Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: most recognized by the world
Boston 106 71.62%
Phily 42 28.38%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 02:30 AM

304 posts, read 871,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I must have missed that. We looked long and hard for a "vibrant" black community in Boston and usually ended up at Javon's in Providence.

Boston has a large Caribbean population, but it's definitely pretty close to having second-class citizen status (along with other ethnic groups other than Irish and Italians). Boston is not superly overtly racist, but the fact that the city has never had a non-Irish, non-Italian or non-WASP mayor does say something about the political dynamics of the city.
I would definitely say there is a generational gap with race relations in Boston. I think people get surprised with Boston because in many ways it is a progressive city, but does have a pretty dark past in terms of race relations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 07:26 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
I would say the two cities are dead even. Neither have particularly strong name recognition internationally (compared to NYC, LA, DC or Miami). Both are known domestically for their roles during the American War of Independence.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:56 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Philly - history, period.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:42 AM

857 posts, read 1,365,795 times
Quote:
I would say the two cities are dead even. Neither have particularly strong name recognition internationally (compared to NYC, LA, DC or Miami). Both are known domestically for their roles during the American War of Independence.
That's my sentiment exactly. Neither is head and shoulders over the other overall. Although I think they both have their strong points where they may shine a little more. Boston-Higher Education and Politically, Philly-Cuisine and Pop Culture/Music/Film.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:12 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,252,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Your taste in music is pretty good and you seem to have an idea about the musicians and venues, which one of these two cities are better for this type of music? Boston or Phily?

My guess would be Boston, just because of the hipster population, normally they are the ones most into dubstep.
Boston scene is limited in venues for trance but you have to find the household acts, DJ Axon, DJ Tailspin, DJ Krom, Carnage. These DJ's will take the music from Andy Moor, Armin van Buren, and Paul van Dyke and mix it their own way. There's a place called Venu but its not trance its techno music. Boston is an underground trance scene, its popular but you have to know the certain people that know aspiring DJ's. Boston trance is limited to psytrance and that subgenre isn't for everyone. There is a trance club on Boylston but I cant remember its name.

I don't know anything about Philly's trance scene. Maybe ask kidphilly, he may know.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:33 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,252,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreenDown View Post
That's my sentiment exactly. Neither is head and shoulders over the other overall. Although I think they both have their strong points where they may shine a little more. Boston-Higher Education and Politically, Philly-Cuisine and Pop Culture/Music/Film.
Wha?

Old 08-07-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheal St. Paul View Post
You are more likely to catch and/or hear about Philly on the TV than Boston.
That would probably only be because of Rocky. TNT and AMC show all five Rocky movies in their infinite mediocrity (except for Rocky III!!!) about three times a year.

I can only think of a handful of movies and/or TV shows filmed in either one off the top of my head:

Boston:
Ally McBeal
Boston Legal
Boston Public
Cheers (maybe the greatest sitcom of all time)
Mystic River
With Honors
The Town
Good Will Hunting
The Social Network

Philadelphia:
Cold Case
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Rocky
Law Abiding Citizen
Invincible
The Sixth Sense
Philadelphia
Trading Places
???

Old 08-07-2012, 12:47 PM

857 posts, read 1,365,795 times
Quote:
That would probably only be because of Rocky. TNT and AMC show all five Rocky movies in their infinite mediocrity (except for Rocky III!!!) about three times a year.

I can only think of a handful of movies and/or TV shows filmed in either one off the top of my head:

Boston:
Ally McBeal
Boston Legal
Boston Public
Cheers (maybe the greatest sitcom of all time)
Mystic River
With Honors
The Town
Good Will Hunting
The Social Network

Philadelphia:
Cold Case
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Rocky
Law Abiding Citizen
Invincible
The Sixth Sense
Philadelphia
Trading Places
???
-----
Baby Mama
The Shooter
Shadow Boxer
Gia
Mannequin
Lady in the Water
Fallen
These are more off the top of my head..

Some other notable TV shows in Philly
American Dreams
Amen
Strong Medicine
Til Death

Im sure there's more..

Old 08-07-2012, 12:53 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
Wow I completely missed this thread. Good read though.

I think personally that Boston obviously has greater name recognition outside of the US

Inside of the US, Philadelphia has greater name recognition just due to the history of the city. Everyone learns about Philadelphia in elementary school and the founding of the country. Also, Philadelphia is more well known as far as pop-culture goes in my opinion just from movies and TV shows alone. Philly is also a more well known food city. They're tied as far as sports go in my opinion. Boston has the slight edge as far as schools go, but Philly has FAR better party schools. Philly has better nightlife. Both are equal on urbanity.

Philadelphia has more visitors.

In 2011, Philadelphia had a record 38 million visitors.
GPTMC Releases Annual Report & Announces Record Visitation - Official Philadelphia Tourism Pressroom - visitphilly.com

In 2011, Boston had 27.4 million visitors.
Boston- Statistics & Reports

A quick search on google found that Philadelphia has/had slightly more films/TV Shows filmed in it than Boston.

Boston- 1,533
IMDb: Most Popular Titles With Location Matching "Boston, Massachusetts, USA"

Philadelphia- 1,555
IMDb: Most Popular Titles With Location Matching "Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA"

As far as hip-hop music goes, Philadelphia has way better name recognition in the hip-hop scene. Music overall though, they are pretty much tied.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreenDown View Post
These are more off the top of my head..

Some other notable TV shows in Philly
American Dreams
Amen
Strong Medicine
Til Death

Im sure there's more..
I was going to throw State Property in there. BET is unfortunately in the UK, France, Germany, South Africa and the Caribbean now.

State Property Trailer - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City