Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best food truck scene?
Portland 16 11.59%
New York 12 8.70%
Chicago 6 4.35%
Los Angeles 59 42.75%
Austin 8 5.80%
Miami 3 2.17%
Boston 0 0%
DC 6 4.35%
Houston 10 7.25%
Other (please specify) 18 13.04%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 01:56 PM

485 posts, read 868,373 times

Advertisements

Sorry folks, it's LA. The modern incarnation of the food truck (and using social media, i.e. Twitter, to announce its locations) was born in LA (credited to the Kogi truck) and started a new wave of food trucks that has since spread across the country. And LA probably still has the widest array of food trucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 02:07 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,109,944 times
They finally did away with Chicago's silly rule that they couldn't actually cook on the trucks. We only have a few dozen on the streets, but they're expecting that to rise quite a bit now.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:13 PM

934 posts, read 1,433,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
They finally did away with Chicago's silly rule that they couldn't actually cook on the trucks. We only have a few dozen on the streets, but they're expecting that to rise quite a bit now.
That's good news. I think that will add a nice touch to downtown Chicago.

Surprisingly Indianapolis has a decent food truck scene, especially on Wednesdays during the Farmers Market. But I imagine that San Francisco, LA and NYC have almost everyone beat.

Food Trucks and Social Media - May 2012 - Indianapolis - YouTube

Last edited by thefallensrvnge; 08-09-2012 at 02:24 PM..

Old 08-09-2012, 02:23 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,766,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Glad to hear it. Couldn't really take that scene seriously until the rule change, things will improve for sure, I hear Chicagoans are enthusiastic about their food trucks.

Philly is definitely missing from this poll....one of the best in the country. I'm pretty surprised I'm the first vote for Austin, though. Most estimates put it at well over 1000+ trucks or trailers, they are literally everywhere. Lots of them are so successful that they turn into brick-and-mortar locations and even expand to other cities (i.e., Torchy's Tacos started as an Austin trailer and has Dallas/Houston locations now). Paul Qui, Top Chef winner, started with a food truck (East Side King). Also have a climate more conducive to year-round alfresco dining than more northern metros. Houston and Dallas have a decent and growing food truck scene but are still far behind Austin. Food truck craze seems to be everywhere, though.

I would also agree that at least the modern food truck craze originated in Los Angeles.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:42 PM

2,964 posts, read 5,436,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Im thinking that's probably where the idea for gourmet food trucks for all came about? From craft services of movie sets.
I remember a long time ago wandering onto one once and checking out a catering truck. I figured it was just some cheapo taco truck, but no. It was like bistro fare with prices to match. Intriguing, but at the time no one had much interest in gourmet foods, including me. I think most people thought if you're gonna pay more than convenience prices you may as well go to a sit down restaurant. I did wonder back then why. Why shouldn't they set up as a mobile venue? Surely there was a market.

Slowly there were more as interest turned to better variety and quality. But it wasn't an idea that exploded quickly. And Kogi wasn't actually the first, but simply the first to deploy Twitter to publicize itself. Then the concept exploded all over the city and nation as a novel outlet for quality food.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:01 AM

443 posts, read 874,736 times
I'd say Portland, because there are so many of them and they're allowed to stay where they are. LA is great too, but pound for pound I think Portland wins.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:06 AM

93 posts, read 157,767 times
There is a mexican-korean fusion going on on some of the food trucks
these last 2 to 3 years the food truck scene has skyrocketed and diversified in LA
persian, japanese, mexican, korean, vegan, indian, filipino, salvadorean, armenian, thai, seafood
you'll even find gourmet trucks, there are some areas in the city where you can find upwards of
15 trucks selling food at the same time all different varieties mostly at night.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:03 AM

66 posts, read 126,816 times
Player (Cleveland food truck scene - Walnut Wednesdays)

I think you forgot one for your list!

Anyways, I think its tough to argue against LA. But there are a lot of quality food trucks out there. SF should be on the list also. They are consistently parked outside of nightlife areas.. YUM!

Old 08-10-2012, 07:35 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,749,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmykem View Post
Sorry folks, it's LA. The modern incarnation of the food truck (and using social media, i.e. Twitter, to announce its locations) was born in LA (credited to the Kogi truck) and started a new wave of food trucks that has since spread across the country. And LA probably still has the widest array of food trucks.
Food trucks have been around alot longer, sorry. They started right after the Civil War and were pretty common throughout the NE US by the end of the 19th Century.

LA has been fundemental in spreading their popularity worldwide, more so then any other city in the US, but the tradition of food trucks is much, much older then even the 1960s.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:24 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,531,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
Food trucks have been around alot longer, sorry. They started right after the Civil War and were pretty common throughout the NE US by the end of the 19th Century.

LA has been fundemental in spreading their popularity worldwide, more so then any other city in the US, but the tradition of food trucks is much, much older then even the 1960s.
Perhaps that is why he stated "the modern incarnation"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City