U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2013, 02:46 PM

4,945 posts, read 8,260,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmsTown View Post
The two old buildings on your link are from LA. They're called the Rossyln. That's why they popped on your link.

There are no old buildings in Rossyln from the 1920s or 1930s. Use your head. It's not rocket science.
It may have pulled some mistakes on there but you get the gist!

DT Rosslyn - Subway station in the burbs.

HD-WMATA Metro Train Departing Rosslyn Station - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 02:48 PM

20,106 posts, read 21,722,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
Or what about all the dozens of railroad suburbs which do have luxury multifamily and retail and density?

So, for example, in Northern NJ (not a complete list)

South Orange
Montclair
Maplewood
Summit
Milburn
Westfield
Cranford
Red Bank
Princeton
Chatham
Morristown
Somerville
Ridgewood
Westwood
Englewood
Rutherford

Which one of these is not 10x better than somewhere like Wheaton, MD?
I was trying to go by the criteria of fairly frequent mass transit into NYC. I think most of those are pretty far off from the admittedly arbitrary 10 minute frequency into NYC criteria and I believe a lot of them require a transfer at Hoboken or somewhere else to get to NYC.

Old 12-16-2013, 02:49 PM

4,945 posts, read 8,260,768 times
Quote:
Or on Long Island:

Garden City
Great Neck
Manhasset
Huntington
Long Beach
Rockville Center
Port Washington
Glen Cove
Westbury
Lawrence
Bay Shore
Mineola
Northport
Lynbrook
Sayville
Port Jefferson

So much for your surface parking lots! You should do stand up!

Washington DC Metro Red Line Bethesda Station exterior "Downtown Bethesda" - YouTube

Old 12-16-2013, 02:51 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,850,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Oh jeez. Of course there is a ton of great suburbs in the NYC area with cute downtowns and plenty of nice restaurants. Who is disputing that? But none of them (with the possible exception of White Plains) offer the kind of high quality vertical housing options (or as convenient access into the city, for that matter) that you get in some of the DC suburbs. What is so hard to understand?
What does "high quality vertical housing options" mean? You are aware that I posted tons of cities with "high quality vertical housing options" and you dismissed them all as "ghetto". Then when I named a bunch of cities with great downtowns and very nice apartment options and tons of restaurants, you change your standard, and now only want highrises (but, of course, I can't count any of the cities with highrises, because you will call them all ghetto).

So basically you are saying that highrise suburbs don't count because they are too "ghetto" (but not in the case of DC, which is hilarious if you've ever been to Silver Spring or Ballston, which make White Plains look like Beverly Hills) but then lowrise suburban downtowns don't count because you (for some reason) don't count a downtown as quality if it doesn't have highrises.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
If you want to dispute this statement then name one decent NYC suburb (other than White Plains) that has an array of modern luxury apt buildings within walking distance of conveniences and rail that is available in Bethesda and the Ballston-Clarendon corridor. Otherwise, if you want to argue against a straw-man then go bark at someone else.
And I named dozens of NYC area suburbs that "have an array of modern luxury modern luxury apt buildings within walking distance of conveniences and rail that is available in Bethesda and the Ballston-Clarendon corridor" and you responded by dismissing all as "ghetto" (if highrise) and "too short" (if lowrise).

Can you explain, for example, how Montclair, NJ doesn't top these DC suburbs? Tons of sizable apartment buildings (including many midrises u/c), tons of retail, tons of transit (4 rail stations) and extensive streetlife, and over a much bigger area. Is it too ghetto (highrise) or too short (lowrise)? What is the excuse here?

Old 12-16-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I was trying to go by the criteria of fairly frequent mass transit into NYC. I think most of those are pretty far off from the admittedly arbitrary 10 minute frequency into NYC criteria and I believe a lot of them require a transfer at Hoboken or somewhere else to get to NYC.
The DC suburbs don't have 10 minute frequency into DC most of the day, and relative frequency has nothing to do with urbanity.

Are you saying that a shopping mall parking lot with heavy frequency along a rail line is more urban than a dense city with lesser frequency along a rail line? That doesn't even make sense.

And these NJ cities almost all have heavy bus service into Manhattan, along with local bus service. Often the bus service into Manhattan is more frequent.

Old 12-16-2013, 02:55 PM

9,583 posts, read 10,915,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Why even bother, he's already made up his mind that they won't pass this so-called "urban test".

There are many places in L.A. that are urban. Just not the places you guys keep posting. All these places in LA are urban:

Urban
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=los+a...12,242.48,,0,0

Urban
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=los+a...=12,30.83,,0,0

Urban
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=los+a...12,144.31,,0,0

L.A. just doesn't have many neighborhoods outside of downtown L.A. that are urban. A few, but not many. All the places I listed have all the requirments to be labeled an urban neighborhood. Zero lot development. Streetwall without a break in buildings. Street trees or bushes. Little to no surface parking. Even for the few lots there are in downtown LA, they will probably be developed soon.

Old 12-16-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Right... and they all rent condos they don't live in at Braddock Place, so they can get access to the parking!

The only thing weaker than your sarcasm is your grasp on reality.
Maybe you should stage a one-man protest at Braddock Place. Their website even advertises parking, so it must be a conspiracy against you!

http://www.braddockplace.com/index.html

Old 12-16-2013, 02:58 PM

Three of the links don't work. The one that did is urban.

https://www.google.com/maps/preview#!data=!1m8!1m3!1d3!2d-118.493626!3d34.015116!2m2!1f310.43!2f77.48!4f75!2 m9!1e1!2m4!1s1_kf1G-5pnd_0KpMrxET7Q!2e0!9m1!6s4th+Street+%2F+Broadway! 5m2!1s1_kf1G-5pnd_0KpMrxET7Q!2e0&fid=5

Old 12-16-2013, 02:59 PM

110 posts, read 111,572 times
I think we can all agree that the DC burbs are doing a great job of building TOD, however they're not the urban nodes DC boosters make them out to be, atleast not now but they will get better with time.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
What does "high quality vertical housing options" mean? You are aware that I posted tons of cities with "high quality vertical housing options" and you dismissed them all as "ghetto". Then when I named a bunch of cities with great downtowns and very nice apartment options and tons of restaurants, you change your standard, and now only want highrises (but, of course, I can't count any of the cities with highrises, because you will call them all ghetto).

So basically you are saying that highrise suburbs don't count because they are too "ghetto" (but not in the case of DC, which is hilarious if you've ever been to Silver Spring or Ballston, which make White Plains look like Beverly Hills) but then lowrise suburban downtowns don't count because you (for some reason) don't count a downtown as quality if it doesn't have highrises.

And I named dozens of NYC area suburbs that "have an array of modern luxury modern luxury apt buildings within walking distance of conveniences and rail that is available in Bethesda and the Ballston-Clarendon corridor" and you responded by dismissing all as "ghetto" (if highrise) and "too short" (if lowrise).

Can you explain, for example, how Montclair, NJ doesn't top these DC suburbs? Tons of sizable apartment buildings (including many midrises u/c), tons of retail, tons of transit (4 rail stations) and extensive streetlife, and over a much bigger area. Is it too ghetto (highrise) or too short (lowrise)? What is the excuse here?

OMG.....you're kidding right?

This look like Mayberry. I don't see any rooftop pools here.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=montc...12,343.14,,0,0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or