposite. Chicago seems to have more Taxi's than any other city not named New York City. In DC, Cabbies own their own cars and are independent, so it is much easier to have a "part time" driver than other cities. I think that drives the numbers up a bit; because Cabs in DC are not as prominent as they are in a few other cities, imo.
Maybe I just overlook it a little bit when I'm walking around in Chicago. I just thought if Chicago had 7000, a few other cities would have around the same or more. But it does make sense in some regard because it does have the 2nd largest downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 04:45 PM
 
Location: Pasadena, CA
10,087 posts, read 12,659,876 times
Reputation: 3941
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawfiqmp View Post
Maybe I just overlook it a little bit when I'm walking around in Chicago. I just thought if Chicago had 7000, a few other cities would have around the same or more. But it does make sense in some regard because it does have the 2nd largest downtown.
New York City is probably the only city where they are widely used outside of the downtown areas or CBDs. Los Angeles to some extent but only because of its unique layout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 04:55 PM
 
2,426 posts, read 3,504,163 times
Reputation: 1442
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
New York City is probably the only city where they are widely used outside of the downtown areas or CBDs. Los Angeles to some extent but only because of its unique layout.
Chicago cabs are heavily used outside of downtown, specifically the northside. Wicker Park, Lincoln Park, Lakview, Edgewater, Uptown, Ukranian Village, Lincoln Square, Bucktown, Logan Square, those are all areas where you see cabs all the time and they are easy to get. I live about 7 miles northwest of downtown and getting a cab is very easy. Actually it's become a problem for me. Sometimes I get so lazy when I am at home that I just go outside, hail a cab and have it take me to wherever I am going, instead of you using the public transportation.

I think any city where a significant portion of the population does not use a car or have one, you will find a lot of cabs outside the CBD.

I would say cabs are widely used in Chicago in about 60% of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 06:13 PM
 
Location: In the heights
20,516 posts, read 22,066,187 times
Reputation: 10530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Chicago cabs are heavily used outside of downtown, specifically the northside. Wicker Park, Lincoln Park, Lakview, Edgewater, Uptown, Ukranian Village, Lincoln Square, Bucktown, Logan Square, those are all areas where you see cabs all the time and they are easy to get. I live about 7 miles northwest of downtown and getting a cab is very easy. Actually it's become a problem for me. Sometimes I get so lazy when I am at home that I just go outside, hail a cab and have it take me to wherever I am going, instead of you using the public transportation.

I think any city where a significant portion of the population does not use a car or have one, you will find a lot of cabs outside the CBD.

I would say cabs are widely used in Chicago in about 60% of the city.
60 sounds like too high of a percentage to me since the south side alone comprises about 60% of the land area of Chicago and the south side for the most part is not heavily trafficked by cabs and none of the neighborhoods you listed are south side. General point you have sounds about right though--north side does get heavy cabbing since much of it is very dense and urban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top