Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: most recognized by the world
Boston 106 71.62%
Phily 42 28.38%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 07:33 PM

115 posts, read 116,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Your taste in music is pretty good and you seem to have an idea about the musicians and venues, which one of these two cities are better for this type of music? Boston or Phily?

My guess would be Boston, just because of the hipster population, normally they are the ones most into dubstep.

If we're talking dubstep/hipsters? Philly > Boston, easily.

Philly is way cheaper, and the culture and arts scene is definitely superior to Boston. Philly has that DIY, gritty vibe to it. Its cheap enough for tons of artists to live. Boston simply, is not.

Philly is a hipster hotbed. Next to Williamsburg, its probably the 2nd most prominent on the East Coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 07:56 PM

9,309 posts, read 12,897,127 times
I really don't know, but I would guess Boston. Philly is more likely to be overshadowed by New York.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:59 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,387,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMotts View Post
If we're talking dubstep/hipsters? Philly > Boston, easily.

Philly is way cheaper, and the culture and arts scene is definitely superior to Boston. Philly has that DIY, gritty vibe to it. Its cheap enough for tons of artists to live. Boston simply, is not.

Philly is a hipster hotbed. Next to Williamsburg, its probably the 2nd most prominent on the East Coast.
I think you're selling Boston short in this department. The Allston-Brighton area has a lot of this. It's not quite as edgy as South Street in Philly but there's definitely an artist/music vibe in the area, along with other spots around Mission Hill. If I'm not mistaken, there's a good deal of it in Jamaica Plain now as well.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:14 PM

115 posts, read 116,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I think you're selling Boston short in this department. The Allston-Brighton area has a lot of this. It's not quite as edgy as South Street in Philly but there's definitely an artist/music vibe in the area, along with other spots around Mission Hill. If I'm not mistaken, there's a good deal of it in Jamaica Plain now as well.

and youre selling Philly short of neighborhoods. Theres a lot more hipster neighborhoods in Philly than Boston. Its also much more affordable. Philly is a hipster breeding ground.

Boston is way too expensive. Philly is also the more artistic city.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:10 AM

13,940 posts, read 14,806,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMotts View Post
and youre selling Philly short of neighborhoods. Theres a lot more hipster neighborhoods in Philly than Boston. Its also much more affordable. Philly is a hipster breeding ground.

Boston is way too expensive. Philly is also the more artistic city.
Who brags about hipsters? they are stupid and annoying, and murals are dumb IMO, its an excuse for graffitti.
Boston has just as much as an art scene as Phillly.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Who brags about hipsters? they are stupid and annoying, and murals are dumb IMO, its an excuse for graffitti.
Boston has just as much as an art scene as Phillly.
I wouldn't be so quick to bite the hand that feeds your urban revitalization.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I wouldn't be so quick to bite the hand that feeds your urban revitalization.
the .com boom saved Boston, aka Massachusetts Miracle, not some Hipster.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobCam View Post
Youre bringing down Boston's intelligent rep.

Murals are a huge part of Philly's cityscape, which adds character and charm in ways Boston simply cannot match.

Simply put, the arts scene, including music? Philly > Boston.
I did not realize my OPINION could be wrong, but of course the all mighty Philadephian knows best.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
the .com boom saved Boston, aka Massachusetts Miracle, not some Hipster.
Hipsters, in aggregate, helped facilitate the revitalization of many previously "uninhabitable" neighborhoods. This is the story in many cities across America. In Boston, the .com boom may have been the cause, but the hipsters were definitely the ones who did the gentrification-related "dirty work."

Old 08-15-2012, 02:23 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,665,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post

I think it does have more than it gets credit for (meaning Boston) that said still probably an area moreso in Philly. Also I wouldnt even call South Street that edgy in terms of nabes, parts north like No Libs, Fishtown would probably be moreso (even Old City, esp on art galleries etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City