U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-16-2012, 11:46 AM
 
1,132 posts, read 1,771,489 times
Reputation: 553

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
I'm the rare Chicago CD poster that rides the bus way more than I ride the rails (though I'm in the majority outside CD). I am amazed by the amount of 24/7 options...the Western bus, the Belmont bus, etc., running every 20 minutes into the wee hours. So don't just get stuck on the Metro vs. the el debate and not include CTA buses.

I like the DC metro, but it doesn't seem like there's much late night service.
They have a few 24 hour buses in DC and Metro goes to 3am on the weekends but that cannot match 24 hour rail service (unless you are really close to a direct bus). I always assume Chicago is much better because of the size of the city but alot of Chicagoans give me a look like "you must not have rode the El in Chicago" (which I haven't) when I suggest it. Maybe it is really close.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-16-2012, 11:56 AM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
15,665 posts, read 18,217,507 times
Reputation: 11164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman804 View Post
They have a few 24 hour buses in DC and Metro goes to 3am on the weekends but that cannot match 24 hour rail service (unless you are really close to a direct bus). I always assume Chicago is much better because of the size of the city but alot of Chicagoans give me a look like "you must not have rode the El in Chicago" (which I haven't) when I suggest it. Maybe it is really close.
That's true. Chicago has a way larger urban footprint that DC. The DC metro is fairly extensive for the size of the city, but it also has problems with track maintenance/delays which can get annoying and unpredictable.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 12:07 PM
 
Location: In the heights
20,115 posts, read 21,737,714 times
Reputation: 10216
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I'd estimate by 2030 over half of those are built. The recently passed transportation bill is most likely going to be a huge boon for 30/10. If (big if) measure R+ gets passed you can expect 30/10 to be a reality, and LA may make a gain on the list, depending on how much other cities' systems expand.

The best part is, quite a few of those lines are already funded so will get built, guaranteed, just a matter of when.
2030 is borderline for getting half of those done (excepting the phase I of the expo line which has been completed albeit almost two years behind schedule for what was supposed to be one of the simpler and most straightforward transit plans in LA) and very optimistic for getting all of it. If that kind of will, funding, and drive does allow LA to go forward on all such plans, then it's likely transit across the nation would probably be booming as well--which is great, though it'd also likely keep comparative rankings pretty similar to what they are now.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 12:10 PM
 
Location: In the heights
20,115 posts, read 21,737,714 times
Reputation: 10216
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I can't understand all the bus hate on CD.

I love riding buses. Not as fancy as rail, but hey, it gets me to work a lot quicker than driving.
Yea, me, too. Since all the websites and apps for the phones have come out, I've been shifting heavy towards buses everywhere I go. The phones are a huge game-changer as buses are oftentimes confusing to figure out unless you've done the route before--now it's just plotted for you.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 12:11 PM
 
Location: In the heights
20,115 posts, read 21,737,714 times
Reputation: 10216
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
No issues with buses here. Some of the bus systems like in LA are just plain better ways to get around. That's all that really matters anyway that you get from one place to the other.
Though to be honest, it's also because LA is pretty limited when it comes to other ways to get around since the subway, light rail, and commuter trains aren't very extensive.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 12:26 PM
 
Location: Pasadena, CA
10,087 posts, read 12,567,366 times
Reputation: 3941
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
2030 is borderline for getting half of those done (excepting the phase I of the expo line which has been completed albeit almost two years behind schedule for what was supposed to be one of the simpler and most straightforward transit plans in LA) and very optimistic for getting all of it. If that kind of will, funding, and drive does allow LA to go forward on all such plans, then it's likely transit across the nation would probably be booming as well--which is great, though it'd also likely keep comparative rankings pretty similar to what they are now.
From the Transport Politic:


I'd say these are the projects on that map done or very close to done by 2030:

For sure done:
1. Expo Line Phase II to Santa Monica
2. Gold Line Extension to Azusa
3. Crenshaw Corridor Line (Between Expo Line and Green Line)
4. Regional Connector downtown
5. Purple Line Extension through La Cienga
6. Van Nuys / Sepulveda Transit Corridor through the SFV

Possible/Probable
1. Purple Line to Westwood
2. LAX connector (in conjunction with Crenshaw Corridor)
3. Green Line South Bay extension (to Torrance) and Norwalk Extension
4. Gold Line East Side extension
5. Santa Ana Branch Corridor

I would imagine the 405 corridor won't be finished before 2030 but possibly not long after that date.

The ones on there you will not see for a long, long time are the Slauson Line (Pink), Vermont Line (Fuschia), Glendale (Yellow), Red Line Extensions, Green Line Extension north to Expo, West Hollywood line (light grey), Purple Line to Santa Monica.

I may be off by saying "half" but this seems close to that. Maybe a little optimistic.... LA has no doubt given themselves a built-in advantage over other cities with the guaranteed funding Measure R provides. I do agree LA is not going to be jumping up this list anytime soon, or ever because the cities above it are making their own extensions, etc.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 12:38 PM
 
Location: The City
21,945 posts, read 30,810,834 times
Reputation: 7489
Are all of the ose under way? 2030 will come quick (slightly more than 15 years)

Am asking because dont know, if they are not underway I am personally doubtful of completion by 2030 given the rate/speed with which infrastructure is built in the US these days
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 12:41 PM
 
Location: In the heights
20,115 posts, read 21,737,714 times
Reputation: 10216
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
From the Transport Politic:


I'd say these are the projects on that map done or very close to done by 2030:

For sure done:
1. Expo Line Phase II to Santa Monica
2. Gold Line Extension to Azusa
3. Crenshaw Corridor Line (Between Expo Line and Green Line)
4. Regional Connector downtown
5. Purple Line Extension through La Cienga
6. Van Nuys / Sepulveda Transit Corridor through the SFV

Possible/Probable
1. Purple Line to Westwood
2. LAX connector (in conjunction with Crenshaw Corridor)
3. Green Line South Bay extension (to Torrance) and Norwalk Extension
4. Gold Line East Side extension
5. Santa Ana Branch Corridor

I would imagine the 405 corridor won't be finished before 2030 but possibly not long after that date.

The ones on there you will not see for a long, long time are the Slauson Line (Pink), Vermont Line (Fuschia), Glendale (Yellow), Red Line Extensions, Green Line Extension north to Expo, West Hollywood line (light grey), Purple Line to Santa Monica.

I may be off by saying "half" but this seems close to that.
Half of it done seems possible. There is the question of whether or not the expo line's phase 1 is indicative of how things will go. Its opening was almost two years behind schedule and nearly $300 million over budget, and this was for what was supposed to be one of the easiest projects with no additional underground tunneling and an already cleared and owned right of way. I'm jubilant with the expansion of LA's infrastructure, but I think this is incredibly worrying and there should be a very public accounting of how this happened and how to prevent this kind of delay and budget inflation before the city gets into far more difficult and expensive infrastructure projects.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 01:01 PM
 
Location: Pasadena, CA
10,087 posts, read 12,567,366 times
Reputation: 3941
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Half of it done seems possible. There is the question of whether or not the expo line's phase 1 is indicative of how things will go. Its opening was almost two years behind schedule and nearly $300 million over budget, and this was for what was supposed to be one of the easiest projects with no additional underground tunneling and an already cleared and owned right of way. I'm jubilant with the expansion of LA's infrastructure, but I think this is incredibly worrying and there should be a very public accounting of how this happened and how to prevent this kind of delay and budget inflation before the city gets into far more difficult and expensive infrastructure projects.
Hopefully the Expo Line is not a sign of things to come. Despite what many think, the Expo Line was not a measure R project... The first Measure R project (Orange Line Chatsworth Extension) was completed under budget and ahead of time.

I believe the Expo Construction authority was downright terrible, particularly because it sounds like the Gold Line extension is chugging along pretty steadily.

As far as KidPhilly's question - shovels are not in the ground for most of those projects but the environmental processes etc. have been underway for the majority of the projects I listed.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 05:32 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 27,254,497 times
Reputation: 7563
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, me, too. Since all the websites and apps for the phones have come out, I've been shifting heavy towards buses everywhere I go. The phones are a huge game-changer as buses are oftentimes confusing to figure out unless you've done the route before--now it's just plotted for you.
Oh yeah. I love those, and they are life savers in new cities.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top