Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 01:52 PM

637 posts, read 1,015,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
Yeah, I definitely agree.

Guy 1: I'm moving to the D.C. area.
Guy 2: Oh? What part?
Guy 1: Baltimore.
Guy 2: ....
Yeah, so why do these Bay Area people continually shoving their "CSA" down our throats when CSA's to the rest of the United States means nothing.

In the real world, no one thinks that San Jose and San Francisco have anything in common except geographic proximity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 01:56 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,855,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Street View Post
I have never heard somene from Princeton or Hamilton claim they were Philadelphians because they get TV stations from both NYC and Philly. I don't see how that has any relevance, as if we should determine metropolitan areas by scanning radio dials or cable TV packages.
The media market certainly has some relevance, although you're right that it's only part of the picture. For a quick breakdown, all of northern Mercer's zip codes start with 085, which puts them in both NYC and Philly's market. Trenton and some of the surrounding zip codes are 086, which is exclusively in the Philadelphia market. I think combined with the commuter patterns, northern Mercer goes to NYC and southern Mercer goes to Philly (but it's a transition area on the whole).

Old 07-25-2012, 02:04 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
I would think that isn't true, because most growth since WWII has been in Northern Mercer. Trenton has been in steep population decline. Almost all the shopping and business centers are in the north.

And Hamilton is definitely a NYC commuter suburb. It's mostly Italians from Staten Island. That's why they built that train station for trips to Manhattan. It's one of the busiest stations into Manhattan. Lots of Port Authority officers, NYC teachers, and the like.

West Windsor Township is about 12 miles from the Outerbridge. That's 15 minutes. I know because I dated a girl from there, and I'm pretty sure that's Mercer. It's definitely NY territory in terms of sports teams, accents, and the like, though that's irrelevent for the metropolitan determinations.

I respect your opinion, but the Census numbers are what counts.

I have never heard somene from Princeton or Hamilton claim they were Philadelphians because they get TV stations from both NYC and Philly. I don't see how that has any relevance, as if we should determine metropolitan areas by scanning radio dials or cable TV packages.

I went to Cornell undergrad and we got two NYC local stations (WPIX and Fox5), for some reason. Does that mean Ithaca is part of Metro NYC? I mean, I don't get the relevance. Ithaca was technically in the Syracuse TV market, but we got these two random stations from NYC. I think we got one from Binghamton too.

while there are some blended aspects between the two on the whole there is still more Philly influcence per capita

there are some sports affiliations on the common census mapping project link isnt working now but look up where the yanks and phils break and where the giants and eagles do (oddly the mets and jets dont really show as well)

Also Trenton and Hamilton combined have 1/3rd of the whole population, throw in Ewing and Titusville and I think you get close to 50% in the towns straddling the DE river, that doesnt onclude places further west like Pennington for example which are definately closer to Philly, Princeton is absolutly closer to Philly in drive time and distance.

As someone who is regularly all over this part of jersey even is say West Windsor and exit 8a - I dont think it humanly possible to get from West Windsor and on to Staten with a running start and EZ Pass; I agree it isnt that far though, the closest points of Philadelphia and NYC are only 46 miles as the crow flies to begin with. And Mercer has influence from or to both, agree but still more to philly; West Windsor though to your point or a place like Cranberry will be more pronounced toward NYC and many other parts more tied to Philly. The county isnt an either/or in any sense though which is why it is an imperfect affiliation regardless

Old 07-25-2012, 02:06 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,252,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Then why are you losing sleep over it? It was relevant enough to trigger a response from you, make that a chain of responses from you. Are you losing sleep over this??
No one cares in Miami. It's always the same with Miami no one there cares about the rest of the world yet it seems everyone else cant seem to get enough of it. You're one of those people. Miamians have better things to do to occupy the time of their day.

How ironic because I am in Seattle right now and I don't see how it makes Seattle a better city because it has a larger GDP. Actually many things about Seattle are exaggerated nonsense now that I've spent over 65 days here and I have seen everything from Bellingham, Mount Vernon, the Cascades, Bainbridge Island, the Olympics, Whidbey Island, and more. Seattle has grown on me but after spending every day outdoors and exploring every corner of this city that I can instead of spending time indoors, I can tell you that its just people that have lost their mind who think Seattle could compete with Miami, Philly, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Boston, or DC. Sure in downtown it feels just as large but the metropolis feels MUCH smaller than every single one of those cities.

Seattle is definitely overhyped on this forum. It's lovely and has a lot going for it but the level its put on is reaching IMO. I know something about big cities/Metropolises because my whole life I lived in Boston, DC, and Miami and have been to NY numerous times, Chicago, LA, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston numerous times, Philly a few times, and all of these places feel so much bigger than Seattle. It's not even debatable.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:32 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
No one cares in Miami. It's always the same with Miami no one there cares about the rest of the world yet it seems everyone else cant seem to get enough of it. You're one of those people. Miamians have better things to do to occupy the time of their day.

How ironic because I am in Seattle right now and I don't see how it makes Seattle a better city because it has a larger GDP. Actually many things about Seattle are exaggerated nonsense now that I've spent over 65 days here and I have seen everything from Bellingham, Mount Vernon, the Cascades, Bainbridge Island, the Olympics, Whidbey Island, and more. Seattle has grown on me but after spending every day outdoors and exploring every corner of this city that I can instead of spending time indoors, I can tell you that its just people that have lost their mind who think Seattle could compete with Miami, Philly, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Boston, or DC. Sure in downtown it feels just as large but the metropolis feels MUCH smaller than every single one of those cities.

Seattle is definitely overhyped on this forum. It's lovely and has a lot going for it but the level its put on is reaching IMO. I know something about big cities/Metropolises because my whole life I lived in Boston, DC, and Miami and have been to NY numerous times, Chicago, LA, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston numerous times, Philly a few times, and all of these places feel so much bigger than Seattle. It's not even debatable.
I agree. I sometimes think people are talking about a different Seattle.

Wonderful City, but its placed on too high of a pedestal on here.

I know it is going to make a lot of people mad but I think they do the same with SF too often and the opposite with Boston. SF is overpraised, while Boston is not given as much love. Would rank Boston with SF anyday.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:58 PM

37,133 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
Yeah, so why do these Bay Area people continually shoving their "CSA" down our throats when CSA's to the rest of the United States means nothing.

In the real world, no one thinks that San Jose and San Francisco have anything in common except geographic proximity.
Actually, it's because of the real world that people consider San Jose and San Francisco part of the same entity known as the Bay Area and it's confusing that the census so arbitrarily splits such a coherent urban area.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:09 PM

456 posts, read 774,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post

Seattle is the 15th largest metro region (Its not even top 10) and all the above mentioned places have at least 1 million more people. Of course, a metro area is going to seem larger in surface area when you're housing that many more people. So if you define compete as population level then you can just shut this forum down and refer everyone to the census bureau with a possible exception for those squabbling over CSA/MSA definitions.

However, everyone here is also very busy comparing various quality of life issues, average densities, inner city core layouts etc. On those metrics which are more subjective it is possible to make comparisons without it seeming silly.

As an addendum: having a relative larger per capita GDP means a relatively richer population and tends to correlate with relative poverty rates. so it is meaningful on the ground as well.

Ben

Old 07-25-2012, 04:06 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,005,791 times
Quote:

NO. Miami doesn't hold a candle to Seattle. Seattle is where you have jobs on a high payroll, they're called careers. Miami is where you work in the tourism, service, and retail industries for cheap. Or look at it another way since you wont accept CSA then the Seattle MSA is 3.5M and GMP is $242B compare that to your Miami MSA 5.5M and GMP is $260B. Which one do you think is richer especially after you see the huge size difference?

Then why are you losing sleep over it? It was relevant enough to trigger a response from you, make that a chain of responses from you. Are you losing sleep over this??

What's with you easterners and your love obsession with where people live. Every conversation with someone from the east turns into where I live. This is exactly why I love the west, its not just progressive, beautiful, low crime, and surging but its also a more united place than the east. Newsflash, just because I live in California doesn't mean I cant give Seattle a push where it deserves one.

?
Yes you are right, no one in Miami has careers. Well just leave you comment at that.

I responded because I was pointing out the facts established in the report you gave us. At least indicate that you added cities to seattles numbers.

As for your final comment I quoted you have to be kidding me right? Seriously, I guess you westerners don't have good memories. N
Quote:

I see you live in DC also then why are you mad? At least one of your cities have a respectable GMP. LOL

YOU asked me why I care. YOU stated, "I see you live in DC so why do you care." So it's ok for YOU to ask me why I care because one of the cities i live in is DC. But me asking you why you care being from California is some crazy obsession us easterners have. Talk about good logic

Old 07-25-2012, 08:18 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times
Quote:
What is this for? How is Mercer farther from NYC than from Philly?

Most of the people in Mercer live up by Princeton. That's 15 minutes from the Outerbridge Crossing into NYC.

And again, it doesn't matter. Mercer County could be one million miles from NYC and one inch from Philly. It has nothing to do with metropolitan area classifications.
You're confused. 75% of Mercer population live in Trenton/Lawrence/Ewing/Hamilton down by Philly. I'm on the west side of philly and hear radio ads all the time for Infinty of Princeton, BMW of Lawrence etc etc.

Trenton NJ on the East. Morrisville Bucks County PA to the west of the Delaware river. NYC an hour to the NE

Strongest AM radio stations in Trenton:
•WBUD (1260 AM; 5 kW; TRENTON, NJ; Owner: MILLENNIUM CENTRAL NEW JERSEY LICENSE HOLDCO, LLC)
•WWJZ (640 AM; 50 kW; MOUNT HOLLY, NJ; Owner: ABC, INC.)
•WPHT (1210 AM; 50 kW; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
•WHWH (1350 AM; 10 kW; PRINCETON, NJ; Owner: MULTICULTURAL RADIO BROADCASTING, INC.)
•KYW (1060 AM; 50 kW; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
•WTTM (1680 AM; 10 kW; PRINCETON, NJ; Owner: MULTICULTURAL RADIO BROADCASTING, INC.)
•WZZD (990 AM; 50 kW; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: PENNSYLVANIA MEDIA ASSOCIATES, INC.)
•WPEN (950 AM; 50 kW; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: GREATER PHILADELPHIA RADIO, INC.)
•WIMG (1300 AM; 3 kW; EWING, NJ; Owner: MORRIS B/C COMPANY OF N. J. INC.)
•WNWR (1540 AM; 50 kW; PHILADELPHIA, PA)
•WPHY (920 AM; 1 kW; TRENTON, NJ; Owner: NASSAU BROADCASTING II, L.L.C.)
•WVCH (740 AM; 50 kW; CHESTER, PA; Owner: WVCH COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
•WIFI (1460 AM; 5 kW; FLORENCE, NJ; Owner: REAL LIFE BROADCASTING)

Strongest FM radio stations in Trenton:
•WPST (97.5 FM; TRENTON, NJ; Owner: NASSAU BROADCASTING II, L.L.C.)
•WKXW-FM (101.5 FM; TRENTON, NJ; Owner: MILLENNIUM CENTRAL NEW JERSEY LICENSE HOLDCO, LLC)
•WNJT-FM (88.1 FM; TRENTON, NJ; Owner: NEW JERSEY PUBLIC BRD/CST AUTHORITY)
•WPRB (103.3 FM; PRINCETON, NJ; Owner: PRINCETON BROADCASTING SERVICE, INC.)
•WTHK (94.5 FM; TRENTON, NJ; Owner: NASSAU BROADCASTING II, L.L.C.)
•W220AG (91.9 FM; LAWRENCEVILLE, ETC., NJ; Owner: BUX-MONT EDUCATIONAL RADIO ASSOC.)
•WWFM (89.1 FM; TRENTON, NJ; Owner: MERCER COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE)
•WMGK (102.9 FM; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: GREATER PHILADELPHIA RADIO, INC.)
•WMWX (95.7 FM; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: GREATER PHILADELPHIA RADIO, INC.)
•WOGL (98.1 FM; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
•WBEB (101.1 FM; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: WEAZ-FM RADIO, INC.)
•WRTI (90.1 FM; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: TEMPLE UNIV. OF THE COMMONWEALTH, ET)
•WSNI-FM (104.5 FM; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
•WPHI-FM (103.9 FM; JENKINTOWN, PA; Owner: RADIO ONE LICENSES, LLC)
•WYSP (94.1 FM; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
•WHYY-FM (90.9 FM; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: WHYY, INC.)
•WXPN (88.5 FM; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: TRUSTEES OF THE UNIVERSITY OF PENNA.)
•WXTU (92.5 FM; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: WXTU LICENSE LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
•WJJZ (106.1 FM; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
•WMMR (93.3 FM; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)

TV broadcast stations around Trenton:
•WNJT (Channel 52; TRENTON, NJ; Owner: NEW JERSEY PUBLIC BROADCASTING AUTHORITY)
•WNJN (Channel 50; MONTCLAIR, NJ; Owner: NEW JERSEY PUBLIC B/CNG AUTHORITY)
•W25AW (Channel 25; TRENTON, NJ; Owner: WZBN TV, INC.)
•KYW-TV (Channel 3; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: CBS BROADCASTING INC.)
•WPHL-TV (Channel 17; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: TRIBUNE TELEVISION COMPANY)
•WPPX (Channel 61; WILMINGTON, DE; Owner: PAXSON PHILADELPHIA LICENSE, INC.)
•WPVI-TV (Channel 6; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: ABC, INC.)
•WPSG (Channel 57; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: VIACOM STATIONS GROUP OF PHILADELPHIA INC.)
•WCAU (Channel 10; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: NBC SUBSIDIARY (WCAU-TV), L.P.)
•WGTW (Channel 48; BURLINGTON, NJ; Owner: BRUNSON COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
•WYBE (Channel 35; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: INDEPENDENCE PUBLIC MEDIA OF PHILADELPHIA, INC.)
•WELL-LP (Channel 8; WILLOW GROVE, ETC., PA; Owner: WORD OF GOD FELLOWSHIP, INC.)
•WWJT-LP (Channel 7; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: PHILADELPHIA TELEVISION NETWORK, INC)
•WUVP (Channel 65; VINELAND, NJ; Owner: UNIVISION PHILADELPHIA LLC)
•WHYY-TV (Channel 12; WILMINGTON, DE; Owner: WHYY, INC.)
•WNYW (Channel 5; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: FOX TELEVISION STATIONS, INC.)
•WCBS-TV (Channel 2; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: CBS BROADCASTING INC.)
•WTXF-TV (Channel 29; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: FOX TV STATIONS OF PHILADELPHIA)
•WABC-TV (Channel 7; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: AMERICAN BROADCASTING COMPANIES, INC)
•WPIX (Channel 11; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WPIX, INC.)
•WWOR-TV (Channel 9; SECAUCUS, NJ; Owner: FOX TELEVISION STATIONS, INC.)
•WPXN-TV (Channel 31; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: PAXSON COMMUNICATIONS LICENSE COMPANY, LLC)
•WNJS (Channel 23; CAMDEN, NJ; Owner: NEW JERSEY PUBLIC BROADCASTING AUTHORITY)
•WNBC (Channel 4; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: NATIONAL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
•WNET (Channel 13; NEWARK, NJ; Owner: EDUCATIONAL BROADCASTING CORPORATION

Old 07-25-2012, 08:27 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times
This image kind of backs up the notion that Trenton not being in the Philadelphia MSA or even its CMSA is a flat out joke.

This is why certain Philly posters take offense to people gloating about phony csma stats and how city X's economy and stature passed Philadelphia. Well when city X's encapturement area sprawls 120 Miles and Philadelphia's cant get awarded with an area 400 feet across the Delaware River , posters from Philly may have a problem with the braggadociousness.

http://photos4u2c.files.wordpress.co...er-trenton.gif
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City