Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 03:39 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,272,481 times

Advertisements

You can thank the city of Long Beach for giving us this mind-blowing marvel of human agility. I am not a gymnastics fan by any means, but this is INSANE.

McKayla Maroney's Vault Was So Good It Literally Dropped A Judge's Jaw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 03:45 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
I agree most big cities are far away from mountains and that's their loss. Not LA, it can host both the winter and summer Olympics. It's one of the most Olympic perfect cities in the world.
No it can't, LA would never host a Winter Olympics. Vancouver was bad enough LA would be even worse as it's way too mild and warm to have a Winter Olympics. And I'm guessing you've probably never spent much time in the mountains there have you? The ski resorts there are a joke and depend on snow-making covering 100% of their terrain to remain open. They are TINY resorts too. The mountains down there would be awful for a Winter Olympics. The amount and quality of snow is not on par with places that have hosted the winter games before.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:06 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,988,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
No it can't, LA would never host a Winter Olympics. Vancouver was bad enough LA would be even worse as it's way too mild and warm to have a Winter Olympics. And I'm guessing you've probably never spent much time in the mountains there have you? The ski resorts there are a joke and depend on snow-making covering 100% of their terrain to remain open. They are TINY resorts too. The mountains down there would be awful for a Winter Olympics. The amount and quality of snow is not on par with places that have hosted the winter games before.
Does the LA area have mountains and snow?

Answer that sav, and then you will be caught up in the discussion. LA can host the winter Olympics if it wants, no one claimed its Juneau, Alaska quality for a winter Olympics but you can make the most of the terrain around LA in winter. The way you're making it sound like Dubai where all the snow and ski slopes have to be indoors. Not that the winter Olympics has high standards to begin with, after all it is the winter Olympics.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:

Answer that sav, and then you will be caught up in the discussion. LA can host the winter Olympics if it wants, no one claimed its Juneau, Alaska quality for a winter Olympics but you can make the most of the terrain around LA in winter. The way you're making it sound like Dubai where all the snow and ski slopes have to be indoors. Not that the winter Olympics has high standards to begin with, after all it is the winter Olympics.
Apparently reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, reread what I wrote because I was talking about the mountains and snow in the LA area, so your question was already answered before you even asked me it.

No matter how low the Winter Olympic standards are they aren't low enough to ever have LA in the conversation. Vegas has mountains and snow near it too and is actually colder than LA in winter, maybe we should consider it to host the winter games! Unlike LA it even snows there every few years.

The quality of the mountains and snow in LA are simply not good enough for the Winter Olympics and that's on top of how much of a joke it would be to host events in a city that regularly exceeds 70 degrees in the middle of winter.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:31 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,988,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Apparently reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, reread what I wrote because I was talking about the mountains and snow in the LA area, so your question was already answered before you even asked me it.
The conversation wasn't about what you wrote sav, like always there is a conversation afoot and you see your way into it, disagreeing vigoriously with any of California's merits in a way to make the state more midwestern humble. If that's the sort of person you are, then I can respect that but me, I'm different.

TAM and btown's points were that the winter Olympics are significant, in a way that's true because its the dominant sporting event of that season but its overshadowed by not only the summer Olympics but dare I say the popularity of FIFA, FINA, FIBA, F1, PGA.

Their next point was that very few cities have mountains, LA has mountains. Very few cities have snow, LA has that. No one was arguing quality until you put your foot into the door trying to pass LA off as if it was a place like Dubai (indoor skiing, indoor snow sports).
Quote:
No matter how low the Winter Olympic standards are they aren't low enough to ever have LA in the conversation.
Well they need to explore that idea then. LA would be a unique city to showoff for a winter Olympics, it would change our perceptions of winter altogether. A city where the climate stays consistent and sunny, not far from snow capped mountains where you can ski and then take your achievements and celebrate at the beach.
Quote:
Vegas has mountains and snow near it too and is actually colder than LA in winter, maybe we should consider it to host the winter games too!
We should.
Quote:
The quality of the mountains and snow in LA are simply not good enough and that's on top of how much of a joke it would be to host events in a city that regularly exceeds 70 degrees in the middle of winter.
Quality is your argument and I think LA can find ways around that to meet a quality argument for the sports. We put a man on the moon, I think putting some extra snow on a mountain should be a piece of cake in comparison.

70 degrees would be a luxury for those winter Olympians to enjoy after a long hard day of sporting.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
The conversation wasn't about what you wrote sav, like always there is a conversation afoot and you see your way into it, disagreeing vigoriously with any of California's merits in a way to make the state more midwestern humble. If that's the sort of person you are, then I can respect that but me, I'm different.
No, it's more disagreeing with your delusional CA boosterism than anything as make some really outlandish statements.

Quote:
Their next point was that very few cities have mountains, LA has mountains. Very few cities have snow, LA has that. No one was arguing quality until you put your foot into the door trying to pass LA off as if it was a place like Dubai (indoor skiing, indoor snow sports).
Well some of us possess enough critical thinking skills to know why a city like LA would never host a winter olympics despite its proximity to mountains and snow.

But go ahead and delude yourself into thinking it can, don't hold your breath though waiting for it to ever be considered.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:46 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Quote:

Neither Los Angeles(or Juneau) is ready for the Winter Olympics. The reason is that you need at minimum a ski area with at least a 2,560 vertical feet drop to hold a Olympic or World Cup level downhill skiing race. There's no ski areas in the LA region with a vertical drop that high. The other biggest problems would be that the San Bernadino Mountains and other surrounding mountain ranges don't get reliable snowfall totals many winters. Even if you could build a new ski area with a large veritcal drop or somehow expand an existing one--you'd be risking everything on snowmaking ability. But the mountains around LA aren't ideal for world-class ski areas or there'd be bigger ones already.

There's also the fact that having the Winter Games in sunny LA in February with 65-70 degree weather wouldn't feel very winter-like.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:55 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,458,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Id love to see another LA Olympics or Bay Area.
A Bay Area Olympics would be awesome, but it won't happen in a billion years. Even just the prospect of having the America's Cup here has proven massively controversial.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:59 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,923,182 times
Quote:
LOL the winter Olympics are a failed joke. I cant believe you haven't ever wondered why little towns around the world like Nagano, Sochi, Lillehammer, Pyeongchang, Albertville host these sports instead of the big powerful cities.
Your comments and opinions mean less and less, when you post comments like these. If you want your words to contain merit, then you can't be so ridiculous.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:14 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times
Not just California but the whole West coast is pretty impressive, Huge amount coming out of Portland and Seattle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City