U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Is Dallas becoming the Chicago Of The South
Yes 25 14.62%
No 146 85.38%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 11:17 PM

10,998 posts, read 6,757,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
what is this math you are talking about. DART is long, that is just it. Metro is much more efficient system
with the second highest ridership per mile among other light rail system. DART is the lowest of all major metros.
It's honestly not that hard to be inefficient in the strictest sense with a short starter line that runs through the core, especially in a metro as centralized as Houston.

Quote:
that is what Dallas tried to do. google DART ridership and you will find a plethora of articles (from Dallasites themselves) on how the system failed. The areas where they were expecting TODs were not as attractive as areas where denser enclaves were popping up. In other words would you pay as much for a TOD with few amenities, that you would for a more mature more dense area with a host of amenities? The TODs are developing slower than anticipated along DART because the amenities are slow to follow. A system like DART would work in an area like London where there is uniform density. Even the Dallas writers say that the metro is way to sparse to support such a spread out system
Well, I've been given two answers (by Dallasites) to the lack of TOD near DART stations. First, there is no zoning in the Dallas for TOD's (although the suburbs have been a bit more successful, as Plano, Richardson, Garland, Farmers Branch and Carrollton all have done something specific around their rail stations). The second reason is DART doesn't have the powers granted to it by the State to financially encourage TODs; it can only advocate and encourage their member cities to set up TOD's. Nevertheless, as Dallas continues maturing and densifying, it's only a matter of time before more development pops up around the stations, either in the form of TOD's or more organically.

Quote:
You can if it is on a per mile basis. That evens it out. But you right, DART isn't much competition for Metro. Only Boston's green Line has a higher ridership per mile than Metro
Ridership per mile doesn't mean a whole lot practically when the line goes less than 8 miles.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:31 PM

18,516 posts, read 16,240,643 times
Good luck with that. Try convincing someone to pay the same for a home in Richardson that they would pay in Uptown just so they could pay 5 bucks to ride a transportation system that takes twice the time to get them to work. Screw that, they could get to work faster and cheaper if they drive. and heck if they live as close as uptown then all the better.

also good luck on the Dallas maturing bit. The areas where the jobs are popping up are not the same as the areas where DART goes. The system is so spread out, Dallas would have to gain about 10M more people to make it efficient. You make it seem so easy to get to that figure but I just don't see it getting that many people

Old 08-11-2012, 12:06 AM

523 posts, read 411,397 times
It will be when there's a Dallas hot dog.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:48 AM

1,198 posts, read 430,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFries View Post
It will be when there's a Dallas hot dog.
This is the best answer so far.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:59 AM

3,383 posts, read 2,667,191 times
I visited Dallas once, I didn't find it that exciting really. Not saying its a horrible city or anything but Dallas being like Chicago....lol come on.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:52 AM

691 posts, read 467,864 times
Dallas is nothiing like Chicago period! Driving east on the I-30 it looks like I'm driving in the suburbs all the way 'til I reach the skyscrapers at the 35W interchange.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:58 AM

3,200 posts, read 2,388,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
I visited Dallas once, I didn't find it that exciting really. Not saying its a horrible city or anything but Dallas being like Chicago....lol come on.
The question is..."Is it becoming the Chicago of the south?"....not is it becoming Chicago. No one in their right mind would think Dallas is matching up to Chicago..But Dallas could possibly grow into being as important to this reigon of the U.S as Chicago is to it's reigon of the U.S.....Which is whats being asked.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:40 PM

10,998 posts, read 6,757,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
The question is..."Is it becoming the Chicago of the south?"....not is it becoming Chicago. No one in their right mind would think Dallas is matching up to Chicago..But Dallas could possibly grow into being as important to this reigon of the U.S as Chicago is to it's reigon of the U.S.....Which is whats being asked.
Actually, if you read the very first post in this thread, the OP didn't have this in mind at all. Furthermore, it's obvious that Dallas is nowhere near being as singularly important to its region (whether you consider that Texas or the South Central U.S.) as Chicago is to the Midwest.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:10 PM

691 posts, read 467,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
I don't believe that Dallas can become the most important city in the South. A port goes a long way elevating a city and Dallas is land locked. I would give the nod to Houston.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:34 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,037,307 times
No
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City