Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 09:17 AM

37,789 posts, read 41,472,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
If we're talking big cities then I'd say it's Memphis quite handily.
As far as another major city goes, KC would definitely pose a challenge there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 09:35 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,735,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Gumbo is just a dish. BBQ is a genre. I eat creole/cajun far more than BBQ.
Right...

Quote:
IDK about that, you have various Texas cities and KC.
Texas has great barbecue all over, with no one city being far above the others. Tennessee, on the other hand, isn't as synonymous with barbecue as Memphis.

Fair enough about KC, but I guess the purist in me tends to see it as an adulterated version of what is done best down South.

Old 06-13-2016, 04:31 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,727,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
OK, but New Orleans' regional cuisine is VERY specific in nature. You're talking about a tiny regional cuisine. ...
New Orleans is obviously the dominant king of creole food, but it's also basically the only place where creole food is commonly eaten. .
See this is where you are conflicting yourself.
You say it is regional, then you say it is unique to NOLA.
Well which is it.
I am with you on the unique part. And that's why NOLA is so awesome.
It has mastered a genre that is pure it's own. And thus it cannot be said that it is regional. Further, it is a fusion of food from 5 continents, that is far from regional in my book.
Quote:
Right...

Texas has great barbecue all over, with no one city being far above the others. Tennessee, on the other hand, isn't as synonymous with barbecue as Memphis.

Fair enough about KC, but I guess the purist in me tends to see it as an adulterated version of what is done best down South.
Exactly my point.
I bring up BBQ, one person says clearly it is Memphis, another poster says no its Austin, a 3rd says no no it is KC.

We can perform the same exercise with tex mex, pizza, hot dogs, Italian, Caribbean, etc

We cannot do the same with NOLA. For that reason alone it deserves to be in the top 5. The other things such as their excellent Vietnamese, honduran, Southern, african, Caribbean food is just gravy. No pun intended

Old 06-14-2016, 10:38 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,237,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Well which is it.
I don't understand the question.

Yes, Creole cuisine is regional. The region is in/around New Orleans.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:43 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,089,407 times
Quote:

True, Tennessee as a state isn't synonymous with BBQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Well which is it.
I am with you on the unique part. And that's why NOLA is so awesome.
It has mastered a genre that is pure it's own. And thus it cannot be said that it is regional. Further, it is a fusion of food from 5 continents, that is far from regional in my book.

We cannot do the same with NOLA. For that reason alone it deserves to be in the top 5. The other things such as their excellent Vietnamese, honduran, Southern, african, Caribbean food is just gravy. No pun intended
It is regional. Creole food is available in all of south Louisiana, especially in small creole towns outside of the city.
However creole food comes from New Orleans, it's unique to the city.
Fusion food is trendy dishes, you won't find creole dishes in Italy, France, Africa, or Caribbean.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:50 AM

5,670 posts, read 4,581,309 times
Quote:
If we're talking big cities then I'd say it's Memphis quite handily.
I like Memphis style, but there is no way you don't get a long stream of disagreement. KC and Texas immediately come to mind.

Old 06-17-2016, 02:06 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,062,712 times
Vegas has some amazing restaurants. Chicago has the best pizza and there's portillos and Culvers. Each placeis known for a certain type of food. Boston: seafood, Chicago: Pizza, Texas: BBQ, Florida: Oranges and key lime pie. Vegas has all around good food so it's 1 on my list. Chicago is 2nd

Old 06-17-2016, 01:03 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,839,615 times
Charleston sc

Old 06-17-2016, 01:06 PM

34 posts, read 37,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4122 View Post
Vegas has some amazing restaurants. Chicago has the best pizza and there's portillos and Culvers. Each placeis known for a certain type of food. Boston: seafood, Chicago: Pizza, Texas: BBQ, Florida: Oranges and key lime pie. Vegas has all around good food so it's 1 on my list. Chicago is 2nd
Haha no. Chicago is a top 5 food city but they do not have the best pizza. Northeastern cities have superior pizza.

Old 06-17-2016, 01:21 PM

431 posts, read 516,292 times
I don't know if I can do a top five, but here are a list of the cities whose food I find to be above average:

New York City
Philly
Atlanta
Miami
Chicago
Kansas City
Nashville
Austin
Dallas
Phoenix/Scottsdale
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Portland
Seattle

Last edited by intheclouds1; 06-17-2016 at 01:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City