U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-14-2012, 08:42 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,342,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by git45 View Post
That said, London blows all of these cities away.
I'd put Tokyo up with any city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 12:18 AM

754 posts, read 794,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman804 View Post
What makes DC better than Chicago/ Chicago better than DC? They seem pretty close to me.
I'm the rare Chicago CD poster that rides the bus way more than I ride the rails (though I'm in the majority outside CD). I am amazed by the amount of 24/7 options...the Western bus, the Belmont bus, etc., running every 20 minutes into the wee hours. So don't just get stuck on the Metro vs. the el debate and not include CTA buses.

I like the DC metro, but it doesn't seem like there's much late night service.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:36 AM

2,253 posts, read 1,570,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
I'm the rare Chicago CD poster that rides the bus way more than I ride the rails (though I'm in the majority outside CD).
LOL funny how that works, doesn't it?

+1 for keepin' it true. With 90% of the LIARS on this forum (pretenders) that lie about everything your post is comforting.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:01 AM

1,301 posts, read 1,895,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
So while they do certain things really well they have far too many holes. Another perfect example is the MFL subway line with no stop between Broad and 30th street - the current heart of the cbd
The Subway-Surface lines do make stops (or a stop? I forget) between Broad and 30th. True, that would involve an interchange if you were riding the El west from the east side of Broad Street.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:35 AM

9,804 posts, read 7,964,795 times
The DC metrorail map will look like this once the silver line extension in Virginia (on the left) is completed. It's currently under construction and part of it will be in service sometime in 2013:

http://homeinloudoun.com/wp-content/...rorail-map.jpg

Old 07-15-2012, 12:12 PM

18,516 posts, read 15,790,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
I'm the rare Chicago CD poster that rides the bus way more than I ride the rails (though I'm in the majority outside CD). I am amazed by the amount of 24/7 options...the Western bus, the Belmont bus, etc., running every 20 minutes into the wee hours. So don't just get stuck on the Metro vs. the el debate and not include CTA buses.

I like the DC metro, but it doesn't seem like there's much late night service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
LOL funny how that works, doesn't it?

+1 for keepin' it true. With 90% of the LIARS on this forum (pretenders) that lie about everything your post is comforting.
I can't understand all the bus hate on CD.

I love riding buses. Not as fancy as rail, but hey, it gets me to work a lot quicker than driving.

Old 07-15-2012, 03:04 PM

2,253 posts, read 1,570,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post

I love riding buses. Not as fancy as rail, but hey, it gets me to work a lot quicker than driving.
No issues with buses here. Some of the bus systems like in LA are just plain better ways to get around. That's all that really matters anyway that you get from one place to the other.

Old 07-15-2012, 03:27 PM

9,804 posts, read 7,964,795 times
Underground rail is the holy grail of mass transit though.

That's just how it is everywhere you go.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The DC metrorail map will look like this once the silver line extension in Virginia (on the left) is completed. It's currently under construction and part of it will be in service sometime in 2013:

http://homeinloudoun.com/wp-content/...rorail-map.jpg
That will in no way impact my life whatsoever, but I'm in favor of more rails.

Btw, anyone read Time Magazine's love letter to the American freight rail industry? I had no idea it had turned itself into the envy of the world (cheaper than anywhere else, carrying a higher percentage of American cargo than European trains carry European cargo, and did this all without forcing tax payers to lay down new lines or build new stations (unlike trucking campaigning for widened highways and barging campaigning for river dredging paid by tax payers). This is very off topic, but I found it interesting.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post

I live in the Miami suburbs without a car, so I have to ride the bus and thus despise it. First of all, it took me a while to figure out the secret of getting the bus driver to stop for me (the hand waving is the key). Second, I have to deal with all of the Miami traffic and congestion and have everyone request a stop at every block. I try to make it a point to get off when someone else is coming on or getting off anyway because I'd rather walk one block than inconvenience everyone. It takes me 90 minutes some days to get downtown (what would be a 30 minute drive). When I had easy access to trains in other cities, this was never a problem. I get thrilled when I finally make it downtown because I can jump on the metromover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City