U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Favorite Northern New England States
Maine 15 55.56%
New Hampshire 7 25.93%
Vermont 5 18.52%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 12:09 PM

7,304 posts, read 7,838,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
Maine in my opinion is the most stuck up state of the three. Also, New Hampshire has the ocean too. You've never heard of Portsmouth? It's not just Maine who has the ocean. Maine has more coastline, but is also flatter overall than NH and Vmt. Vermont "looks" the most bland. The whole state practically looks the same. Burlington is just as expensive as Portland, yet Portland in my opinion is bigger and bettter. Although, New Hampshire has the biggest city of the three with with Manchester which is also in the Boston CSA. New Hampshire to me is the best state of the three. I think the people are slightly less pretentious of the New England states. Vermont is right there as well. NH has the highest mountain peaks of the three. Mt. Washington is a real gem. I personally hate driving through Vermont the most. The green mountains all look the same and I'm not sure that is a good thing.
Vermont doesn't look ALL the same. The Champlain Valley, Islands, and shoreline set it apart, and it's more pastoral. Lake Champlain is definitely for me the most impressive in all the Northeast. NH has great skiing and the tallest mountain peaks but Vermont has the widest and best selection of ski resorts in the Northeast. Manchester I don't really find a very interesting city, though it's the largest in Northern New England it's a fairly average mill/river city. Downtown Burlington, Portland, and even Portsmouth are far more vibrant. I'm not sure I understand how Maine is stuck up as I always thought of it as a state with a lot of rugged and hard working people.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 02-25-2013 at 12:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 01:00 PM

2,091 posts, read 2,561,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I'm not sure I understand how Maine is stuck up as I always thought of it as a state with a lot of rugged and hard working people.
I was a little confused by that as well. I'm trying to picture a stuck up lumberjack or lobsterman.

Anyways I picked Maine. Mountains, wilderness, a beautiful coastline, and it hasn't been over run with New Yorkers or Mass-holes.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:12 AM

2,610 posts, read 2,016,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
I was a little confused by that as well. I'm trying to picture a stuck up lumberjack or lobsterman.

Anyways I picked Maine. Mountains, wilderness, a beautiful coastline, and it hasn't been over run with New Yorkers or Mass-holes.

Well I lived in Portland for a brief stint. There is a similar vibe to Seattle. A bit snobbish and pretentious. Those are just my experiences mind you, but I've also heard this by many who have been there/ lived there as well. Perhaps you just have never been there. Or perhaps you haven't had the same experiences as me. Yes Burlington and Portland seem more to life than Manchester. All I said was that Manchester was bigger. Portland and Vermont have gone the way of Sf and Boston. Pricey little cities that are pricing everyone out. I know people who have been born and raised in both Portland and Burlington and they both said that they are getting very expensive and had to move. Portsmouth might as well be added since it is pretty expensive too. Manchester is the biggest out of the three, yet isn't as expensive and is in the Boston CSA. Your idea as Maine as all lumberjacks is humorous at best. You really need to go there and see it for yourself. Stereotypes are the main problem when talking about cities. For people who haven't been there, they always say what "they think" it is like. Yet, the reality is often never the same as the fantasy. Maine is nice, I put it second out of the three. I just personally like NH better. Seems to be less pretentious as Maine. Only Burlington in Vermont is very pretentious. If you don't know what that means, then look it up. These are just my opinions folks. That's what was asked,-our opinions. So I am giving mine. And having lived in two of the three, I think I can speak for them fairly accurately.

I lived in NH when I was a baby, but have visited many times over the years since my mother is from there. I have lived in Portland for a brief stint. My first impression was very friendly town. I was offered to smoke with a couple some marijuana five minutes after arriving. However, I didn't smoke. Right away, I was thinking that the people are going to be super nice/ friendly. So my first impression was actually one of kindness/ niceness. However, it's not like it was my first time in Maine. We had been to Old Orchard beach many times in the summer so I was not a total stranger. Even my roommate was very sweet. However, I did sense and feel a lot of pretentiousness over time and arrogance among the natives. It probably didn't help that I was a New Yorker. When I would go out, I would get harrassed for wearing my Yankees hat. Those Boston Red sux lovers really are annoying. I've heard some funny jokes out of it though. I was in NH visiting my family some years back when some girl said, "hey dude, you got a little poopy on your hat. She was pointing to the NY logo. I thought it was funny. Down the line I had used that same one on some Portland locals. But I responded, "see you in another eighty years. This was before they won the title again after what 82 years. I could be a little off, but that was about how long it had been.

Overall though. New England is a very unigue area and I wouldn't have it any other way. I love the feel of their little towns and I love the charm of the place. However, for someone who has lived in many large cities I could not get used to certain aspects of it. Unless you are in Boston or Providence, there really aren't a lot of big cities in those places

Old 02-26-2013, 10:59 AM

7,304 posts, read 7,838,869 times
I think that pretentiousness is a really small segment of Maine, mostly Portland and points south like York County. That's not to invalidate your experiences but north of Portland is the real Maine to me and I conjure up images of hardworking and flinty people. They have an air of skepticism up there, but mostly good natured and friendly people nonetheless. And as far as the whole lobstermen and lumberjacks term, I think that was classic New England sarcasm (anyone who truly knows New England gets sarcasm), with just a little hint of some truth.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 02-26-2013 at 11:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City