Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2014, 11:11 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
You are just moving the flag posts clearly away from what most people know is progressive (i.e. progressive politics) but I guess what the OP intended.
Bull$hit. Progressive has multiple meanings. The OP didnt specify politics so all meanings are up for discussion.

Even if were talking about most conservative poltically, Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta dont belong in the discussion. Theyre are in the center on the whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 11:21 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Bull$hit. Progressive has multiple meanings. The OP didnt specify politics so all meanings are up for discussion.

Even if were talking about most conservative poltically, Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta dont belong in the discussion. Theyre are in the center on the whole.
No. They aren't. Atlanta, Houston and Dallas want to play with the big boys so they need to play in their own weight class, not vs Charlotte or Memphis or other mid tier Southern burgs but National and Global western cities... They'd rank at the bottom in their weight class in the last 3 slots of 5m + metros in the U.S. / Canada. They would also be behind cities below their weight class such as Seattle or Minneapolis.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:24 AM

29 posts, read 40,490 times
[quote=Spade;33217959]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainyfashionista View Post

Click the link.
Urban Dictionary: assume
I don't think Urban Dictionary is a credible source.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:37 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
No. They aren't. Atlanta, Houston and Dallas want to play with the big boys so they need to play in their own weight class, not vs Charlotte or Memphis or other mid tier Southern burgs but National and Global western cities... They'd rank at the bottom in their weight class in the last 3 slots of 5m + metros in the U.S. / Canada. They would also be behind cities below their weight class such as Seattle or Minneapolis.
Are you talking about progressiveness or liberalism? You seem to confuse the two.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:44 AM

215 posts, read 379,111 times
Quote:
Thats probably one of the most closed minded (conserative if you will) things Ive read on CD. Ignorance.

Youve never been to Dallas. If you say you have, youre lying. Dallas isnt anything like that. Dallas is known for being dressy and modern. There is almost nothing country about the city of Dallas.

Ive lived across the US and internationally. I know very well what progressive is. I didnt say Dallas, Houston, or Atlanta were the most progressive in the US but they certainly arent the least. I did say that Dallas is one of the most ambitious cities in the US. Even if that isnt politically progressive, that is progressive.

Perhaps you need to get aquanited with the definition of progressive. Its not a term that is specific to politics. Youre taking my saying Dallas is extremely progressive to mean Dallas is extremely liberal. Dallas (like Houston and Atlanta) is moderate/left leaning city in a moderate/right leaning metro area politically. Dallas on the other hand is extremely progressive. Heres the definition:

Full Definition of PROGRESSIVE

a : of, relating to, or characterized by progress
b : making use of or interested in new ideas, findings, or opportunities
c : of, relating to, or constituting an educational theory marked by emphasis on the individual child, informality of classroom procedure, and encouragement of self-expression

: of, relating to, or characterized by progression

: moving forward or onward : advancing

a : increasing in extent or severity <a progressive disease>
b : increasing in rate as the base increases <a progressive tax>

often capitalized : of or relating to political Progressives

: of, relating to, or constituting a verb form that expresses action or state in progress at the time of speaking or a time spoken of

: of, relating to, or being a multifocal lens with a gradual transition between focal lengths <progressive bifocals>

: or, relating to, or using a method of video scanning (as for television or a computer monitor) in which the horizontal lines of each frame are drawn successively from top to bottom — compare interlaced
I have LIVED in Dallas for 4 years, it is country - overweight ppl, country music, mega churches, southern accents, pickup trucks etc

Old 01-28-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lunatic & A Therapist View Post
I have LIVED in Dallas for 4 years, it is country - overweight ppl, country music, mega churches, southern accents, pickup trucks etc
I dont believe you. You just listed all the stereotypes of the city. Dallas has the mega churches for sure and outlying areas have pick up trucks, but its so full of transplants that country accents and country people are hard to come by. Youre more likely to see a person in traditional Indian dress than a cowboy hat in many parts of the Dallas area.

On top of it, youre the one who said that people cant be liberal if they eat BBQ or drive a truck. Its hard to believe there is anyone that closed minded still out there.

Youre full of $*it.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
I have LIVED in Dallas for 4 years,it is country - overweight ppl, country music, mega churches, southern accents, pickup trucks etc
That's a southern thing, not country and not regressive. Brush up on your terminology.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
I dont believe you. You just listed all the stereotypes of the city. Dallas has the mega churches for sure and outlying areas have pick up trucks, but its so full of transplants that country accents and country people are hard to come by. Youre more likely to see a person in traditional Indian dress than a cowboy hat in many parts of the Dallas area.

On top of it, youre the one who said that people cant be liberal if they eat BBQ or drive a truck. Its hard to believe there is anyone that closed minded still out there.

Youre full of $*it.
Can I borrow your pen so I can cosign!

Old 01-28-2014, 12:15 PM

215 posts, read 379,111 times
Quote:

Youre full of $*it.
IDC if you believe me. Why should I? I never said anything about "liberal" either so don't put words in my mouth. I stand by my statement. Dallas is everything I mentioned - redneck accents, pick up trucks, cowboy hats, cowboy boots, AYCE restaurants everywhere, big bellies, etc. I moved to Dallas from the NE and felt like Joe Pesci in My Cousin Vinny! You can stomp, whine, complain, make excuses and cry all day long but it is not going to change my opinion. Hey, I'm not willing to deal with rednecks for the low COL, maybe others are though.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
IDC if you believe me. Why should I? I never said anything about "liberal" either so don't put words in my mouth. I stand by my statement. Dallas is everything I mentioned - redneck accents, pick up trucks, cowboy hats, cowboy boots, AYCE restaurants everywhere, big bellies, etc. I moved to Dallas from the NE and felt like Joe Pesci in My Cousin Vinny! You can stomp, whine, complain, make excuses and cry all day long but it is not going to change my opinion. Hey, I'm not willing to deal with rednecks for the low COL, maybe others are though.
I really dont care what a chronic liar thinks. I dont have to whine or complain about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City