Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Six Flags State?
California 51 30.36%
Georgia 16 9.52%
Illinois 14 8.33%
Maryland 4 2.38%
Massachusetts 5 2.98%
Missouri 4 2.38%
New Jersey 36 21.43%
New York 1 0.60%
Texas 37 22.02%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 12:25 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
Essentially, they tore up Texas Giant and turned it into a ultraintense steel coaster with wood supports.

Old: rcdb.com

New (with the 2001 Giovanola hypertwister Titan in the background): rcdb.com
Awesome. I remember the Texas Giant and the other wooden coaster The Rattler(in San Antonio) making alot of noises and swaying and shaking alot while people were riding it. That kinda added to the mystique and notoriety of those giant wooden coasters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 12:53 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,437,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
^Yeah, I agree. Lucky for Baltimore-DC, Kings Dominion, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Great Adventure, Hersheypark, and Dorney Park aren't terribly far off.

Well, I certainly am not going to argue that Disneyland is a better deal than Six Flags. Talk about overpriced. Disney is such a different category. So much of their customer base comes from out-of-state and even out-of-country, whereas KBF and SFMM draw mainly from southern California. But all the Knott's prices are between $2 and $15 cheaper than Six Flags. That seems fair to me, since Knott's is just that much smaller. I'd call that just as good a deal as Six Flags, maybe even a bit better. I personally think Knott's and Magic Mountain are about equal. There are fewer roller coasters at Knott's, but taking quality over quantity, they can definitely compete with Magic Mountain's lineup. I might give the edge to Knott's simply because Cedar Fair doesn't tend to plaster every inch of its park with advertising. I usually feel like I'm walking through a giant commercial at Six Flags parks (this has improved slightly this season, at least based on my trip to Six Flags Great America in July).
True, but it still pisses me off that we only have one amusement park within our region. We have 8.5 million or so residents in this area and Six Flags or any other amusement park company is missing the opportunity to milk this area. If I had a few billions laying around I'd open a amazing amusement park somewhere between Baltimore and DC, that could potentially even draw people from Philadelphia. There's no excuse for Six Flags being that pathetic, last time I went I was kid (12 or so) and it was pathetic then and ever since I've never been back. I'd rather go to Kings Domonion.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:01 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Awesome. I remember the Texas Giant and the other wooden coaster The Rattler(in San Antonio) making alot of noises and swaying and shaking alot while people were riding it. That kinda added to the mystique and notoriety of those giant wooden coasters.
RIP Texas Cyclone.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:20 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,440,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
And now both those coasters are gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY
True, but it still pisses me off that we only have one amusement park within our region. We have 8.5 million or so residents in this area and Six Flags or any other amusement park company is missing the opportunity to milk this area. If I had a few billions laying around I'd open a amazing amusement park somewhere between Baltimore and DC, that could potentially even draw people from Philadelphia. There's no excuse for Six Flags being that pathetic, last time I went I was kid (12 or so) and it was pathetic then and ever since I've never been back. I'd rather go to Kings Domonion.
Yeah, SFA needs a major makeover. At this point, the best thing for that park would be if Six Flags sold it to Herschend or some independent company. When I was younger, whenever a school group flew out to Washington, they would spend a day at Busch Gardens, not Six Flags America. I did that myself in eighth grade. But you could do a lot worse than 2-3 hours to get to a decent park. I mean Denver and Seattle are both like a day's drive away from a major park.

Fun fact: Six Flags Great America outside Chicago and California's Great America in the Bay Area were both originally called Marriott's Great America, and there was a plan to open a third Marriott's Great America near Washington, DC.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:57 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,706,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Fan View Post
Six Flags offer deals to me that are much better than the other Amusement parks in the L.A. metro.

Knotts Berry Farm:
Single-Day Tickets Online!

Buy your Single-Day Regular tickets in advance and they are just $37.99 each - a savings of $20 per ticket!

Pick the option that works best for you:
3-Day Advance Single-Day Regular (Ages 12-61)
Online: $37.99 / Gate: $57.99 / You Save $20
Two-Day Regular (Ages 12-61)
Online: $57.99
Single-Day Regular (Ages 12-61)
Online: $39.99 / Gate: $57.99 / You Save $18
Single-Day Jr. (Ages 3-11) / Sr. (Ages 62+)
Online: $25.99 / Gate: $29.99 / You save $4

Single-Day Parking
Online: $15 / Gate: $15

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________

Disneyland:
1-Day Theme Park TicketsValid now through December 31, 2013.1-Day 1-Park Ticket

Ages 3 to 9
$81.00Ages 10 & Up
$87.00Buy
1-Day Park Hopper Ticket

Visit both parks each day of your ticket.
Ages 3 to 9
$119.00Ages 10 & Up
$125.00Buy

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________

Six Flags Magic Mountain:
DAILY TICKETS

3 DAY ADVANCE PURCHASE ONLINE TICKET $39.99

Save $25 when you buy your tickets online at least three days before your visit — pay just $39.99. Print your tickets at home and go straight to the gate.

Open daily through September 3, then weekends in the fall.

BUY ADVANCE TICKET

ONLINE TICKET $44.99

Buy your tickets online and pay just $44.99 — a $20 savings. Print at home and go straight to the gate. This ticket can be used right away.

BUY TICKETS NOW

TICKET PRICES AT THE PARK

• General Admission $64.99
  • Child Under 48" $39.99
  • 2 & Under FREE
I know the Great America offers tickets for $28-29 w/free parking if you use a can of coke or buy them at a local grocery store. I don't know if all the Six Flags are this way. The park itself is decent, has some good rides but the food sucks IMO.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:21 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
I haven't rode a rollercoaster since Final Destination 3.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:30 AM

126 posts, read 295,977 times
I don't go to any Six Flags parks anymore. They're rides are cheaply built and have very poor maintenance.
Carowinds all the way.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:27 AM

6,689 posts, read 9,935,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagrown View Post
I don't go to any Six Flags parks anymore. They're rides are cheaply built and have very poor maintenance.
Carowinds all the way.
Which one did you go to? I have never experienced that at SFOT.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:31 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,544,447 times
The only Six Flags I have been to is here in Atlanta. I give it a passing grade, with small deductions for heat based delusions after standing in the 100 degree sun for 45-60 minutes.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:41 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,307,616 times
The only one I've been to was the Six Flags in Gurnee IL. Its cool but crowded as hell(like most theme parks ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City