U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2013, 02:22 PM

9,588 posts, read 10,923,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmsTown View Post
And LA has a whole beats the crap out of DC and it's suburbs. It's not even close.

Show me what area in L.A. you are talking about. Make sure it fits the urban criteria before you even waste your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

572 posts, read 544,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
So you have never been to DT Bethesda on a Friday Night? It's not Brooklyn but for a burb it's cool.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pics...w=1536&bih=684
Uh yes. And where do these NY comparisons come in? Old Town Pasadena beats Bethesda. Forget comparing these things to Manhattan and Brookyln.

20,136 posts, read 21,752,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Here we go with the insults... I am not going to get into a debate about which ones are more urban. Newark sure is more urban than Bethesda but I know where I would rather live. And I am not gonna debate which is "better". What's better for you is not better for me.

I made a statement about a certain kind of lifestyle - that there is obviously demand for - that DC caters to IMO much better than NY, or any other city. I can count on two hands (maybe not even) the number of modern, luxury apartment buildings in the NYC suburbs (with rail access to the city) that measure up to the quality and quantity that you see in places like Bethesda and Ballston. They generally don't exist.

And yes, the New Rochelle, White Plains and even Stamford downtowns are somewhat ghetto. They are nowhere near as nice as Bethesda or Chevy Chase or Ballston. And if you don't know that then you obviously have never been to any of these place and have no frikin clue what you are talking about. Which would make sense -- the loudest ones are usually the clueless ones.
Well, there might be an argument for other North Jersey cities that aren't Newark such as Hoboken, Newport, and Jersey City. Maybe there's an argument for some of the LIRR stations that have higher frequencies due to multiple lines converging (won't be as frequent as DC subway, but it is 24 hours and is fairly frequent during peak hours). For Metro-North, maybe just Yonkers and a few of the towns hugging the eastern part of the Hudson River? Again, probably pretty low frequencies.

There's also the other can of worms of saying that NYC is much larger in terms of physical boundaries and areas like Riverdale or Flushing are the closer equivalents.

1,871 posts, read 1,239,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
No, you lose, because you apparently think people skateboard down the highway around Northern VA. Sorry, take a look at Google maps, and you'll see parking just east of the station.

HA HA HA. I will see PARKING just east of the station?? yeah I can see some sports on the side of the street. that must be what you are talking about. So you can go to google maps and look it up , but for some reason you won't prove it by providing the street names.

Simply highlarious. You are a child.

4,945 posts, read 8,266,499 times
Quote:
And nobody wants to be in those Arlington places. Hence, nobody walks there after work hours. They're like vertical bedroom communities.
Hello! They live there homey! Arlington has almost 9,000 ppsm.

Old 12-16-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Show me what area in L.A. you are talking about. Make sure it fits the urban criteria before you even waste your time.
What urban criteria?

I've lived in both.

Old 12-16-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Hello! They live there homey! Arlington has almost 9,000 ppsm.
Too bad nobody walks anywhere. Those places are dead. Maybe cause there's nothing to walk to besides some boring chains and deli shops. There's a lot of deli shops in Arlington. Wow.

Old 12-16-2013, 02:25 PM

2,346 posts, read 3,199,185 times
In DT DC I saw parking on medians between the lanes.

You folks say your not southern?

#exposed

Old 12-16-2013, 02:26 PM

4,945 posts, read 8,266,499 times
DT Silver Spring - More urban than LA?

https://www.google.com/search?q=pics...isch&undefined=

DT Bethesda - More urban than LA?

https://www.google.com/search?q=pics...w=1536&bih=684

Old 12-16-2013, 02:27 PM

110 posts, read 111,615 times
Quote:
Too bad nobody walks anywhere. Those places are dead. Maybe cause there's nothing to walk to besides some boring chains and deli shops. There's a lot of deli shops in Arlington. Wow.
I remember in one instance MDallstar posted some videos of Tysons and bethseda, if that's what they think urban is than Houston is an urban monster LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or