Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 01:37 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,372,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Are you talking about progressiveness or liberalism? You seem to confuse the two.
No I'm not confused.

Progressivism in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Center for American Progress - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Progressive politics are deeply entwined with liberalism going back to John Dewey and William James under pragmatism.

If you were outside the deep south, maybe it wouldn't be confusing to you guys that seem to think it's a revelation to use the terms together. I know that progressive politics, far left, or green party views are not often a topic of discussion there and seen as Communist/Marxist.

I realize the OP and others are viewing progressive as "building new stuff" but that isn't the only or even dominant use of the term in the United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 01:38 PM

20,499 posts, read 33,299,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lunatic & A Therapist View Post
DFW......... The least progressive largest city in all of America - pick up trucks everywhere, big bellies, southern accents, rodeos, AYCE joints everywhere, horrible parks, cowboy culture, country music, etc.

I fail to see how any of the bold means a city is not progressive. As far as parks. You haven't checked out Dallas in a while and the new parks that are there now.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:39 PM

[quote=brainyfashionista;33219505]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post

I don't think Urban Dictionary is a credible source.
Keep up. You ASSuMEd. Now look closely at the word and see why I said that. Next time, get the facts about a person before you assume anything. You thought I was from Houston. You would be entirely wrong.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
I have LIVED in Dallas for 4 years, it is country - overweight ppl, country music, mega churches, pickup trucks etc
With the exception of the southern accents, welcome to the United States of America because this is evident in EVERY metro. Not to mention, how does listening to a type of music mean that person or city is not progressive? Does Dallas being a hub for electronica music, which it is, mean they are progressive because it's not country?

Old 01-28-2014, 01:45 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,083,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
No I'm not confused.

Progressivism in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Center for American Progress - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Progressive politics are deeply entwined with liberalism going back to John Dewey and William James under pragmatism.

If you were outside the deep south, maybe it wouldn't be confusing to you guys that seem to think it's a revelation to use the terms together. I know that progressive politics, far left, or green party views are not often a topic of discussion there and seen as Communist/Marxist.

I realize the OP and others are viewing progressive as "building new stuff" but that isn't the only or even dominant use of the term in the United States.
You seem to know that liberalism and progressiveness aren't interchangeable yet seem to disregard it at the same time. A city doesn't have to be liberal to be progressive. Houston had made great progress for decades now, why isn't is deemed progressive? Because it's political history is not similar to that of New York or San Francisco?

Old 01-28-2014, 01:47 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,372,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
You seem to know that liberalism and progressiveness aren't interchangeable yet seem to disregard it at the same time. A city doesn't have to be liberal to be progressive. Houston had made great progress for decades now, why isn't is deemed progressive? Because it's political history is not similar to that of New York or San Francisco?
Of course it has, but as I mentioned several times, stacked up with cities in it's same caliber, i.e. metros of 5m plus, it would be bottom of the barrel. If Houston wants to be a so called "global" city it can't keep competing with regional cities like Memphis, Bham or San Antonio. That is why I say for a big city, it's moderate at best.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:48 PM

215 posts, read 376,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
I really dont care what a chronic liar thinks. I dont have to whine or complain about it.
If you don't care what I think then stop quoting me, Dallas homer! Right now a guy in Dallas is buying a ford f350 Chevy pick up to drive it all over the DFW metroplex and will live up to the stereotype!

Old 01-28-2014, 01:55 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,583,506 times
Quote:
If you don't care what I think then stop quoting me, Dallas homer! Right now a guy in Dallas is buying a ford f350 Chevy pick up to drive it all over the DFW metroplex and will live up to the stereotype!
Haha, youre too cute. I can do this all day long. I find it fun. Why would I stop quoting you when youre making yourself so easy to mock?

If you get worked up, dont respond to me. But as long as you do and I can see you going crazy over it, Im going to have fun because thats what I do with clueless people.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:00 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,583,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Of course it has, but as I mentioned several times, stacked up with cities in it's same caliber, i.e. metros of 5m plus, it would be bottom of the barrel. If Houston wants to be a so called "global" city it can't keep competing with regional cities like Memphis, Bham or San Antonio. That is why I say for a big city, it's moderate at best.
Ok, but again that wasnt the topic. If someone created a thread that said: "Take all metros over 5 million and rank the most conservative", then I would agree that DFW, Houston, and Atlanta would be numbers two, three, and four (I think Detroit is actually more conservative than both despite voting blue). However, those were not the specifications.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:00 PM

215 posts, read 376,921 times
I'm far from worked up, I'm laughing at the thought of Dallas being progressive - it is laughable and cute at the same time!........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City