U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2013, 03:08 PM

4,946 posts, read 8,305,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I posted a list of stops with parking and neither of these two were in that list.

As far as Forest Glen, you can't be serious: http://goo.gl/maps/FcGGJ

It's even surface parking.

These Metro stops outside of DC remind me a bit of the BART stations in the suburban parts of the Bay Area.
That's a huge lot? It's like 30 parking spots. Go read my post from about 5 pages ago. I said between 20 spots at Forest Glen. Show me a huge parking lot. Bethesda, Silver Spring, Ballston, Rosslyn, Pentagon City, Crystal City, etc... Forest Glen is not urban. It's in a residential neighborhood. LLS This is comical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 03:08 PM

110 posts, read 112,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Give it up champ! You can't provide a pic or a google map because it doesn't exist.
Actually I think you threw in the towel, you have resorted to name calling, we both know that the DC office parks are just that office parks

Old 12-16-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmsTown View Post
Nobody goes to these places after work hours. Go to Rossyln and Crystal City lol. There's nobody there!
There's hardly anyone in Ballston. Arlington gets so quiet when nobody is coming to and from work. You would think with their residential density around the metro stops, these places would always be vibrant.

THIS ISN'T TRUE AT ALL.

I never said it's Midtown Manhattan but there is activity in Clarendon, Courthouse and Rosslyn. Crystal City is dead.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:11 PM

9,618 posts, read 10,991,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disposable3 View Post
Yes why have massive parking structures nearby stations? Please don't tell me nobody uses them

I know you don't work in this profession so I will explain how it works. Zoning laws are designed to dictate what must be included in a building. Buildings have a certain required amount of parking that is included for every building constructed unless they receive a variance that says they don't need to include parking. Office buildings then fill the left over parking spaces with visitors to that prospective downtown since very few garages are ever full from actual office workers. Zoning codes are very outdated and they are being rewritten across the nation right now.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:11 PM

572 posts, read 547,567 times
Quote:
Rowhouses = compactness, urban form and creates density!
That's nice. Doesn't make it more interesting or vibrant. DC, and it's suburbs, for all it's TODs, and street walls, doesn't create a lot of vibrancy or interesting areas.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
Are you kidding me? Pentagon City has a gigantic parking garage, with over 4,000 parking spaces.
Where? Because I hope you are not counting the parking lot at the Mall as a Metro lot. LOL.

2,346 posts, read 3,246,613 times
Quote:
Give it up champ! You can't provide a pic or a google map because it doesn't exist.
Look at all the SFH's around DT Bethesda https://maps.google.com/maps?q=downt...yland&t=h&z=15

You have a Midas auto service shop in DT Bethesda?!? Full service parking lot!!! https://maps.google.com/maps?q=downt...41.93,,0,14.06

#reagonomics

572 posts, read 547,567 times
Quote:
I never said it's Midtown Manhattan but there is activity in Clarendon, Courthouse and Rosslyn. Crystal City is dead.
Who's comparing it to Manhattan? These places aren't even Evanston or Pasadena.

Rossyln dies after 6 pm. What are you talking about? I'll give you Clarendon. That's it. Ballston gets pretty damn quiet after 6 pm too.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmsTown View Post
That's nice. Doesn't make it more interesting or vibrant. DC, and it's suburbs, for all it's TODs, and street walls, doesn't create a lot of vibrancy or interesting areas.
Really? People in Dupont Circle, Adams Morgan, U St, Chinatown, Penn Quarter, Georgetown, H Street, Eastern Mkt, Capitol Hill, 14th St, Shaw and Columbia Heights say otherwise. LOL

Old 12-16-2013, 03:14 PM

8,402 posts, read 10,026,996 times
Quote:
Don't change the argument. No one is saying that DC suburb stations don't feature parking because a lot them do especially in PG county. But the one's in Arlington do not have any huge surface lots or structures. There may be a parking garage in Silver Spring but it's not owned by Metro. Most people in Silver Spring and Bethesda walk or catch the bus to the metro. There is no room in DT Bethesda or Silver Spring for a huge parking lot. Give it up Champ.
So basically, the less parking garages DC Metro provides, the more urban its transit system will look when being compared to other cities? That seems to be what I'm getting out of this debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or