Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 05:22 PM

857 posts, read 1,366,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
as for as underground hip hop goes place like nyc,nj, philly, chicago and detroit will always run that game.
Yes. Chicago to a lessor degree for hip hop to me..Although Lupe and Common are some of my favs period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 05:34 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,410,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreenDown View Post
Yes. Chicago to a lessor degree for hip hop to me..Although Lupe and Common are some of my favs period.
same here but chicago artist have talent. But this new artist chief keef isnt your usual chicago artist he sounds like he is trying to look and act southern. Never knew chicago gangstas were even into dreads until i saw chief keef posse.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:35 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Right now most of my favorite bands are from San Francisco (and a few from LA) - those two scenes mix and match a lot anyways. Brooklyn always puts out a few good bands (of the seemingly millions that come from there) though I don't go for the trendier stuff that comes out of there.

From the past my favorites would be DC (Dischord / DeSoto) or San Diego (Swami / Gravity).

Olympia has Kill Rock Stars which is pretty good too, Seattle has Sub Pop (practically a major) and Up Records.

As far as hip-hop, for me East Bay will be my favorite underground stuff but there is tons of stuff from all over.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:38 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,759,786 times
Right now IMO the best underground hip hop scenes are Chicago, the Bay Area, Atlanta and New York in no particular order with Los Angeles, Detroit and New Orleans as notable runner-ups.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Right now IMO the best underground hip hop scenes are Chicago, the Bay Area, Atlanta and New York in no particular order with Los Angeles, Detroit and New Orleans as notable runner-ups.
never knew atlanta had a underground hip hop scene since most of the premature music their becomes a instant mainstream usual. same as new orleans(Except for my dude currency)

as for the bay area their underground artist seem to the same artist that were underground 5 years ago.

but i will agree with chicao , nyc, and l.a.

anyone hear messes with kendrick lamar?

Old 08-07-2012, 08:27 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,957 times
Quote:
same here but chicago artist have talent. But this new artist chief keef isnt your usual chicago artist he sounds like he is trying to look and act southern. Never knew chicago gangstas were even into dreads until i saw chief keef posse.
Its been in the chi for a minuet (like 5 or six years)I know my cousin had em back in like '08. But at first it was just a handful of people now it seems like everyother person got dreads.

And chief keef makes something called "drill music". its some new sht

Old 08-07-2012, 08:29 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
nyc all day every day

Old 08-07-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
Its been in the chi for a minuet (like 5 or six years)I know my cousin had em back in like '08. But at first it was just a handful of people now it seems like everyother person got dreads.

And chief keef makes something called "drill music". its some new sht
its really a eye soar really. at first newark, dc, oakland , and southern folks rocked deads everywhere.

i thought l.a, chicago and nyc wouldnt join that wave but ahhhhh well. Nyc has a lot of dread heads mainly because the city is run by caribbean black culture. The black americans mainly have hair cuts and to a small extent braids(braids arent as popular as they use to)

but when i saw chief keef video "everyday" for the first time i was like o wowww look at these dc people....then when i found out he was from chicago i was like

Old 08-07-2012, 08:32 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
names?

Old 08-07-2012, 08:50 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,957 times
Quote:
its really a eye soar really. at first newark, dc, oakland , and southern folks rocked deads everywhere.

i thought l.a, chicago and nyc wouldnt join that wave but ahhhhh well. Nyc has a lot of dread heads mainly because the city is run by caribbean black culture. The black americans mainly have hair cuts and to a small extent braids(braids arent as popular as they use to)

but when i saw chief keef video "everyday" for the first time i was like o wowww look at these dc people....then when i found out he was from chicago i was like
now that you mention it he does kinda look like a D.C. cat with the dreads and the northface. Seems like he's cool with alotta D.C. people too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City