Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2015, 07:02 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,728,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Where is ATL on this list? Why can't the most viable city in the South can't get its act together. It could be a food mecca but it is seriously lagging in respect to its size.

The seafood in Seattle is top 2. Maybe somewhere in New England it would be better.

SF is great, but maybe I'm just missing what is so much better about it then NYC or LA. I've never been to Chicago so that is the first place I need to go to try some new eats.

Miami, besides Cuban...dear g-d.

& DC....I don't know how I feel about DC food. It's better than ATL but I don't know why I feel I've only had pretty average food there. I'm willing to be convinced otherwise.
We got it together but IMO we don't get the proper credit especially since Ponce City Market and Krog St Market are open but it will take a couple of more years for Atlanta to be ranked higher once these developments get more popular outside of Atlanta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 07:06 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,978,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
We got it together but IMO we don't get the proper credit especially since Ponce City Market and Krog St Market are open but it will take a couple of more years for Atlanta to be ranked higher once these developments get more popular outside of Atlanta
Krog st is dope and I love the design of PCM but PCM and Krog needs better food purveyors at a better price.

for comparisons sake, PCM is very similar to Grand Central Market in DTLA. GCM is considered to be an expensive place yet, it's food offerings are cheaper than PCM generally even though PCM has nowhere near the quality of offerings.

but overall I have just never had a meal in ATL that blew me away.

Last edited by jamills21; 12-17-2015 at 07:14 AM..

Old 12-17-2015, 07:10 AM

NO is great too. I wish there were better offerings on the ethnic side and I wish meals that don't cost so much were healthier.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:18 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,728,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Krog st is dope and I love the design of PCM but PCM and Krog needs better food purveyors at a better price.

but overall I have just never had a meal in ATL that blew me away.
People have different taste buds generally speaking so something that might taste great in one city might be "garbage" in another city. Overall whatever region people are generally from or accustomed to they will generally say that particular food is better. With that being said I normally mostly visit hood spots because generally they have the best food in my opinion but overall by rankings the restaurants in the city have better rankings and are more popular. Technically I never ate an absolutely wonderful meal except in any major city outside of New Orleans but I'm sure overall dozens of other cities have an overall better scene but just because I never ate an great meal in most cities doesnt mean that the scene isnt good. Technically I never ate a great meal in LA outside of The Boiling Crab but I'm sure the scene is great. I cant really compare cities unless I ate in at least 50% of the restaurants in said city

I go to Big Daddys (Soul Food) on Old National, This is it (soul food), Antico Pizza, Fox Brothers BBQ, etc is what I normally eat for a good meal in Atlanta

Old 12-17-2015, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
People have different taste buds generally speaking so something that might taste great in one city might be "garbage" in another city. Overall whatever region people are generally from or accustomed to they will generally say that particular food is better. With that being said I normally mostly visit hood spots because generally they have the best food in my opinion but overall by rankings the restaurants in the city have better rankings and are more popular. Technically I never ate an absolutely wonderful meal except in any major city outside of New Orleans but I'm sure overall dozens of other cities have an overall better scene but just because I never ate an great meal in most cities doesnt mean that the scene isnt good. Technically I never ate a great meal in LA outside of The Boiling Crab but I'm sure the scene is great. I can really compare cities unless I ate in at least 50% of the restaurants in said city

I go to Big Daddys (Soul Food) on Old National, This is it (soul food), Antico Pizza, Fox Brothers BBQ, etc is what I normally eat for a good meal in Atlanta
Fair enough. I lived in ATL for 5 years though. So, its not like I was just in town for a bit and then dipped.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:31 AM

13,699 posts, read 15,620,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Sure, but the first part of your post seemed to be talking about these cities as a whole; not just their Vietnamese food.

For what it's worth, I can't tell you how many times I've heard how underwhelming the DC food scene is.
I think that is just an old stigma from the old D.C. when the food scene wasn't that great. But on the eve of 2016, D.C.'s food scene has probably exploded more in the past 5 years than any city in the nation driven by the mass influx of nationally renowned chefs and restaurants. The local scene has also exploded with innovation, driven by food incubators and all sorts of entrepreneurship that didn't exist before.

Here are a few links on the explosion taking place in D.C.'s food scene:

DC’s Innovative Restaurant Scene
DC

The Unstoppable Rise of DC Food Incubator Union Kitchen
http://dcinno.streetwise.co/2015/10/...union-kitchen/

How Union Kitchen’s Expansion Will Affect D.C.’s Food Scene
How Union Kitchen

Behind the success of DC's unstoppable food incubator, Union Kitchen

Behind the success of DC's unstoppable food incubator, Union Kitchen

Chewing the Fat: Mess Hall Founder Al Goldberg Talks Food Startups (Mess Hall Incubator)
http://dcist.com/2014/10/chewing_the..._founder_a.php

D.C.’s New Food Incubators Aren’t Just Places to Cook (Eatsplace Incubator)

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/b...laces-to-cook/

Last edited by MDAllstar; 12-17-2015 at 07:43 AM..

Old 12-17-2015, 07:34 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,259,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I think that is just an old stigma from the old D.C. when the food scene wasn't that great. But on the eve of 2016, D.C.'s food scene has probably exploded more in the past 5 years than any city in the nation driven by the mass influx of nationally renowned chefs and restaurants. The local scene has also exploded with innovation, driven by food incubators and all sorts of entrepreneurship that didn't exist before.
DC, to me, is still a relative underperformer. The govt./consulting/lawyers economic base means lots of steakhouses and boring corporate chains. Yes, there are many "name" chefs in DC, but that doesn't mean much (Vegas has even more, and is hardly a dining mecca). Ethnic eats tend to be somewhat weak unless you go deep into suburbia.

Just anecdotal, but I am in DC monthly for business, and have a hard time finding good non-fancy meals. Your random Thai place or Italian restaurant will be, relatively lacking (esp. in prime areas like Dupont Circle and Georgetown).

Old 12-17-2015, 07:54 AM

13,699 posts, read 15,620,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
DC, to me, is still a relative underperformer. The govt./consulting/lawyers economic base means lots of steakhouses and boring corporate chains. Yes, there are many "name" chefs in DC, but that doesn't mean much (Vegas has even more, and is hardly a dining mecca). Ethnic eats tend to be somewhat weak unless you go deep into suburbia.

Just anecdotal, but I am in DC monthly for business, and have a hard time finding good non-fancy meals. Your random Thai place or Italian restaurant will be, relatively lacking (esp. in prime areas like Dupont Circle and Georgetown).

The restaurant scene in D.C. is in mid-city and uptown neighborhoods. It's NOT in old downtown D.C. neighborhoods like Dupont Circle, Georgetown, Penn Quarter, Foggy Bottom, or Golden Triangle. That's really what I meant by the stigma of the old D.C. and how people are very outdated. No offense, but you actually just proved my point. What parts of the city are you exploring to eat?

Petworth?
Adams Morgan?
Columbia Heights?
Bloomingdale?
Mount Pleasant?
Brookland?

Washington Has More on Its Plate
Restaurants in D.C. Are Moving Into Residential Neighborhoods

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/22/di...oods.html?_r=0

A $100 Weekend in Washington, D.C. (from the Washingtonian)
Dear <em>New York Times</em>: Here's a Better Way to Spend $100 on Washington Food | Washingtonian

DC's Union Market
http://www.bonappetit.com/people/out...washington-d-c

Last edited by MDAllstar; 12-17-2015 at 08:14 AM..

Old 12-17-2015, 08:18 AM

20,502 posts, read 33,359,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
It seems people are overrating Houston and underrating DC, Houston has better Viet than LA? Lol ok 160k> 80k
I've experienced both. I don't think this at all. DC while has improved significantly still underwhelms. Houston is actually a very good food city.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:37 AM

362 posts, read 494,861 times
L.A. ain't in the top 5 really. I know the top 4 in some order are New York, Chicago, San Francisco, and New Orleans. After that, you can make a case for Las Vegas, Boston, Charleston SC, Miami, Philadelphia, and Houston being ahead of Los Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City