Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2015, 06:41 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers1523 View Post
I don't understand the thought process that Gotham changes based on what City is the most dangerous at the time LOL Gotham has the same art deco architecture that NYC is famous for.
Because Chicago doesn't have art deco architecture?

Quote:
I'm guessing Nolan filmed those movies in Chicago due to it being cheaper. He filmed the 3rd in Pittsburgh, and nobodies saying thats Gotham.
The Nolan brothers spent time in Chicago as children, and one of them went to school here. That apparently shaped their idea of Chicago being Gotham for the sake of the films.

As for any one place always being Gotham all the time, I think they take elements from various places, and the Nolan trilogy borrowed heavily from Chicago. It's not always the case though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 09:59 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,281,063 times
Gotham' is a nickname for New York, used by Washington Irving. Batman's Gotham City generally has been thought to be New York City, this is also thought by Frank Miller.

Batman artist Neal Adams sees Gotham as based on Chicago (nicknamed 'New Gotham'). This is partly because Chicago has Back Alleys, Both all Downtown and its neighborhoods. Back Alleys are virtually non-existent in Manhattan , and Batman fights in Alleys.....all the time. So if the artist draws it with similarities to Chicago then I would maybe class this as been the main city basis.

By the standards of the DC Universe, Chicago and New York are virtually right next door - even relatively low-powered heroes can make trips of that distance with little or no difficulty (unless the plot calls for it).
More connections with Chicago are.... there is the Gotham River and the Chicago River.

Film adaptations of Batman by Tim Burton have been based on New York, though some newer Christopher Nolan films have Gotham based on and filmed in Chicago. Chicago has a history of Super-Criminal Mafia figures like Al Capone (though he was born and raised in NYC) and Frank Nitti, so did Gotham.

I'd probably go with Chicago is more like Gotham....and New York is more like Metropolis. plus what would Gotham be without a "lower city"? it needs a underground like Lower Wacker Drive in Chicago used in the Dark Knight. CHICAGO has the elevated L tracks still Downtown (Manhattan removed theirs), the alleys downtown (Manhattan very few), the underground streets.

I believe that over the decades Gotham was a HYBRID CITY... meant to be a created city as the comic was in characters. Art Deco was a prevalent architecture of the early Batman eras. So it is natural it was used in scenes.

But the Batman aspects also used Alleys in a Downtown setting. That points to Chicago not Manhattan aspects. So Batman aspects whether the Bad guys and Mafia aspects to Art Deco and Gothic building features took from BOTH CHICAGO'S DOWNTOWN AND MAHATTAN.

Chicago owes NYC for rather then jailing Al Capone.... left him get out of NYC he was born and raised.... to infiltrate Chicago.... thanks NYC

Either city can still work today and aspects of Pittsburgh. But in CHICAGO's favor .... I use these Pictures....

CHICAGO'S FINANCIAL CENTER LASALLE ST.

The Elevated L Tracks STILL IN DOWNTOWN CHICAGO

On Michigan Ave CHICAGO Art Deco

Downtown CHICAGO ALLEY

Old 11-03-2015, 11:04 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times
Gotham City was always linked with New York, however, present day New York is characteristically beyond Gotham City.

Chicago because it leads the United States in total number of murders and is a top tier crime city and has always been throughout history to the present. Other than that I went with Chicago over other top tier crime cities because Chicago is the largest and Gotham City is a massive city. So Chicago characteristically comes the closest to that while still being a "high crime" city.

Sorry New York, you just cannot have a safe and less-corrupt Gotham, ever. That would put Batman out of a job, now wouldn't it? Batman would salivate like a rabid dog for a city like Chicago, so murderous, so corrupt, so cold (pun) that it would take an eternity to clean it up. Therefore Chicago makes for a great Gotham City.

I give the edge to New York as being Metropolis though. Characteristically Superman leaves Metropolis all the time to fight crime in other cities or places around the world (the only villain he fights with mostly in Metropolis is Lex Luthor). He leaves Metropolis to fight crime more often than he stays in Metropolis to fight crime according to various Superman media and comics. So meaning, while Metropolis isn't utopia and crime-free (obviously), it isn't an out of control nightmare like Gotham City either, and by reputation probably FAR less corrupt too than Gotham. This easily fits the present day New York image more, whereas Gotham easily fits present day Chicago image.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 11-03-2015 at 11:58 AM..

Old 11-03-2015, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Gotham City was always linked with New York, however, present day New York is characteristically beyond Gotham City.

Chicago because it leads the United States in total number of murders and is a top tier crime city and has always been throughout history to the present. Other than that I went with Chicago over other top tier crime cities because Chicago is the largest and Gotham City is a massive city. So Chicago characteristically comes the closest to that while still being a "high crime" city.

Sorry New York, you just cannot have a safe and less-corrupt Gotham, ever. That would put Batman out of a job, now wouldn't it? Batman would salivate like a rabid dog for a city like Chicago, so murderous, so corrupt, so cold (pun) that it would take an eternity to clean it up.

Therefore Chicago makes for a great Gotham City.

I give the edge to New York as being Metropolis though. Characteristically Superman leaves Metropolis all the time to fight crime in other cities or places around the world (the only villain he fights with mostly in Metropolis is Lex Luthor). He leaves Metropolis to fight crime more often than he stays in Metropolis to fight crime according to various Superman media and comics. So meaning, while Metropolis isn't utopia and crime-free (obviously), it isn't an out of control nightmare like Gotham City either, and by reputation probably FAR less corrupt too than Gotham. This easily fits the present day New York image more, whereas Gotham easily fits present day Chicago image.
Red John thanks for noting THE >>> ONLY<< REASON CHICAGO IS A GOTHAM.....(THE CITY YOU SPENT A PART OF YOUR YOUTH YEARS IN THE US) ..... AND NOTEWORTHY. IS MERELY FOR CRIME.... NOT EVEN NOTING .... GOTHAM OF OLD WAS NOT GANG VIOLENCE that is Chicago's blemish in GANG ON GANG MURDERS ON ITS SOUTHSIDE....WITHIN ONE ETHNIC GROUP.

Your SOLE reason is at least NOT to laugh as you have at someone making Chicago good comments already. Again.... Gotham that people note which city fits in attributes. Is not on crime the thread is about...... AS YOU SHOULD KNOW TV SHOWS ARE...... LOCATED IN NYC, LA, MIAMI, SF, NOLA, VEGAS...... Only recently is there a Chicago PD TV series.... HBO and other Cable shows located MAFIA SHOWS IN NYC.... So it is NOT A GOTHAM BECAUSE OF GANG MURDERS.... OR POLITICL CORRIPTION.

IF YOU THINK NYC DOES NOT HAVE PLENTY STILL TODAY? WE COULD SELL YOU A BRIDGE.... Front States to County's to small towns... ARREST OF JUDGES TO MAYORS, COMMISSIONERS EVEN MY STATE OF PA HAS ITS SHARE.... No exaggeration.

With all your knowledge on cities and in creating threads..... you merely connect Chicago to GOTHAM BY CRIME.... Nothing to do with ARCHITECTURE AND OTHER DOWNTOWN ATTRIBUTES?

Chicago still won in your latest thread you created in a Chicago vs. Toronto one.... no tie break VOTE against Chicago by you there will be needed .... Just some opinions and observations as .... our Postings gather a knowing what to expect from some on C-D. I merely note by my observations and my assessment.... on this post too.

No one else posted a merely by CRIME CHICAGO IS GOTHAM.....

What has happened to you in London? Your BOLDED ..... COMMMENT THAT MERELY DOWNPLAYS A CITY THAT SHOULD BE YOUR SECOND HOMETOWN IN THE US..... I would expect such a comment.... as you made in the bold again.... from a mere Troll ..... ......what is up here???

You USUALLY were very FAIR AND NOT ONE TO LET PERSONAL reasoning. Be your comment more then FACTS and OVERALL ATTRIBUTES..... GOTHAM WAS CENTERED IN A DOWNTOWN in CRIME....
CHICAGO IS NOT THE POSTER-CHILD OF DOWNTOWN CRIME and certainly not Gang on Gang violence today.....

Last edited by steeps; 11-03-2015 at 05:51 PM..

Old 11-03-2015, 05:28 PM

539 posts, read 523,646 times
New York's nickname is Gotham lol it has been for years. Regardless of crime or whatever that doesn't change the fact that people will refer to it as such.

Old 11-03-2015, 05:42 PM

366 posts, read 404,696 times
Maybe NYC's crime rate has gone down so much because Batman has been successful clearing it up, good job Bats!

In all seriousness though, Chicago's big crime problem is "black" crime, something any Batman comic would be too scared to deal with due to political correctness. But throw some kind of costume and mask on it, and they will make endless comic books with him and then a dozen sidekicks.

Old 11-03-2015, 05:49 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,045,258 times
How about which US cities would be Gotham or Metropolis if NYC and Chicago were off the table?

I think I'd go for Detroit, Philadelphia, or Pittsburgh for Gotham.

Los Angeles or Houston for Metropolis.

(& If we were allowed to include Canada, then, imo, Montreal would make a cool Gotham and Toronto would make a cool Metropolis..)

Old 11-03-2015, 05:50 PM

7,737 posts, read 5,518,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneKane View Post
In all seriousness though, Chicago's big crime problem is "black" crime, something any Batman comic would be too scared to deal with due to political correctness. But throw some kind of costume and mask on it, and they will make endless comic books with him and then a dozen sidekicks.
The thought that "the problem" is only a problem for a certain race of people instead of a larger problem within our whole society is part of the problem.

Old 11-03-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
New York's nickname is Gotham lol it has been for years. Regardless of crime or whatever that doesn't change the fact that people will refer to it as such.
No one even disputes NYC had a nick of Gotham in its past.... But THE COMIC EVOLVED TO HAVE BATMAN EVEN FIGHT IN ALLEYS... VERY Rare in Manhattan. But as I posted before.... GOTHAM EVOLVED TO BE A HYBRID CITY..... OF NYC AND CHICAGO AS THE COMIC EVOLVED. IT WAS STILL AS MAKE-BELIEVE AS ITS CHARACTERS.... WITH Still TRAITS OF REALITY AND AMERICAN BIG CITIES.

By the standards of the DC Universe, Chicago and New York are virtually right next door - even relatively low-powered heroes can make trips of that distance with little or no difficulty (unless the plot calls for it).
More connections with Chicago are.... there is the Gotham River and the Chicago River.

Film adaptations of Batman by Tim Burton have been based on New York, though some newer Christopher Nolan films have Gotham based on and filmed in Chicago. Chicago has a history of Super-Criminal Mafia figures like Al Capone (though he was born and raised in NYC) and Frank Nitti, so did Gotham. Of course so did NYC..

Old 11-03-2015, 06:03 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Red John thanks for noting THE >>> ONLY<< REASON CHICAGO IS A GOTHAM.....(THE CITY YOU SPENT A PART OF YOUR YOUTH YEARS IN THE US) ..... AND NOTEWORTHY. IS MERELY FOR CRIME.... NOT EVEN NOTING .... GOTHAM OF OLD WAS NOT GANG VIOLENCE that is Chicago's blemish in GANG ON GANG MURDERS ON ITS SOUTHSIDE....WITHIN ONE ETHNIC GROUP.

Your SOLE reason is at least NOT to laugh as you have at someone making Chicago good comments already. Again.... Gotham that people note which city fits in attributes. Is not on crime the thread is about...... AS YOU SHOULD KNOW TV SHOWS ARE...... LOCATED IN NYC, LA, MIAMI, SF, NOLA, VEGAS...... Only recently is there a Chicago PD TV series.... HBO and other Cable shows located MAFIA SHOWS IN NYC.... So it is NOT A GOTHAM BECAUSE OF GANG MURDERS.... OR POLITICL CORRIPTION.

IF YOU THINK NYC DOES NOT HAVE PLENTY STILL TODAY? WE COULD SELL YOU A BRIDGE.... Front States to County's to small towns... ARREST OF JUDGES TO MAYORS, COMMISSIONERS EVEN MY STATE OF PA HAS ITS SHARE.... No exaggeration.

With all your knowledge on cities and in creating threads..... you merely connect Chicago to GOTHAM BY CRIME.... Nothing to do with ARCHITECTURE AND OTHER DOWNTOWN ATTRIBUTES?

Chicago still won in your latest thread you created in a Chicago vs. Toronto one.... no tie break VOTE against Chicago by you there will be needed .... Just some opinions and observations as .... our Postings gather a knowing what to expect from some on C-D. I merely note by my observations and my assessment.... on this post too.

No one else posted a merely by CRIME CHICAGO IS GOTHAM.....

What has happened to you in London? Your BOLDED ..... COMMMENT THAT MERELY DOWNPLAYS A CITY THAT SHOULD BE YOUR SECOND HOMETOWN IN THE US..... I would expect such a comment.... as you made in the bold again.... from a mere Troll ..... ......what is up here???

You USUALLY were very FAIR AND NOT ONE TO LET PERSONAL reasoning. Be your comment more then FACTS and OVERALL ATTRIBUTES..... GOTHAM WAS CENTERED IN A DOWNTOWN in CRIME....
CHICAGO IS NOT THE POSTER-CHILD OF DOWNTOWN CRIME and certainly not Gang on Gang violence today.....
Of course Chicago has the positive attributes of Gotham too. It is a massive city, with adept cultural institutions and offerings, has as many positive qualities to it.

I was focussing on crime because that is what Batman was created to do, fight crime as well as corruption in the government and police force.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City