U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2013, 11:34 AM

1,616 posts, read 1,851,089 times

Advertisements

NYC
-
-
DC
Chicago
Boston
Philly
SF
-
Seattle
Portland
Baltimore
LA
-
Everyone else
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 11:34 AM

283 posts, read 366,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Now that I've been to most of these cities, here is an accurate list:

1. NYC
2. D.C.
3. Chicago
4. Boston
5. Philly
6. San Francisco
7. LA
This is the most accurate list

Old 12-06-2013, 11:45 AM

10,087 posts, read 12,563,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disposable2 View Post
This is the most accurate list
I agree. I think Los Angeles is closing in on SF. DC is widening the gap with Chicago. Boston has a few expansions in the queue as well, though I don't see it passing Chicago any time soon.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:48 AM

9,585 posts, read 10,917,416 times
Also, Montgomery County approved what will be the largest BRT network in the country last week. It will have 10 lines and combine for 81 miles for the system.

Montgomery County approves new bus plan

Old 12-06-2013, 11:50 AM

8,702 posts, read 11,343,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Wow that is a cool map for Los Angeles. I believe it is not "official" because it has some non-Measure R lines (Sepulveda Pass, Crenshaw Line to DTLA). Pretty great glimpse into the not-so-far-off future of LA Metro, and honestly I think that map you posted is pretty much even with the Philadelphia map (especially because all those Green lines are just trolley buses). LA has a very bright transit future ahead of it, seems like DC is the only place with more ambitious expansion plans.
You mean the Green Lines in Philly? They are Light Rail Trolleys, not trolley buses.

Philly Chick Blog | Philly…The Good, Bad, & Unusual

Old 12-06-2013, 11:54 AM

10,087 posts, read 12,563,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
You mean the Green Lines in Philly? They are Light Rail Trolleys, not trolley buses.

Philly Chick Blog | Philly…The Good, Bad, & Unusual
Sorry that's what I meant. They are street-running, right? Not on a ROW? I guess I don't see them being all that much more functional or speedy than the Rapid Buses in Los Angeles. However if they are on a ROW or even partially on one (ala Green Line in Boston) then I take it back and they would be advantageous over Rapid Buses. It is partially why I think San Francisco is so overrated when it comes to transit, MUNI is very similar to those trolley LRTs and painfully slow.

They do give the streetscape a pretty "urban" look though, that's one definitely advantage

Old 12-06-2013, 12:21 PM

2,226 posts, read 2,995,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Pretty big plan for metro released yesterday. An inner circle line that would create an inner core loop to go along with the start of an outer loop being built in a few years. Should really increase mobilty in and around the region if built. Keep in mind a separate transit agency "MTA" in Maryland is building the outer loop. "WMATA" would build the inner loop. "DDOT" is building the 37 mile streetcar network.

http://planitmetro.com/wp-content/up...Large-Loop.jpg
Any plans on a date? Even if half that number of stations are built, it'd be a huge plus.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:27 PM

8,702 posts, read 11,343,787 times
Quote:
Sorry that's what I meant. They are street-running, right? Not on a ROW? I guess I don't see them being all that much more functional or speedy than the Rapid Buses in Los Angeles. However if they are on a ROW or even partially on one (ala Green Line in Boston) then I take it back and they would be advantageous over Rapid Buses. It is partially why I think San Francisco is so overrated when it comes to transit, MUNI is very similar to those trolley LRTs and painfully slow.

They do give the streetscape a pretty "urban" look though, that's one definitely advantage
They pretty much have their own designated lane, especially on Girard Ave, even though cars can still drive on the lane at some points. In University City the trolley routes go underground and into Center City.

Girard Ave Trolley
http://goo.gl/maps/Tu0Aq
http://goo.gl/maps/pq1qV

In some spots they are more effective than buses, in some spots they are no different than buses.

Here is where the West Philly trolley routes go underground to run through University City and Center City acting as basically a Subway line.

http://goo.gl/maps/XHk18
http://goo.gl/maps/thTxT

They are more charming than buses I think and give the neighborhood a better feel. Here is a pick I took of one of the Trolleys in the West Philly neighborhood of Woodland Terrace just outside of UCity. These trolleys essentially act as buses on rail.

And some in Clark Park

Old 12-06-2013, 12:50 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,740 posts, read 39,621,992 times
The Philly trolleys are very similar to the Boston green line, though they feel a bit more trolleybus-like with the lack of their own lane outside the subway, one-car train, and few if any physical stops oustside the subway. The West Philly neighborhoods in and just to the southwest/west of University City are among the more attractive urban neighborhoods I've seen in the US.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:30 PM

8,385 posts, read 9,947,952 times
Quote:
Wow that is a cool map for Los Angeles. I believe it is not "official" because it has some non-Measure R lines (Sepulveda Pass, Crenshaw Line to DTLA). Pretty great glimpse into the not-so-far-off future of LA Metro, and honestly I think that map you posted is pretty much even with the Philadelphia map (especially because all those Green lines are just trolley buses).
Fwiw, Philly actually has trackless trolley buses that are distinct from the light rail trolley lines.

Philadelphia Trolleybuses (Trackless Trolleys roue 75) SEPTA - YouTube

Quote:
Overall Los Angeles bus system is Top 3-5, and the rail system is Top 10.
I ranked LA at #7 in the country and #2 on the West Coast. I think having Metrolink gives it an edge over other cities like Seattle, Portland, and Cleveland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or