U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 12:30 AM

5,259 posts, read 12,576,582 times

Advertisements

Anywhere thats hazy, hot and humid in the summer with tons of bugs is the absolute worst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 09:12 AM

9,595 posts, read 22,931,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basia View Post
Okay, I definitely was not clear enough. I am sorry. I forgot to say that I am flexible. But I would not like to live where is too hot. Too hot for me is 80 degrees. I do not like too much rain, and I understand that the sun isn't on the sky all the time. Winter is okay, but not too harsh. A beautiful area for me is the view of the mountains and a lot of green. But it cannot be very far from some bigger cities, I would not like to live in a city with a population of 200. And I can not afford to pay more than 800$ for rent. I guess it will take some time for me to find my "Valley of the Moon" but I know I can make it. Can't I?
Someone just said they thought around San Fran or Oakland was perfect. 80 F is a heat wave there, while winters tend to be (I think) mid 50's to low 60's.

I honestly don't think you will find the climate you're looking for outside of California, without leaving the U.S.A. of course.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:39 AM

537 posts, read 1,671,631 times
@ ColdCanadian -

You should move to Alabama. Personally, growing up in the South, everybody looks forward to fall because of 1) football season, 2) an end, or at least a relief, to the relentless, brutal, long, hot summer. 80 degrees is a relief compared to what is typically experienced in the South during the summertime. Living in the South will make you hate heat, that's why I don't mind Chicago's winters now

Old 10-04-2007, 09:40 AM

3,185 posts, read 11,061,833 times
Quote:
Okay, I definitely was not clear enough. I am sorry. I forgot to say that I am flexible. But I would not like to live where is too hot. Too hot for me is 80 degrees. I do not like too much rain, and I understand that the sun isn't on the sky all the time. Winter is okay, but not too harsh. A beautiful area for me is the view of the mountains and a lot of green. But it cannot be very far from some bigger cities, I would not like to live in a city with a population of 200. And I can not afford to pay more than 800$ for rent. I guess it will take some time for me to find my "Valley of the Moon" but I know I can make it. Can't I?
See, your problem Basia (and the reason you've gotten the answers that you've gotten) is that your place doesn't really exist. You don't want a place that gets warmer than 80-ish in the summer, doesn't get even cool much less cold in the winter, is sunny most of the time with little rain, has mountains, etc., and yet is terribly cheap and unpopulated as well!

Think of what you are asking for...your asking for a nirvana-like climate, one that exists in very few places on earth much less in the U.S., and for the few that come close (SoCal, Hawaii), etc., everyone else wants to live there too! So it is crowded, highly populated, and very expensive [eg: it won't be cheap and it won't be sparsely populated].

Your best bet will be to compromise / settle a little bit, pick one of the cities on this list (cities like San Diego, Albuquerque, El Paso) that have great climates, and find suburban areas nearby that might be more lightly populated. They won't fit all of your criteria to a "T", but they'll at least come as close as you can probably reasonably hope for.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:41 AM

537 posts, read 1,671,631 times
Quote:

Northern California, maybe? Or perhaps the Pacific Northwest (not as knowledgable about their climate since I've never been there)?

Old 10-04-2007, 11:23 AM

5,716 posts, read 14,239,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Someone just said they thought around San Fran or Oakland was perfect. 80 F is a heat wave there, while winters tend to be (I think) mid 50's to low 60's.

I honestly don't think you will find the climate you're looking for outside of California, without leaving the U.S.A. of course.
As crazy as it sounds, San Francisco and Oakland don't really have similar climates.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:01 PM

18,696 posts, read 35,457,801 times
Lemon Grove California is the most moderate temperature in the US.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:23 PM

9,595 posts, read 22,931,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUEMINI331 View Post
@ ColdCanadian -

You should move to Alabama. Personally, growing up in the South, everybody looks forward to fall because of 1) football season, 2) an end, or at least a relief, to the relentless, brutal, long, hot summer. 80 degrees is a relief compared to what is typically experienced in the South during the summertime.

Living in the South will make you hate heat, that's why I don't mind Chicago's winters now
Alabama would be one of the states on my list, if I'm ever able to live and work in the U.S.A.

Funny you should mention, 80 F being relief compared to typical summers, because 80 F is usually near-ideal for me regardless of the time of year, even time of day. Once in a while, low 70's F feels too cool and can get on my nerves. Once in a while I want the air to be as cool as say 65-72 F, but usually that's when I'm feeling ill or overstressed.

It sucks that it affects many people that way, but I believe it'd affect me differently. (see the above comment )

Old 10-04-2007, 06:26 PM

33 posts, read 86,333 times
now that describes phoenix very well. I would have to agree

Old 10-04-2007, 06:58 PM

33 posts, read 86,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Actually, when i was in Arizona, about 100 miles north of Phoenix in Flagstaff, yes it was hot (100 degrees) if I remember, it's not nearly the same type of hotness that you experience in the Midwest. I actually didn't sweat nearly as easily in Arizona compared to the way the humidity and heat combined together in the Midwest made the sweat pour down me like Niagara at that same temperature hehe. I say that people in the Southwest need to stop complaining about all the heat they get. Humidity at 95 degrees fahrenheit is MUCH worse than a dry 100 degrees fahrenheit.

Flagstaff is a completly different type of weather. It is much cooler there than it ever is in phoenix. And you actually have a winter. Here it is still hot. Even when the sun goes down, it is hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or