U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2013, 03:15 PM

10,087 posts, read 12,567,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
BART is more of a rapid transit subway system than a true commuter rail system. I compare BART to subway systems like Washington Metro, Chicago L, and the LA County Metro Rail(Red and Purple Lines). So I don't think BART and Metrolink are really that comparable as they are two different types of transit.
That seems fair. If Metrolink and BART were comparable, I'd say BART is better and goes more places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 03:16 PM

2,201 posts, read 4,001,801 times
How do you use the Red Line if you live in Pasadena? That would be a difficult commute and/or walk.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
How do you use the Red Line if you live in Pasadena? That would be a difficult commute and/or walk.
Gold Line to Red Line. Not hard.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:21 PM

572 posts, read 544,276 times
Quote:
It's useful if you live in Hollywood and work Downtown. It's useful if you live in North Hollywood and need to get Downtown. Many, most, people in the city don't travel in those directions, and it should have more ridership than it does for a city this size!

Why don't you travel a little bit, see what real subway/train systems are like, and stop being so LA-centric. People from this city treat it like it's some sort of paradise with no problems. Not very surprised.

Also please explain why and how you used the Red Line if you live in Pasadena?

Do you like taking it just for fun?

The East Coast would eat you guys alive.
I'm from the DC metro area and used the metro all the time there. I lived in Chicago for 10 years. Used the el to get to work every day.

I'm carless in LA right now. I don't consider the redline useless at all. I live in Koreatown and use it often as well as the purple line. That said, I can't wait for the Expo line to open in Santa Monica. The buses are way to packed.

It's not hard to transfer from the Gold Line to the Red Line if you live in Pasadena. It's no different than a Northern Virginia commuter using the orange line and transferring to the red line to Bethesda or Silver Spring.

It's probably less time too. Haha. I never envied those commuters on the DC metro.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:24 PM

LA's bus system is better than DC's as well. The rapid bus down Wilshire, while packed, is pretty damn nice. I also really like Santa Monica's Big Blue bus.

I'm not sure LA's bus system is above Chicago though. Chicago's bus system was really nice and convient.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Gold Line to Red Line. Not hard.
If I'm not mistaken you need to make a transfer at Union Station.

Well, that's technically 'accessible'. I wish there were other alternatives, but its rather difficult and long transferring trains if you don't live around DT.

I'm leaving West Hollywood temporarily to live DT, so I'm looking forward to hopefully being able to give my car a rest.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:29 PM

You need to make transfers in DC and Chicago. What's the issue here?

Do you know much it sucks in Chicago if you live near O'Hare and you have to take the blue line all the way to downtown....and you work, say, in Lincoln Park, or Rogers Park off the red line? That's a lot of commuting time.

You could take a bus to minimize it, but that's the same in Los Angeles. Or DC.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmsTown View Post
You need to make transfers in DC and Chicago. What's the issue here?

Do you know much it sucks in Chicago if you live near O'Hare and you have to take the blue line all the way to downtown....and you work, say, in Lincoln Park, or Rogers Park off the red line? That's a lot of commuting time.

You could take a bus to minimize it, but that's the same in Los Angeles. Or DC.
Same in New York.

But they all have more ridership and better systems.

Oh well. LA is easily in the top 10 but not the top 5.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken you need to make a transfer at Union Station.

Well, that's technically 'accessible'. I wish there were other alternatives, but its rather difficult and long transferring trains if you don't live around DT.

I'm leaving West Hollywood temporarily to live DT, so I'm looking forward to hopefully being able to give my car a rest.
Yes Gold Line, transfer to the Red Line at Union Station. Today I waited for 3 minutes for a Red / Purple Line train to go from 7th Street to Union Station, and waited 6 minutes for a Gold Line train to arrive. Not too bad at all in my opinion.

It is annoying that the Gold Line doesn't go into DTLA. Metro is certainly not flawless (far from it), but the Regional Connector will solve this particular issue.

Not sure if things have improved in other cities, I would imagine they have, but one thing I love about Metro is that they tell you when the next train is arriving. That used to driving me nuts in Boston, waiting for a B, C, D Green Line train. I lived at Cleveland Circle so I could take all three, but the B line stopped directly in front of my apartment and was my "line of choice". However I never knew when the next B Line train was coming, so I rarely let the C or D line trains go by for fear that I would be waiting 30 minutes for the next B line to come through Gov't Center.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:35 PM

Its not top 5, but it's certainly above places like Atlanta, Miami, Baltimore and Seattle. At some point I can see it being top 5 though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or