Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which major metro area has the least diversified economy?
Washington, D.C. 16 11.27%
Detroit 25 17.61%
San Francisco Bay Area/Silicon Valley 12 8.45%
Las Vegas 55 38.73%
Orlando 14 9.86%
Raleigh-Durham/Research Triangle 3 2.11%
Charlotte 6 4.23%
Nashville 3 2.11%
Pittsburgh 2 1.41%
Other 6 4.23%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 11:37 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,856,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yeah, as a matter of technicality San Jose is a different MSA, but economically speaking the Bay Area has a very diverse and extremely complex economy and is a major hub of finance, manufacturing, transportation, energy, education, health care, trade & commerce and so on.

But since SJ is separate I suppose its worth mentioning that San Jose also has the fastest growing economy, the highest average wage, the highest per capita GDP, the highest number of Fortune 500 companies per capita, the most patents issued annually, is now the dominant player in wireless communications, social media, the global nexus of internet traffic, is the top recipient of venture capital in the world and is producing jobs at a faster rate than ANY major MSA at this time.
I don't think it is a technicality. rules are put into place to have standards. San Jose and SF does NOT meet the standard for being joined as one metro (well it did not in 2000, don't know if things have changed).

SJ does have a very fast growing economy which may be a hint that it is going to remain Independent. The bigger a city is and the more jobs of its own it can create, the harder it is to be joined with another MSA.

I dunno if you know which counties in the SF MSA are core counties, most probably it is SF County and whatever county Oakland is in, but to be joined as one MSA the commuters must be commuting to a core county, not any county in a metro. So although the MSAs may have more than 25% interactions in neighboring counties, unless 25% of SJ work force works in SF county, or 25% of SF work in SJ core counties, then they will remain separate.

It is no technicality, this is uniform across the US. It is what is keeping Milwaukee from joining Chicago, what is keeping Baltimore away from DC and Philly away from NY. Judging by distance is arbitrary because there will be too many disagreements over how close is close enough. Changing the requirement to interaction with whatever county instead of the core county will also cause problems. For example in Houston, the NE fringe counties meet the interactions requirements with counties as far as Angelina County, which itself meets requirements to Tyler and Longview which meets requirements with fringe counties with DFW, which meet requirements with Waco which loosely meets requirements all the way down to San Antonio. If you simply judge my any county you have pretty much the whole state of Texas loosely joined by sparsely populated counties.

The census rules right now make a lot of sense. In fact I think the requirements should be even tighter. Especially for those sparse counties that are easily tacked on to metros like Houston and DFW because their small population makes it easy to meet the 25% threshold.

I would recommend that if the UA does not extend into county then that county's requirements for joining the MSA should be increased to 35%. That way Houston would knock off 6 counties and result in a whopping 200K population loss
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 11:47 AM

36,644 posts, read 67,325,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I don't think it is a technicality. rules are put into place to have standards. San Jose and SF does NOT meet the standard for being joined as one metro (well it did not in 2000, don't know if things have changed).
Yes, but San Jose is still part of the Bay Area and any economic gains or losses in San Jose will be either tempered or amplified by and in the surrounding region, and that is more than a technicality, its a fact.

Quote:
SJ does have a very fast growing economy which may be a hint that it is going to remain Independent.
How exactly does that hint at SJ remaining a separate MSA?

If anything as San Jose's GDP booms, that will require thousands more people from the SF MSA commuting there for work.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Yes, but San Jose is still part of the Bay Area and any economic gains or losses in San Jose will be either tempered or amplified by and in the surrounding region, and that is more than a technicality, its a fact.
mo one will ever disagree with you that SJ is part of the Bay area. What they will tell you is that as of now the Bay are a is not a metro.

Quote:
How exactly does that hint at SJ remaining a separate MSA?
I explained that already. The more an area grows the harder it is to meet the threshold. If my county has 4 residents only one of us needs a job in your core county to tack us on. Now if my county has 2M people a whopping 500,000 people would have to make the trek to SF to be tacked on. And as SJ economy blossoms the less dependence it places on SJ on venturing into the SF counties.

Quote:
If anything as San Jose's GDP booms, that will require thousands more people from the SF MSA commuting there for work.
More than likely it would cause a greater number of people to move to the much cheaper SJ area instead of commuting.

anyway, I am no expert just speculating based on what I see here in my metro. As jobs blossom in the Woodlands, the real estate market has also been booming in Montgomery County as people are moving there to be near their job instead of driving back and forth between Montgomery and Harris.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
More than likely it would cause a greater number of people to move to the much cheaper SJ area instead of commuting.
LOL@ much cheaper SJ.

San Jose is actually more expensive than the SF MSA when it comes to median home price, also the worsening daily commute at the MSA borders demonstrates that the commuter numbers continue to increase from SF to SJ.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
LOL@ much cheaper SJ.

San Jose is actually more expensive than the SF MSA when it comes to median home price, also the worsening daily commute at the MSA borders demonstrates that the commuter numbers continue to increase from SF to SJ.
was speaking purely on the core counties.

as for the border county commutes, that goes back to the requirements being from the core counties. How are we to know that the increased traffic are a result of traffic from core counties rather than from somewhere else?

Old 08-09-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
was speaking purely on the core counties.
Well, the core counties of the SF MSA include Alameda and Contra Costa which constitute the majority population of the SF MSA and both of those counties are less expensive than Santa Clara county. So yeah...

Quote:
as for the border county commutes, that goes back to the requirements being from the core counties. How are we to know that the increased traffic are a result of traffic from core counties rather than from somewhere else?
Yes, because San Jose has the fastest growing GDP and is creating jobs at a faster rate than anywhere else in the country right now, indeed the area is attracting people from all over the state, however based on previous commuting patterns as outlined by the previous Census commuter data we can assume and be most assured that the vast majority of the increase in new commuters is from the SF MSA. lol

But traffic is likely to improve since BART is actually expanding into San Jose as we speak.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:38 PM

You may be right, Like I said from the beginning, I am no expert, just giving an opinion purely based on observations

Old 08-09-2012, 02:03 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,716,252 times
In terms of major cities, Detroit, Washington D.C. and Las Vegas.

But at least with D.C., their main employer has a printing press that can be used to print additional money at any time.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:07 PM

908 posts, read 1,824,846 times
I would say Orlando, plagued by low wage service jobs and low wages in general.

Old 02-27-2016, 05:37 PM

242 posts, read 238,461 times
New York, New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City