U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 03:51 PM

2,641 posts, read 2,665,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
For what it's worth, Metropolis was largely based on Toronto and NYC. It was designed to be a major Northeast city. In the earliest versions of Superman, it's Cleveland, but was changed to be New York later. Metropolis has been in New York State and, oddly, Delaware (when Gotham was in Jersey).

Gotham is pretty much based on NYC (with other cities thrown in). The name Gotham was found in a NYC phone book. Over the years, other cities have influenced it, though.
Cleveland makes sense, though I always figured Metropolis was Chicago since the Kents lived on a farm in the middle of some kind of wheat field. Chicago would be the nearby "big city" where a farm boy would aspire to living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 03:52 PM

17,600 posts, read 10,099,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
No one did the old gangster thing better than Chicago, Chicago took it to a whole other level NYC was never able to touch
Right. That's why the Chicago Outfit was able to branch out and build up successful outposts like Las Vegas, right?

Old 07-27-2012, 03:56 PM

232 posts, read 104,321 times
So your basically saying a nyc criminal came and turned chicago out because he was sent to the chi by the italian mob bosses......so yeah capone is associated with chicago gangland history but i think gotham city is new york based on the history of the 5 families and the place where organized crime started outside of new orleans.....

Old 07-27-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
That's great but who is the most famous gangster in the U.S.? Al Capone. And what city is he linked with. I am not denying NYC's, it just when people hear Chicago they think as gangsters as one of the first things to pop in their head. Both on a national and international scale. NYC, a ton more things come up before gangsters. ANd that's not a bad thing!
Al Capone is one guy who was born and raised in Brooklyn, New York. And with this current generation, people are far more likely to associate organized crime with the Sopranos (with the NYC skyline in the intro) and AMC's line up of movies during Mob Week (which starts on Monday!!). Saying that Chicago has a richer history of organized crime is like saying Birmingham has a richer history of steel production than Pittsburgh.

Old 07-27-2012, 04:01 PM

9,082 posts, read 5,902,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Even with New York being associated with the following...

Meyer Lansky
Lucky Luciano
Bugsy Sigel
Dutch Schultz
Arnold Rothstein
Jacob Levinsky
John Gotti
Paulie Castellano
Sammy "The Bull" Gravano
Bumpy Johnson
Stephanie St. Clair
Frank Sinatra
Gambino Crime Family
Genovese Crime Family
Lucchese Crime Family
Goodfellas
The Godfather Trilogy
A Bronx Tale
King of New York
Donnie Brasco
Carlito's Way

The New York Jewish and Italian crime families built up western outposts like Detroit, Chicago, Kansas City, Vegas and Los Angeles. The "policy banks," or numbers running (the precursor to our present day lottery), was started in Harlem and adopted in other parts of the country.
Yes even with all those notable affiliated groups/people, I think of Chicago first.

It has nothing to do with which city I think had/has "better" or "more influential" organized crime. I just think it shapes Chicago's reputation more than NYC's.

Old 07-27-2012, 04:03 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,392,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Because of the Dark Knight Rises movie and the Man of Steel teaser, it got me thinking. Which city do you feel represnts Gotham City and Metropolis the most?

For Gotham City I would say Chicago, followed by NYC.
That's odd that you associate Gotham with Chicago when one of the central themes of Dark Knight Rises was the geography of Manhattan island...

Without saying any spoilers, the plot of Dark Knight Rises wouldn't even work if it was based in Chicago.

Old 07-27-2012, 04:04 PM

125 posts, read 83,368 times
Growing up and reading the Superman books of the 70s, when I always imagined Metropolis I would think of something like Chicago. It had to be near Smallville, which I pictured as a small midwestern town.

Gotham City = Manhattan for me. The 70s Manhattan was a lot grittier than today's, so it seemed like a good fit in those halcyon days of my super-heroed smitten youth.

Old 07-27-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
So your basically saying a nyc criminal came and turned chicago out because he was sent to the chi by the italian mob bosses.
Basically. Capone learned the game by ripping and running the streets of the Lower East Side with the likes of the Bowery Boys and the Five Points Gang. In fact, the Lower East Side is really what Gotham's based on. There's no part of Chicago that's nearly as well known as the LES as far as Jewish and Italian syndicates are concerned. I mean, Meyer Lansky and Lucky Lucie fought their way up out of the LES's streets. One neighborhood can't have a richer organized crime history than that.

Old 07-27-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
It has nothing to do with which city I think had/has "better" or "more influential" organized crime. I just think it shapes Chicago's reputation more than NYC's.
That's interesting. When I think "organized crime," I immediately think of the Lower East Side (especially as someone with Jewish heritage).

Old 07-27-2012, 04:21 PM

6,569 posts, read 3,486,866 times
I'm confused, I thought Gotham City was always assumed to be NYC. Although the reference was more relevant in the 80's/90's and prior, not today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City