U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-24-2013, 06:08 PM
 
1,257 posts, read 3,018,014 times
Reputation: 1304

Advertisements

Best: Buffalo

Worst: San Diego
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-24-2013, 07:14 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
5,303 posts, read 7,720,102 times
Reputation: 2136
BEST-Honolulu
WORST-Either Phoenix (oven) or Chicago (sauna for half the year and freezer for the other half)

Some other good ones are San Diego, New Orleans and Miami. Some other bad ones are San Francisco, Boston and New York City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2013, 09:06 PM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
1,875 posts, read 2,575,603 times
Reputation: 1155
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
A climate that's relatively sunny (huge factor for me), sees occasionally extreme weather and has 4 distinct seasons (hot/stormy summers, not cold but snowy winters) is fine with me.

Best:

1. Chicago
2. Minneapolis
3. Milwaukee
4. Des Moines
5. Quad Cities
6. Omaha
7. Madison, WI
8. Denver

Worst

1. Seattle
2. Portland
3. Phoenix
4. Las Vegas
5. San Francisco
6. Albuquerque
7. Fargo
8. Boise
9. Butte, MT
10. Cheyenne, WY
Chicago? Have the year is burning hot and the other half is a tundra. I'm definitely not a huge fan of there weather. The weather is Seattle is great. It's just cloudy, not even the cloudiest major city in america. High 30's and mid 40's in the winter. Low 60's to low 70's in the Spring. 70's to Mid 80's in the summer. Mid 40's to mid 50's in the fall. It rarely ever dumps rain and summers are gorgeous here. The only thing separating Seattle from what you say "worse" is the fact that its cloudy. With that logic Pittsburgh and Cleveland should also top that list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2013, 09:16 PM
 
Location: Arizona
3,650 posts, read 5,348,357 times
Reputation: 2230
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Chicago? Have the year is burning hot and the other half is a tundra. I'm definitely not a huge fan of there weather. The weather is Seattle is great. It's just cloudy, not even the cloudiest major city in america. High 30's and mid 40's in the winter. Low 60's to low 70's in the Spring. 70's to Mid 80's in the summer. Mid 40's to mid 50's in the fall. It rarely ever dumps rain and summers are gorgeous here. The only thing separating Seattle from what you say "worse" is the fact that its cloudy. With that logic Pittsburgh and Cleveland should also top that list.
Lol what? Most of that is the same for Chicago. Seattle has more rainy days than Chicago:

United States' Rainiest Cities - Current Results
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2013, 04:22 AM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
1,875 posts, read 2,575,603 times
Reputation: 1155
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
Lol what? Most of that is the same for Chicago. Seattle has more rainy days than Chicago:

United States' Rainiest Cities - Current Results
I never said Chicago more rainy days? And those states aren't the same as Chicago's. In January Chicago's average high is 31 degrees compared to Seattle's average High which is 47 degrees (the other stats were just guesses). Also compare that to the July average High in Seattle which is 75 degrees and Chicago's is 84 degrees and is much more likely to suffer a heat wave. The point I was trying to make is Seattle's weather is great minus the Clouds. Personally I love cloudy days and the way the city looks and feels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2013, 02:42 PM
 
Location: So California
8,387 posts, read 8,521,085 times
Reputation: 4583
Just a sampling of each

Best:

San Diego, Los Angeles/OC, SF Bay Area, Honolulu

Worst:

New Orleans, Houston, Minneapolis, Cleveland, Fargo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2013, 03:03 PM
 
Location: Pasadena, CA
9,832 posts, read 7,391,014 times
Reputation: 6288
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRUA View Post
Best: Buffalo

Worst: San Diego
This is like saying...

Best: kicks to the groin
Worst: orgasms
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2013, 03:47 PM
 
Location: Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas
930 posts, read 1,247,835 times
Reputation: 1150
Worst: Dallas, Houston, Phoenix

Best: Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2013, 06:30 PM
 
7,238 posts, read 10,555,511 times
Reputation: 5575
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Chicago? Have the year is burning hot and the other half is a tundra. I'm definitely not a huge fan of there weather. The weather is Seattle is great. It's just cloudy, not even the cloudiest major city in america. High 30's and mid 40's in the winter. Low 60's to low 70's in the Spring. 70's to Mid 80's in the summer. Mid 40's to mid 50's in the fall. It rarely ever dumps rain and summers are gorgeous here. The only thing separating Seattle from what you say "worse" is the fact that its cloudy. With that logic Pittsburgh and Cleveland should also top that list.
This thread was created to discuss what cities YOU felt had the BEST and the WORST weather.

I personally like to see frequent t'storms in the summer (how often does Seattle see that/) and frequent snowstorms in the winter (how often does Seattle see that?) in the winter, with the occasional major blizzard (I.E. GHD 2011 Blizzard in Chicago) or the occasional severe weather outbreak. In the meanwhile, once these storms past, I actually like to see the sun come out, not remain socked in stratus under inversion caps for days on in.

The reason Cleveland and Pittsburgh aren't on the list is because they do offer everything else I like, BUT (like with Detroit), they have too much lake effect stratus as they're downwind of the lakes. Thus, I wouldn't consider those places to have the worst nor the best weather.

BTW, I found the below link. In terms of heavy cloudy days, Seattle was #1. In terms of cloudy days per year, Seattle was #2 (84% of the days per year are cloudy).

Cloudiest Cities in US - Current Results
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2013, 06:35 PM
 
7,238 posts, read 10,555,511 times
Reputation: 5575
And for the record, I think Seattle's a great city. The IMO awful weather is just a deal breaker for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top