Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 12:21 PM

16 posts, read 77,684 times

Advertisements

I am 22 single male. I can choose to move anywhere in the USA since I maintain an online business. I would also try to get a job waiting tables in the weekend if I move, to supplement my income. I've basically narrowed down to these two cities because of the relatively cheap living costs, which would cross out chicago, nyc,la etc....

Downtown cleveland sounds really attractive, small and compact, so everything you need is only a few miles away, unlike downtown dallas which is really spread out. There is a place called statler arms that looks nice in downtown. I'm only considering moving to downtown only in Ohio.

Phoenix seems like a cool place, it kind of reminds me Vegas because of the desert like climate with palm trees but more resident friendly. I'm open to living in other areas of arizona as well. It seems like a such contrast from where im living in Dallas at the moment.

I want to get a second job waiting tables, as I feel it would open more doors in meeting people, plus i get to socialize on the job since my main job doesn't really entail any face to face meeting with customers. What Im also looking for a vibrant singles scene, such as nightlife,actives, coed sports leagues etc...

Im also wanting to know what city is better in terms of affordability quality of healthcare and if they offer a county health care program and if it's any good. I plan on either getting health insurance for myself or enrolling in a county health care program. I enrolled in the Parkland hospital county health program in dallas, and it wasn't that great, such as long wait time for appointments and the quality of doctors.

Im planning on staying either 6-8- or 12 months, then stay or move.

i've lived in the dallas suburbs all my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 08:00 PM

16 posts, read 77,684 times
i have to make a decision pretty soon but im leaning towards phoenix

Old 07-14-2012, 08:28 PM

51 posts, read 159,525 times
They're both great cities. Do you have any idea what part of phoenix you want to live in? It's a huge city.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:56 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,445,998 times
Phoenix is nice and if its too hot their are some nicer towns at higher elevations that have cooler temps.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:18 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,607,287 times
I'd say Phoenix Scottsdale is a nice area

Old 07-15-2012, 01:00 AM

14,640 posts, read 14,515,004 times
You might try Cleveland just to experience something different. It's an older city with character, museums, a great bar scene and I've been reading a good part of their downtown is being redeveloped.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:23 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,246,793 times
Downtown Cleveland is a much more compact walkable Downtown.

It's becoming the most popular place to live in Cleveland.. Here's a cool article on the spike in Downtown living:
no vacancy: with more residents moving downtown, occupancy rates reach 95 percent

If you are unable to find an available apartment, definitely check out the nearby walkable neighborhoods of Ohio City and Tremont.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:30 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,246,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingman89 View Post

Downtown cleveland sounds really attractive, small and compact, so everything you need is only a few miles away, unlike downtown dallas which is really spread out. There is a place called statler arms that looks nice in downtown. I'm only considering moving to downtown only in Ohio.
Statler is great, but they have any open, I would recommend the E 4th St area for some very cool urban apartments. East Fourth Neighborhood: live on fourth - "Cleveland's Premiere Downtown Living Destination"

Here's a pic from St. Patrick's Day this year of the area:

Old 07-15-2012, 09:28 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,813,816 times
Never been, but downtown Cleveland seems much cooler, more walkable, architecturally interesting and urban than just about any place in Phoenix/Scottsdale. And to give Phoenix credit I found it much nicer than I was expecting (we were in Old Phoenix, in December), but still, it is just too new and sprawling for me- give me the trees and great architecture (from what I've seen) of Cleveland.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:02 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,242,412 times
I think that "Downtown Cleveland" is most definitely the right place for you ....

Downtown Cleveland... Is It For You? - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City