U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most confusing city when traveling there?
New York City 19 19.00%
Chicago 6 6.00%
Los Angeles 33 33.00%
San Fransico 17 17.00%
Houston 7 7.00%
Dallas 14 14.00%
Miami 4 4.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 03:12 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,567,258 times

Advertisements

The most confusing city to me when it come to travel is Chicago because the city streets and main corridors go everywhere.We went to bowling brook Illinois and the layout there in the burbs are map out so so so confusing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 03:23 PM

2,426 posts, read 3,608,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
The most confusing city to me when it come to travel is Chicago because the city streets and main corridors go everywhere.We went to bowling brook Illinois and the layout there in the burbs are map out so so so confusing.
Not to sound like arse, but maybe you should say Chicago suburbs instead of Chicago. Anyone who cannot figure out the grid system of Chicago proper must be geographically handicapped. It's a grid system for crying out loud! I also found SF to be just as easy to get around as Chicago and don't think it deserves to be on this list. Both cities are easy to naviagte.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:38 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,065,105 times
Definitely LA. LA's urban layout is beyond confusing if you take out the freeways. Once I figured out Sunset and Wilshire, it got way easier. LA's downtown has a good grid, as does hollywood to some extent, but other than that, it's a weird logic that takes a little bit of time to acclimate to.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by git45 View Post
Definitely LA. LA's urban layout is beyond confusing if you take out the freeways. Once I figured out Sunset and Wilshire, it got way easier. LA's downtown has a good grid, as does hollywood to some extent, but other than that, it's a weird logic that takes a little bit of time to acclimate to.
Agreed LA from my travels was the most confusing. Also from my experience Boston and Honolulu are two other ones with a confusing layout.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:43 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,061,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Not to sound like arse, but maybe you should say Chicago suburbs instead of Chicago. Anyone who cannot figure out the grid system of Chicago proper must be geographically handicapped. It's a grid system for crying out loud! I also found SF to be just as easy to get around as Chicago and don't think it deserves to be on this list. Both cities are easy to naviagte.
Chicago, not difficult at all with a grid system.

The city of LA I don't think is that confusing, but the web of cities and freeways surrounding it can be overwhelming and confusing.

San Francisco, can be confusing with all the steep hills - in some of the southern neighborhoods the layout is not a strict grid and is easier to get lost in.

Boston, if you are walking or using transit, not so bad. Driving?

New York's subway system could be pretty overwhelming to someone who has never used transit, but as someone who had only ever used small-town buses, the Boston subway and a little BART I had no issues navigating the city and took the subway from Brooklyn to Manhattan for a week.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:47 PM

15,421 posts, read 25,310,273 times
What is confusing about LA's street system? It's a giant grid just like other cities. I find LA pretty easier to get around.

I find Miami's street grid very confusing with the NW, NE, SW, SE grid set up. That same system is in Broward County but the base roads for the quadrants are different.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:51 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,563,533 times
SF had always confused me but then again I was a kid most of the time I had lived in that area. LA is easy. I think it's actually impossible to get lost there. Just find a freeway or, if you can see downtown you are automatically oriented. Manhattan is pretty intense at first but not so bad once you've got the hang of it. Chicago, I've never driven through that city so I won't speak to it. Boston is pretty confusing though. My vote goes to Boston.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:54 PM

I am not super familiar with LA enough maybe. I think maybe it was because as a tourist you swoop in and out of the LA's suburbs so much that I was kind of like is this LA or not? maybe the layout wasn't confusing but I have never been to a city where it's suburbs are so intergrated into the city. So possibly that is what threw me off.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:58 PM

51 posts, read 131,046 times
Boston and Atlanta.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:02 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,061,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
I am not super familiar with LA enough maybe. I think maybe it was because as a tourist you swoop in and out of the LA's suburbs so much that I was kind of like is this LA or not? maybe the layout wasn't confusing but I have never been to a city where it's suburbs are so intergrated into the city. So possibly that is what threw me off.
It also has a lot to do with the fact that people pretty much refer to all of LA county and even sometimes Orange and Ventura County as being "LA".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or