Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: most recognized by the world
Boston 106 71.62%
Phily 42 28.38%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 06:47 PM

10,084 posts, read 15,814,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheal St. Paul View Post
Dude no culture today and I mean NONE is more of an influence to me than Hip-Hop today.
There, fixed it for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 06:55 PM

13,992 posts, read 14,936,855 times
Quote:
ROFL I'm done now. Now you guys are just turning delusional. Mac Miller lives n Philly and NYC dude
Clearly your on the Losing side of things.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:57 PM

13,992 posts, read 14,936,855 times
Quote:
Dude I get it. Harvard is heaven. But seriously that's all you have that's really out there outside of Aerosmith. The average person can't even get into Harvard so they look at other schools like Penn State. I heard a recent statistic. Don't know if it was true but it said. "1 out of 10 americans who graduate college attend Penn State." Now I could see that being true because Penn State is a MASSIVE school.
No, You pulled that out of your ass'

Old 08-06-2012, 07:02 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,849,204 times
I voted Boston.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:05 PM

2,346 posts, read 3,980,576 times
Quote:
Notice how everyone defending Boston is from California.
Eastcoast has two places that culturally share a bond with San Francisco and those are Boston and Manhattan. I don't know why but almost everyone I talk to here seems to have the same two places in mind for the east. Personally we all know how I feel about all of NYC but I do like Boston. Would love it if its weather wasn't crap. Chicago is one where people have mixed feelings about, some people don't think its worth the weather but others see it as a bargain.

For the rest of the west there's Portland, Seattle, Sacramento, Austin, Denver, and LA, yes LA is popular here.
Quote:
The Bay posters love Boston
Ditto
Quote:
and the way they love Boston is by taking shots at Philly as if Philly has ever did anything wrong to those guys out West.
First of all, I don't hate Phily.

The real issue I have with Phily is just this forum. I wouldn't ever say anything disparaging about it in real life. My issue with Phily is that I like many before don't know much about the city, have always considered it on the underrated side of the line, and come online only to witness this "super city" of sorts where perfection is supposedly a reality, where the climate, location, downtown, shopping, food, airport, sports, culture, history is supposedly on this godly level that not even NYC can compete with. I have an issue with that, because I have been to Phily once, decent place but its no where close to the tinted rose field the Phily posse on here try to make it out to be. A few other cities like that on this forum are NYC, Houston, Miami, Denver, and some place called Charlotte which I just recently learned of but cant stop seeing so much about it on this forum.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:18 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,484,451 times
Quote:
I heard a recent statistic. Don't know if it was true but it said. "1 out of 10 americans who graduate college attend Penn State."
9 out of 10 Americans know that isn't true.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
But Scrantx, you say Boston and Manhattan as if that's a plus for Boston? I'm from NYC and people there usually think about Philly, DC, Jersey, Miami, and other citys outside the Country.
Truthfully, most people that live in the bay have no quest to find another place to live. Most would gladly live and die here, myself included. I love this place.

However not all of us are fortunate, and some of us have to relocate for our families, jobs, or COL. When we look for where we want to go we try to find similar places, a place where outdoor culture is king, weather is on the milder side, the industries are similar, and the politics are in our favor. Personally I find NYC to be very conservative despite its democrat leanings, yes even more conservative than Phily. The hipsters and yuppies in Manhattan and Brooklyn don't give a sh-t about liberalism, they live for the lifestyle, NYC is a backwater for gay reformation. Most San Franciscans don't care though, they just want to be in the next best big city there is, and the price tag allures them to NYC, because a lot of people are just allured to "more expensive obviously means better". I prefer Boston, its cheaper, more progressive, much more culturally similar to San Francisco on recreation, low crime rate, but the only downside is its weather and its scenery is not up to my level. I wont be happy until California turns on the proposition where gay marriage is up for vote, I gladly support it. New England is one of the most admirable places politically, especially for a Northern Californian. We see what they're doing and its what we want to do but we have to many hangups to get there.

Its generalizing but if you're from Brooklyn you will like a place like Phily more, if you're from Manhattan then you will like Boston or San Francisco more. San Francisco-Seattle-Boston-Manhattan just share a connection that's almost invisible but the people in these 4 places seem to understand it.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Please explain to me what culture is more popular than Hip Hop. I mean Hip Hop is easily the most diverse and most popular culture in the WORLD today. Unlike Rock Culture.
Country music.

Maybe to you and I it's not very important, but to millions of people, it is. It is just as culturally relevant as hip hop culture.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:

Are you being serious right now? The average person in America could probably name at least 10 hip hop stars. Can't say the same for Country music rofl.
Also Country music isn't culture. It's a genre.
Hip-Hop is a culture.
A lot of things out there today associate itself with Hip-Hop. And I mean A LOT of things.
Ok country / cowboy culture.

The funniest thing is Philly is hardly the biggest name in Hip Hop anyways. I think of LA, NYC, Miami / FL, NO, East Bay, Houston, Atlanta before I think of Philly.

yeah Boston sucks for hip hop. so what.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Did the Giants win the super bowl (answer is yes), was the score close, yes etc.
I wouldn't know. I don't watch sports when NYC is fighting for championship titles. I just turn my TV off and carry on with the rest of my day. I don't give NYC anything the time of day for TV, politics being the exception and with the mock run from Donald Trump I think I have heard enough for the next year from New Yorkers.

I was rooting for the Pats in spirit just because they're not from NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City