Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 12:46 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,783,033 times

Advertisements

Yea it is always funny when someone tries to do some sort of calculation that is not based on any sort of rationality (as Sav858-a Californian pointed out), even as far as intent goes. Quite amusing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 12:50 PM

36,657 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post
This is interesting. The nerd in me simply likes doing these kinds of comparisons. I have a question for you real estate aficionados.
Can this information be used to obtain an estimated value of a Metro? I.E. What is the cost to buy-in and what is a Metro is worth?

For example, if the Bay averages let’s estimate for ease $600,000 per unit and has 7.4 Million people, we can make reasonable assumptions. At an average family size of 2.6 people, we have 2.85 Million Units. At $600,000 per unit, that’s $1.707 Trillion dollars of Real Estate that the people in the Bay have invested in their homes. Total buy-in of the area.

I do the same for the Los Angeles, let’s just say Greater LA is 18 Million people and let’s just assume an average of $250,000 per unit. LA is worth $1.731 Trillion in single family homes.

Do the same for 9.7 Million in Chicagoland, at 187K per unit, and it’s only worth 676 Billion, a mere fraction of the Bay and LA.
The whole tri-state area gets to $3.2 Trillion for reference. Feel free to try this with other metros.

[Perhaps a more technical person like Danny or Lifeshadower can assist, or point out where I went wrong, but it looks like LA and the Bay are practically worth the same. And when you plug in a comparable metro, Chicago, and it drops to just a fraction.

Crazy right?!? Any thoughts?

There is a Census Bureau stat which measures the total aggregate value of all housing units and only 3 areas, NY, LA and SF are over $1 Trillion. DC comes next and then everywhere else.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:19 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Now would be a good time to buy in Atlanta.
It would never be a good time to buy in Atlanta.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:10 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,571,939 times
What's the median income in the Bay Area? Less than $100k with an average home price of over $600k? How many people that live there can actually afford to buy a home?

Old 08-10-2012, 02:38 PM

36,657 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
What's the median income in the Bay Area? Less than $100k with an average home price of over $600k? How many people that live there can actually afford to buy a home?
Well, according to the Census Bureau, 974,000 households in the Bay Area earn $100,000+ annually and considering there are only about 6-7 thousand single family homes for sale at any time in the Bay Area at any given time, its no wonder that competition is pretty fierce.

Also about 300,000 households earn $200,000 a year so actually many households can afford the homes currently for sale and that's why the market is booming. Limited supply and increased demand with the improving ecomomy.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:07 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,190,713 times
Some cities seem WAY too expensive to live in lately:

Denver (It's essentially the Plains and there's not a huge scarcity of developable land. Why so expensive?)
Austin (very expensive for Texas, and just expensive in general. I thought the big draw to the area was affordability?)
San Diego (I get it, there's an ocean. Do jobs pay enough to cover this cost in SD? I don't hear much about that.)
Milwaukee (higher than Minneapolis AND Chicago -- why?)

On the other hand, some places seem incredibly cheap considering the cost of living and avg. salary for white-collar jobs (like Atlanta).

Old 08-10-2012, 03:12 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,190,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Short answer is no, this a median, meaning half are more and half are less (in theory 49% in LA could be over 10 Million and still have a median at this rate). So in simple terms an average would be a better marker. Your calculation assumes normal distributions between the areas.

What you can do is use housing units times average to get your number
It also assumes that every homeowner owns their home outright, which becomes further and further from the truth when as the value of the home increases. Most people own like 30% or less of the principal value of their home. I wonder how those percentages change depending on the median home price (or IF they change at all)?

Old 08-10-2012, 03:23 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
San Diego (I get it, there's an ocean. Do jobs pay enough to cover this cost in SD? I don't hear much about that.)
Not really, that's why SD can still be very expensive even though compared to the Bay Area housing costs are significnatly lower; the salaries are less in line with the COL. People call it the "sunshine tax" and it's one of the biggest gripes about the area people have.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:03 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Quote:

Denver (It's essentially the Plains and there's not a huge scarcity of developable land. Why so expensive?)
Austin (very expensive for Texas, and just expensive in general. I thought the big draw to the area was affordability?)

On the other hand, some places seem incredibly cheap considering the cost of living and avg. salary for white-collar jobs (like Atlanta).
Austin has a higher percentage of Government, Tech, Professional and Educational jobs than the rest of the state.

Its average hourly wage is $22.18 an hr (which is second to only Houston in the State).

Anyway, the bulk of homes in Austin sold last year sold for less than 300K. About half of the distribution of sales falls between 100k and 300K. So I guess a median of 219K is accurate in this instance. It might not be that Austin is high it may be that using median value for places like Chicago gives a low ball. Houston for example,, has a wider distribution than Austin, having the bulk of its homes sell for between 100k and 400K.

Using the mean, Austin value is even higher than the median -251.7k in 2011 (The mean for Houston was 250K due to the wider distribution, it got a mean closer to Austins)

What I did notice was that in 2007 Austin had 12,100 building permits for single family homes (Houston is only 3 times as large as Austin yet 4 times as many permits were issued in 2007) and a mean value of these permits at $170K. In 2011 the permits had dropped by half to 6,200 permits at a mean value of 180K. The value jumped as far less homes were being built.

For the City of Austin the median Home price for the 4th quarter of 2011 was 183K. I guess under building drives up demand. Combined that with a more professional workforce allows Austin to have a higher than normal median home value for single family homes.

Source: Texas Market Reports -- Real Estate Center at Texas A&M University

Old 08-10-2012, 05:16 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times
Quote:

Yes, to some people, the natural beauty surrounding the city is a MAJOR part in their decisions to move there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City