Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most confusing city when traveling there?
New York City 19 18.81%
Chicago 6 5.94%
Los Angeles 33 32.67%
San Fransico 17 16.83%
Houston 7 6.93%
Dallas 15 14.85%
Miami 4 3.96%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 08:34 AM

14,176 posts, read 22,648,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdivide View Post
LOL LA has a grid system unrivaled by any city in this country, it is the ultimate grid system only Chicago comes close

All sizes | South Central LA | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
That highway looks like a giant rope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 08:36 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,114,009 times
Chicago and Manhattan were the easiest for me. Boston was annoying cause I had to keep looking at a map. With Chicago and NYC I can just plot it all out in my head using street numbers in Manhattan or addresses in Chicago (every 8 blocks is one mile, every 4 blocks is a main street with a bus line basically) and never have to look at a map if I know the address of where I'm going.

Didn't have issues in the other places, but not sure which one is the "worst". Brooklyn/Queens were a little goofy cause the street names don't line up exactly since there are a ton of grids that kinds flip flop all over. And of course the area is just HUGE.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:57 AM

7,263 posts, read 10,534,339 times
Boston should definitely be on this poll; it certainly was not a city that was designed with the car in mind, although that's what helps to contribute to its charm.

Washington, DC (ironically) has a pretty foreign layout to most Americans, but once you understand the quadrant system and cross-secting avenues, it actually isn't terribly hard.

Although Philadelphia is one of the first grid-planned cities, it can be pretty unnerving to drive in for its many very narrow, one-way streets, which, like Boston, also were not designed with the car in mind.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:44 AM

6,513 posts, read 7,525,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPHX View Post
Boston and Atlanta.
I was thinking the exact same thing!

I live in Atlanta and still drive down the wrong Peachtree!

Old 08-01-2012, 10:20 AM

12,082 posts, read 38,767,240 times
Boston. It's like the drunk guy who was laying out the streets dropped a plate of spaghetti on the floor and copied the design. That being said it is one of my favorite larger cities to visit and drive around in. God only knows where you may end up if you make what seems to be a logical turn; and the entire city is loaded with history so you may not end up where you wanted to be, but there is probably a cool spot to see where you did ended up.

Atlanta would be a close second for me personally... without the interesting history to make up for the screwed up street layout.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:18 AM

1,792 posts, read 1,928,641 times
You should visit Pittsburgh. There are a few sections with a reasonable numbering system, mainly the Allegheny increasing as you go upstream from the junction from the Ohio, but in only works within a few blocks from the river in most cases. On the southside, the streets increase upstream from the Monongahela, but only work for several blocks from the river. In the Golden Triangle (downtown), you have numbered avenues parelleling the Monongahela from first to seventh (second avenue is part of the Boulevard of the Allies downtown), but most are short and a few miles eastward, Fifth avenue is a couple miles north of Second avenue! What you will find are disorganized grids, sudden curves, and lots of intersections at odd angles. Add the hills, tunnels, bridges, and winding streets, you'll see why it helps taking a GPS or map when visiting Pittsburgh.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:22 PM

5,861 posts, read 15,202,621 times
LA is the easiest imo. None in the poll are that confusing imo.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:16 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,898,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Also, he should spell "bowling brook" correctly. Typed like a troll.
I went there to Boling Brook years ago so so so sorry about spelling my bad!!!!!

Old 08-01-2012, 02:35 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,952,279 times
None of the above. Atlanta has them all beat when it comes to a confusing and just plain awful street layout. Atlanta should have also probably been a bit more creative when naming streets, instead of having a million different streets called Peachtree. Charlotte is similarly bad, but at least it doesn't have a bunch of streets with the same name. Boston can be confusing to drive around, but it's makes up for it a bit by being one of the easiest cities to navigate by foot or public transportation.

Of the cities listed, I'd probably say LA as there are some wacky streets going in all directions in the hills. For the most part though, LA is very easy to navigate. NY, Chicago, SF, Houston, Dallas, and Miami are all some of the easier big cities in American to navigate as well.

Last edited by jayp1188; 08-01-2012 at 02:47 PM..

Old 08-01-2012, 02:55 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,702,846 times
The first city to come to mind before i even opened this thread was Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City