U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 01:01 PM

31,575 posts, read 53,103,852 times

Advertisements

Here are the Martin Prosperity Institute's top 25 highest-scoring metro areas on the Metro Music Index, which, per Florida, measures "the concentration of musicians and music-related businesses":

The Article: The Geography of America's Music Scenes - Arts & Lifestyle - The Atlantic Cities

1. Nashville-Davidson-Murfreesboro-Franklin, TN
2. New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA
3. Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, CA
4. San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA
5. Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA
6. Las Vegas-Paradise, NV
6. (tie) Portland-Vancouver-Beaverton, OR-WA
8. New Orleans-Metairie-Kenner, LA
9. Rochester, NY
10. Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI
11. Orlando-Kissimmee, FL
12. Austin-Round Rock, TX
13. San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA
14. Pittsburgh, PA
14. (tie) Milwaukee-Waukesha-West Allis, WI
16. Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL
16. (tie) Chicago-Naperville-Joliet, IL-IN-WI
18. Indianapolis-Carmel, IN
19. Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX
20. Denver-Aurora, CO
21. Charlotte-Gastonia-Concord, NC-SC
22. Louisville-Jefferson County, KY-IN
22. Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA
22. (three-way tie) Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL
25. San Antonio, TX

Last edited by 18Montclair; 08-09-2012 at 01:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 01:12 PM

20,344 posts, read 20,421,819 times
neat, whacha got going on up there in Rochester NYers?

Old 08-09-2012, 01:18 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,508,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
neat, whacha got going on up there in Rochester NYers?
Houston didn't make the list chopped up and screw up and Atlanta rank high I guess it is the sign of the times.
Shout out to D-Town for ranking Higher then alot of cities I thought would ranked higher

Old 08-09-2012, 01:45 PM

9,585 posts, read 10,917,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Here are the Martin Prosperity Institute's top 25 highest-scoring metro areas on the Metro Music Index, which, per Florida, measures "the concentration of musicians and music-related businesses":

The Article: The Geography of America's Music Scenes - Arts & Lifestyle - The Atlantic Cities

1. Nashville-Davidson-Murfreesboro-Franklin, TN
2. New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA
3. Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, CA
4. San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA
5. Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA
6. Las Vegas-Paradise, NV
6. (tie) Portland-Vancouver-Beaverton, OR-WA
8. New Orleans-Metairie-Kenner, LA
9. Rochester, NY
10. Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI
11. Orlando-Kissimmee, FL
12. Austin-Round Rock, TX
13. San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA
14. Pittsburgh, PA
14. (tie) Milwaukee-Waukesha-West Allis, WI
16. Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL
16. (tie) Chicago-Naperville-Joliet, IL-IN-WI
18. Indianapolis-Carmel, IN
19. Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX
20. Denver-Aurora, CO
21. Charlotte-Gastonia-Concord, NC-SC
22. Louisville-Jefferson County, KY-IN
22. Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA
22. (three-way tie) Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL
25. San Antonio, TX
DC placed #26 based on GoGo alone basically. That's alot of power for a regional music genre. If you look closer, that's actually low balling the GoGo industry in DC when compared to other cities and their music scene though. GoGo is huge in DC and very few cities have more live bands playing daily than DC and they certainly don't match the attendance.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:40 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,173,847 times
Not at all surprised by the top 3. Nashville has an amazing amount of musicians, especially considering its size. And of course NYC and LA are right up there.

Before seeing this article the other day I had no idea Rochester would be that high.

Atlanta seems really low to me, and Austin seems a little low.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:44 PM

7,238 posts, read 10,468,962 times
I think the OP is ranking and measuring things as it stands today, not historically.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:55 PM

6,881 posts, read 3,613,112 times
Philly doesn't rank? DC ranks below Indianapolis and Charlotte? Pretty ridiculous rankings.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:00 PM

7,238 posts, read 10,468,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheal St. Paul View Post
Its a top city for music currently and historically. And if you don't think so than you really don't know much about music. Who ranked these cities? Scrantx?
I know a lot more about music than your left pinky.

It states the numbers were based on...

"the concentration of musicians and music-related businesses"

Now if you disagree, take it up with the person who did the measure and ranking, not me.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:31 PM

9,585 posts, read 10,917,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Philly doesn't rank? DC ranks below Indianapolis and Charlotte? Pretty ridiculous rankings.
I don't really put too much stock in these rankings to begin with because they are subjective. I use factual data for these types of rankings which is really the only way to compile a ranking like this. DC has more GoGo bands playing revenue generating shows a week than Indianapolis and Charlotte's live weekly revenue producing bands I can guarantee that. You would have to dig for the stats though. I know the bands in DC definetly make more from their weekly shows. Charging $20-$50 covers will do that.

Another major factor whether good or not is that GoGo bands in DC are less likely to report their income to the IRS. There is no way to trace the band members all over the city. It's really astronomical the money that goes into these bands hands nightly when they are playing shows.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 08-09-2012 at 04:47 PM..

Old 08-09-2012, 04:50 PM

10,087 posts, read 12,563,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I don't really put too much stock in these rankings to begin with because they are subjective. I use factual data for these types of rankings which is really the only way to compile a ranking like this. DC has more GoGo bands playing revenue generating shows a week than Indianapolis and Charlotte's live weekly revenue producing bands I can guarantee that. You would have to dig for the stats though. I know the bands in DC definetly make more from their weekly shows. Charging $20-$50 covers will do that.

Another major factor whether good or not is that GoGo bands in DC are less likely to report their income to the IRS. There is no way to trace the band members all over the city. It's really astronomical the money that goes into these bands hands nightly when they are playing shows.
DC is also a huge wellspring of hardcore / punk music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City