Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2012, 10:31 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,752,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jamaica,Queens boy View Post

It's the big red beige and grey apartment building across the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 10:35 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,752,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
That actually wouldn't look too bad if somebody picked up the trash and mowed the grass.

There's a lot more wrong with those buildings than unkempt grass and litter... One would have to look inside to see why they were rated one of the worst projects in the country.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:42 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,827,825 times
Oh ok cool @ Nineties

Old 08-19-2012, 11:56 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
what?
Beware of the hood. South Florida's REAL

Old 09-14-2012, 04:36 PM

587 posts, read 1,411,052 times
There's no way SF or LA have the best looking ghettos.

I somewhat agree. California hoods simply look different. But take an area like Watts for example. In Watts, there are tons of empty vacant lots, dead grass and trash strewn everywhere, barred up windows on all the split level houses, rusted tin roofs etc. Many houses in the worst parts of the Bay and L.A. are nothing more than a dressed up shack with a small yard and a tiny drive way.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:47 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
The rough parts of Miami don't really look that rough. Probably because it's a newer city. But, nonetheless, beware. Crawling along I-95 north of downtown in stop and go traffic is not an easy-breezy feeling, after what used to happen there during the 80s, from what I have read.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:48 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,406,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
There's no way SF or LA have the best looking ghettos.

I somewhat agree. California hoods simply look different. But take an area like Watts for example. In Watts, there are tons of empty vacant lots, dead grass and trash strewn everywhere, barred up windows on all the split level houses, rusted tin roofs etc. Many houses in the worst parts of the Bay and L.A. are nothing more than a dressed up shack with a small yard and a tiny drive way.
Still don't look worse then urban grit though. Those shacks don't look worse then the empty brick houses all over Camden and Baltimore.

If things were to become fixed up I beleive watts and sf ghettos would be easier to handle them repairing Camden and parts I Baltimore.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:54 PM

587 posts, read 1,411,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
Still don't look worse then urban grit though. Those shacks don't look worse then the empty brick houses all over Camden and Baltimore.

If things were to become fixed up I beleive watts and sf ghettos would be easier to handle them repairing Camden and parts I Baltimore.
True. But the difference is that SF and LA are world class cities. World class U.S. cities like NYC, LA, SF and DC are the hubs of gentrification. Oakland, Camden and Baltimore are ghetto second tier cities which may never see rapid crime reduction and widespread gentrification. In SF, all the city has to do is knock down the projects in places like Hunter's Point and Sunnydale. In Baltimore, Oakland and Camden, you would have to bulldoze down massive swaths of the cities. That being said, certain SF ghettos look just as bad as anywhere in Baltimore, Camden or Chester, PA. Case in point, take a look at the Potrero Hill Projects in SF (the hood where O.J. Simpson grew up) and tell me this looks "nice":

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&sa...ed=0CB4Q8gEwAA

Old 09-14-2012, 05:14 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,406,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Beware of the hood. South Florida's REAL
I have been to the hoods in south Florida. I spent some time in the ghettos of west palm beach. It look like a place to avoid but I wasn't used to the dead feeling.

The Miami ghettos look different then east coast ghettos but felt the same.

West palm beach ghettos felt like a suburban ghetto. It felt like I was in a long island ghetto whereas Miami felt like I was in the boroughs ghetto if you know what I mean.

But I ain't scared of the hood though their All the same to me.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:20 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times
It a neighborhood looks good is it still classified as the ghetto? I the modern implications of the word would eliminate some of the areas discussed in this thread as not-so-ghetto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City