U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2009, 05:01 PM

2,161 posts, read 3,980,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Yeah, I think it's just personal taste after a certain point. I'm completely fine being outside as long as it's above 20 degrees, and all bundled up I don't have any issues staying comfortable if it's above about 10 degrees or so. Below that I try not to be outside as much, but only once or twice a year in Chicago when you have those random really cold mornings/days do I actively try to avoid being outdoors for any period of time.

I can NOT do heat though. I almost start freaking out when I go down south and it's like 95 degrees. Screw humidity, heat is heat to me. The whole "well it's 110, but it's a dry heat!", makes no difference to me. It must be my Scandanavian blood.

In the end I think it's just the inherant fact that warm blooded animals are good at warming themselves up (since they produce heat), but not equipped with cooling themselves down once you go past the point of discomfort.
It really doesn't mean anything. When it's 100 degrees, it's 100 degrees whether it's humid or dry. That means it's hot either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 05:03 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,680,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
BEST (in order):

1) El Paso, TX - 4 seasons, but none opressive in the least; winter highs in the high 50s to low 70s and summer highs top out generally only in the low 100s with no humidity and cooldowns at nights.

2) Albuquerque, NM - Just a slightly cooler version of El Paso, TX year-round

3-t) San Diego

3-t) Los Angeles

5) Sacramento, CA - high underrated climate

6) Columbia, SC

7) Atlanta, GA

8) Orlando, FL

9) Tucson, AZ

10) Louisville, KY

WORST (in no particular order)

-Boston, MA
-Buffalo, NY
-Minneapolis / St. Paul, MN
-Seattle, WA
-Death Valley, CA
-Milwaukee, WI
-Chicago, IL
-Detroit, MI
-Cleveland, OH
-Des Moines, IA
-Syracuse, NY
-Indianapolis, IN

OVERRATED CLIMATES

-San Francisco, CA
-Denver, CO
-Portland, OR

Very unique view of things, I live near Sacramento, well enough to get the same exact climate. I've never heard someone mention it in the best climates category. Usually the central valley weather is put down due to some of the best weather anywhere elsewhere in our state.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:27 PM

7,412 posts, read 8,212,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
Very unique view of things, I live near Sacramento, well enough to get the same exact climate. I've never heard someone mention it in the best climates category. Usually the central valley weather is put down due to some of the best weather anywhere elsewhere in our state.
I agree that Sacramento is way too hot to be a best climate and it gets worse the further up the valley or down the San Joaquin valley [Redding & Bakersfield are ovens! Los Angeles\ coastal SoCal is probably the most comfortable climate in the nation.

The worse climate has to be the Southern cities during summer & the northern cities during winter.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:19 AM

284 posts, read 630,553 times
IMO dont yell at me
BEST
1. st Luis not as cold as chi
2. Chicago i live here and used to it i love winter and snow and driving in it
3. New York
4. san fran i heard they get cold up there for winter not like chi but it is colder
WORST
1. Miami i like to breath air not drink it
2. New orleans same as miami

Old 12-11-2009, 08:39 AM

184 posts, read 509,569 times
I love the winter in Chicago the only thing is that the winters are somewhat too long but it ain't that bad. Summertime in Chicago for me is great, i mean high 70's low 80's is perfect and I really don't have a problem with it being humid because it's still not that hot. The worst weather in the nation goes to Houston, San Antonio and McAllen Texas, omg it is so damn hot there. It is almost like getting into your oven at home and not being able to breathe. You can't even be outside because it is just to damn hot. I dislike texas weather but who knows I head Phoenix was even worse than these cities.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:41 AM

20,790 posts, read 35,857,222 times
I prefer areas generally along and north of 41-42N with regard to climate (excluding any semi-arid or arid locales). I am bothered greatly by the intensity of the sun, so I prefer a climate with more indirect solar radiation along with distinct seasons. Summer heat is bothersome as well and that is why I like winter much more.

Some examples of preferable climates would be: Missoula, MT, Spokane, WA, Seattle, WA, Portland, OR, Bend, OR, Duluth, MN, Traverse City, MI, Madison, WI, Galena, IL, Saranac Lake, NY, Lyndon, VT, Wolfeboro, NH, Bangor, ME, etc.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:35 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 1 day ago)

10,403 posts, read 14,249,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
It really doesn't mean anything. When it's 100 degrees, it's 100 degrees whether it's humid or dry. That means it's hot either way.
I respectfully disagree. Sure it's hot either way but when you are in a really humid area there is no way for your sweat to evaporate and cool you off to any degree. The sweat just sort of collects and coats you, and makes you feel icky and sticky and just nasty.

Worst weather for me was Houston and Memphis
Best weather is western MI along Lake Michigan, and the mountains of TN

Old 12-17-2010, 01:40 PM

3 posts, read 4,233 times
Hands down Chicago. Maybe I have not lived here long enough (2-3 years) but I'm ready to move on. The winters are TERRIBLE. I'm from Philadelphia--it's not like I'm used to tropical climates. But when it snows in Philly there are at least things to do. It rarely gets below 20 degrees and the poconos and mountains are nearby for skiing. When it snows in Chicago you are stranded. There is absolutely nothing to do and it seems like the weather rarely gets above 20 degrees.

As for the summers, Chicago is an amazing city in the summer but it does become very very humid. There were definitely a good 2-3 weeks where it was hard to breathe outside because of the humidity. I nearly collapsed of heat exhaustion during the Chicago Triathlon in August along with many other people.

Chicago would rival New York in terms of population if it had better weather. It's the terrible weather that makes this place affordable. As much as I love the culture and amenities of Chicago, I am a lover of the outdoors and the mountains and I cannot take this weather anymore....

Old 12-17-2010, 02:15 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,356,534 times
I live north of Utica, NY - best climate in the entire country. It rarely gets above 90 degrees and humidiy rarely climbs over 50.
Common guys, winter isn't a bad thing. You just have to learn how to dress for and play in it. Bunch of whimps. LOL
Hey, I bet we have a greater appreciation for spring!

Old 12-17-2010, 03:06 PM

711 posts, read 975,834 times
Good weather cities:
* Los Angeles, California.
* Phoenix, Arizona.
* Las Vegas, Nevada.
* San Diego, California.

Worst weather cities:
* Seattle, Washington.
* New Orleans, Louisiana.
* Eugene, Oregon.

Last edited by Clyde81; 12-17-2010 at 03:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or