Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you prefer, Phoenix or Miami?
Miami 36 53.73%
Phoenix 14 20.90%
Tie 4 5.97%
Neither 13 19.40%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 08:46 AM

771 posts, read 1,395,103 times

Advertisements

Which city do you prefer?

They both offer to totally different experiences. One thing for sure is they are both hot!

One is all about the beaches and the beautiful people. The other is all about the desert and mountains with a very laid back lifestyle.

Some criteria:

Scenery:
People:
Transportation:
Weather:
Architecture:
Sports:
Education:
Economy:
Location/Geography:

Last edited by JMT; 03-20-2012 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: No skyline comparisons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 08:57 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,055,922 times
Scenery: Miami
People: Miami
Transportation: Miami
Weather: Miami
Architecture: Miami
Sports: Miami
Education: Miami
Economy: Miami
Location/Geography: Miami

Last edited by JMT; 03-20-2012 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: No skyline comparisons.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:06 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,003,070 times
Some criteria:

Location/Geography: Miami.

This is a poll Miami may actually do well in. The two cities are very very different and if someone is not a beach person and more of a suburbia like to be closer to higher elevations person they may prefer PHX. But in my opinion the two cities don't share much and honestly don't compare well. Miami beats Phoenix in just about everything. I can't really think what Phoenix has better than Miami. I am sure there is something of course, but right now I can't really say. Would like to know though.

Miami is a international city, a world gateway, a huge tourist destination etc.. It would be hard for Phoenix to compare. I see why it would be fun to see what people have to say about them though.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:12 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,899,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Some criteria:

Location/Geography: Miami.

This is a poll Miami may actually do well in. The two cities are very very different and if someone is not a beach person and more of a suburbia like to be closer to higher elevations person they may prefer PHX. But in my opinion the two cities don't share much and honestly don't compare well. Miami beats Phoenix in just about everything. I can't really think what Phoenix has better than Miami. I am sure there is something of course, but right now I can't really say. Would like to know though.

Miami is a international city, a world gateway, a huge tourist destination etc.. It would be hard for Phoenix to compare. I see why it would be fun to see what people have to say about them though.
Come on better scenery! I agree that Miami win in most categories, let's be fair and balanced.

Scenery: Phoenix
People: Phoenix
Sports: Tie: both cities suck in this department, just look at the Dolphins.
Education: Phoenix
Location Miami

Old 03-20-2012, 01:25 PM

398 posts, read 750,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
Come on better scenery! I agree that Miami win in most categories, let's be fair and balanced.

Scenery: Phoenix
People: Phoenix
Sports: Tie: both cities suck in this department, just look at the Dolphins.
Education: Phoenix
Location Miami
Miami has a better scenery to me. The lush tropical palm trees, tons of flowers, white beaches, islands and vegetation plus the crystal clear tropical waters. Miami wins in education also. Let's not even talk about media/fashion/shopping/diversity.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:30 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,560,294 times
^ the "people" in Phoenix are better than in Miami? Care to explain that one? The city is full of old Conservative retirees!

Old 03-20-2012, 01:31 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,889,815 times
It's pointless to compare these two cities. They're totally different.

I don't like the ocean, flat places, humidity, caribbean anything(food, music, pastel pink flamingo buildings) ,or when people say" the beach" like it's actually something to do.

Anyone from Miami would hate Phoenix.

As for tourist destination, both have many visitors every year, though the majority of people flying into Phoenix are coming for the Grand Canyon and other things in rural AZ not Phx, so Miami wins that I suppose.

Most people from back east(where there's more people) go to Florida when they get sick of cold and/or already have family there. It's what they're familiar with and fits the tv commercial image of vacation, palm trees, the beach ,etc.

Phoenix is a Western sun-belt city layed out and similar to LA, a place people in the Northeast bag on frequently.

Phoenix won't win on this poll, especially since it's on CD.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:36 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,889,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
^ the "people" in Phoenix are better than in Miami? Care to explain that one? The city is full of old Conservative retirees!
Isn't FL full of old people from NJ/NY? I thought it was where they all go to retire and play golf?

Old 03-20-2012, 01:38 PM

398 posts, read 750,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
It's pointless to compare these two cities. They're totally different.

I don't like the ocean, flat places, humidity, caribbean anything(food, music, pastel pink flamingo buildings) ,or when people say" the beach" like it's actually something to do.

Anyone from Miami would hate Phoenix.

As for tourist destination, both have many visitors every year, though the majority of people flying into Phoenix are coming for the Grand Canyon and other things in rural AZ not Phx, so Miami wins that I suppose.

Most people from back east(where there's more people) go to Florida when they get sick of cold and/or already have family there. It's what they're familiar with and fits the tv commercial image of vacation, palm trees, the beach ,etc.

Phoenix is a Western sun-belt city layed out and similar to LA, a place people in the Northeast bag on frequently.

Phoenix won't win on this poll, especially since it's on CD.
That isn't a tv commercial image, that is reality, Florida has 100's of miles of nice beaches. Florida is 19 million people man. 4th most populated state, and 8th densest (this is with all the national parks/wetlands/everglades. South Florida is the longest urbanized stretch in the U.S. outside of New York Metro. It's the 5th largest urbanized area in the U.S.
So yeah you are right, people on city data would probably prefer it over Phoenix and these places are way different.

of course this is a way different scene than Phoenix

Last edited by Lizz0rd; 03-20-2012 at 01:55 PM..

Old 03-20-2012, 01:38 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,899,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizz0rd View Post
Miami has a better scenery to me. The lush tropical palm trees, tons of flowers, white beaches, islands and vegetation plus the crystal clear tropical waters. Miami wins in education also. Let's not even talk about media/fashion/shopping/diversity.
The beach is Miami's saving grace. The landscape is flat and boring compared to Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City