Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most confusing city when traveling there?
New York City 19 18.81%
Chicago 6 5.94%
Los Angeles 33 32.67%
San Fransico 17 16.83%
Houston 7 6.93%
Dallas 15 14.85%
Miami 4 3.96%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 11:17 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
The most confusing city to me when it come to travel is Chicago because the city streets and main corridors go everywhere.We went to bowling brook Illinois and the layout there in the burbs are map out so so so confusing.
Lol, Chicago has one of the easiest grid systems in the US. If you know 5 or 6 main streets you can get anywhere. And the suburbs(most) are even easier to navigate......and its Bolingbrook now bowling brook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 01:52 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,904,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
Lol, Chicago has one of the easiest grid systems in the US. If you know 5 or 6 main streets you can get anywhere. And the suburbs(most) are even easier to navigate......and its Bolingbrook now bowling brook.
Bolingbrook is that correct!

Old 08-03-2012, 08:31 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Imagine Boston street patterns times twenty, and you get an idea of how weird it is and how easy it is to get lost in NYC once you're out of Manhattan.
Good point. I know that when I personally think of NYC, I'm thinking of Manhatten, which is pretty darned easy to get around in. The other boroughs, on the other hand, are a different matter.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:49 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,856,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Well I've never driven in Philly, so I can't say. Either way it doesn't make Miami-Dade/Broward's system any less confusing to me. Plus Camden's system doesn't run into Philly's considering there is a river separating them, so I'm not sure why you even use that as a comparison.

I'm not sure why this seems to bother you so much.
I used the Philly example because that's where I'm originally from, sorry.

And it doesn't really bother me except so far as I think people are being ridiculous. I'd hardly call Broward County, "Miami." Broward's layout confuses me a bit because the streets re-number a lot and the addresses don't fit the same neat system. The only thing about Miami's layout that confuses me is stuff like freeway entrances and lanes suddenly turning into turn-only lanes. That can be a pain.

Oh, and D.C. has confused me the most. The grid is pretty simple, but the Avenues can be a giant pain and don't get me started on the traffic circles. I've definitely heard D.C. people say that things were designed that way to keep drivers away. Oh, and don't roads change directions at times (one-ways reverse)?

Old 08-03-2012, 10:30 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
While Boston is pretty damn crazy with its street layout, I think NYC can give it a run for its money. Thats because MOST of NYC is NOT Manhattan, where the grid predominates and even taxi drivers from foreign countries can figure out where things are in a few weeks.

Most people here live in the boroughs which most tourists dont visit. Brooklyn and Queens, especially, were their own cities and villages before being annexed in 1898, so each one has its own layout which may or may not follow any pattern that can be divined, which can have similar sounding names on entirely different streets that are near each other (like 67th St and 67thPlace and 67th Ave), which frequently dont run in a grid, and almost never on a simple north south east west axis when they do. Plus huge sections are named, not numbered, making things even harder for folks who dont already live in a particular neighborhood.

Imagine Boston street patterns times twenty, and you get an idea of how weird it is and how easy it is to get lost in NYC once you're out of Manhattan.
Interestingly enough there is a Block in Boston that is Bound By Washington St, Washington St. and New Washington St (no Typo)

Old 08-04-2012, 08:03 AM

709 posts, read 1,401,412 times
San Antonio's downtown is by far the most confusing. Followed by Boston.

But somehow I think that just adds to the character of those cities.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:33 PM

4,364 posts, read 4,563,604 times
Not sure about the cities in the poll, since I haven't visited them all.
But I believe my own urban area (St. Louis) can be pretty confusing to navigate. Some prime examples:

1. In St. Louis County: West Florissant Avenue is located east of Florissant Avenue. And N. Florissant Road is located south of S. New Florissant Road.

2. Airport Road, a major artery due east of Lambert-St. Louis Airport, changes its name to Hereford Avenue, then to Chambers Road, all within less than a half-mile.

3. In suburban Belleville: The numbered streets continue to get higher as you travel to the northwest along West Main. But after you pass 101st, the next numbered street is 89th. And the numbers continue to decrease from there- 88th, 87th, 86th.

4. St. Charles Rock Road was so named because it was the first route connecting St. Louis to St. Charles (Missouri's former state capital). Today, the road no longer leads to St. Charles, and its name changes before entering the city of St. Louis. So technically, it no longer connects either city.

5. Where Watson Road merges with Chippewa Street in the city of St. Louis, becoming Chippewa, Watson ceases to exist. Then as Chippewa leaves the city limits, Watson is reborn, and Chippewa ceases to exist.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:35 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
How does Chicago even make this list? Give me an address in a neighborhood I've never been to before and chances are I can still drive right to it without even opening a map.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:14 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,287,231 times
Seattle is definitely up there, with multiple grids that connect in crazy ways, lots of bottlenecks, etc.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:26 PM

27 posts, read 49,975 times
Could someone add Boston to the poll? Because I think it would get a lot of votes with its cow paths...

IMO, Boston is way more overwhelming than Los Angeles when driving a car. Of course Boston is way better when it comes to this weird old world way of transportation called... walking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City