Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 12:47 PM

9 posts, read 22,673 times

Advertisements

I would think the people in Princeton would be more standoff because of urban NE culture and Chapel Hill would have more southern hospitality. True?

Last edited by internal-logic; 08-12-2012 at 01:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 02:12 PM

126 posts, read 296,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I'm not sure what the implied difference between "town" and "community" is here.

"Princeton" is composed of two municipalities that are currently in the process of merging. Residents voted last year by referendum to merge the municipalities in hope that it'll cut administrative costs. I'm not sure whether the merged municipality will be defined legally as a city, town, borough, township, etc. And the wikipedia contributor may not be sure either, hence use of the word "community" for now.
Princeton does not meet the standards to me called a "town/city".

Old 08-12-2012, 02:58 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,872,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagrown View Post
Yes, I have been to Princeton. According to Wikipedia, Princeton is a community and you cam obviously tell that when you drive through there compared to Chapel Hill. I was also saying Chapel Hill is closer to the nearest largest city than Princeton... regardless of how close it is to Manhattan and Philadelphia.

Actually, you're wrong, Princeton has not been rated the number one University in the US.
US News just rated Princeton number1 , tied with Harvard.

What is the large city near Chapil Hill? Surely, you can't be alluding to Raleigh?

Old 08-12-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
US News just rated Princeton number1 , tied with Harvard.

What is the large city near Chapil Hill? Surely, you can't be alluding to Raleigh?
Obviously I am. I'm not bashing Princeton, I'm saying Chapel Hill is larger.

Top 15 Universities in the USA:

1. Harvard University
2.University of Virginia
3. University of Michigan
4. Cornell University
5. University of Washington
6. Stanford University
7. University of Wisconsin-Madison
8. University of Florida
9. Yale University
10. Duke University
11. The University of Arizona
12. Columbia University
13.The University of Utah
14. Princeton University
15. USC – University of Southern California

http://www.happyschoolsblog.com/top-...sities-in-usa/

Although UNC Chapel Hill isn't in the top 15, Chapel Hill and the surrounding area has a better choice of schools to go to.
Also, hence Duke being ahead of Princeton.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:02 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,872,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagrown View Post
Obviously I am. I'm not bashing Princeton, I'm saying Chapel Hill is larger.

Top 15 Universities in the USA:

1. Harvard University
2.University of Virginia
3. University of Michigan
4. Cornell University
5. University of Washington
6. Stanford University
7. University of Wisconsin-Madison
8. University of Florida
9. Yale University
10. Duke University
11. The University of Arizona
12. Columbia University
13.The University of Utah
14. Princeton University
15. USC – University of Southern California

Top 100 Universities in USA and Top Colleges

Although UNC Chapel Hill isn't in the top 15, Chapel Hill and the surrounding area has a better choice of schools to go to.
Also, hence Duke being ahead of Princeton.
Look, I agree that CH is a nice college town and UNC is fantastic, but that list that you posted is a joke.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:06 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,090,990 times
Right. State schools like Florida, Arizona, and Utah ranked ahead of Princeton? That's just total nonsense.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:53 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,302,450 times
Although the methodology, pasted below, is ill-defined, it is based on Google searches.

Quote:
Top 100 Universities in USA – Ranking
If you search in google for the keyword University, you will find above top 100 universities – schools listed. Google used its search algorithm to rank the universities. There were few other universities (like 5), which I have not included in the above list. Don’t you think its interesting to see MIT is not in the list? Think about it.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:52 AM

93,239 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I'm not sure what the implied difference between "town" and "community" is here.

"Princeton" is composed of two municipalities that are currently in the process of merging. Residents voted last year by referendum to merge the municipalities in hope that it'll cut administrative costs. I'm not sure whether the merged municipality will be defined legally as a city, town, borough, township, etc. And the wikipedia contributor may not be sure either, hence use of the word "community" for now.
Exactly, as there was a Borough of Princeton and Princeton Township. It is similar to places in NY State that have a village of and a town of with the same name(i.e.-Hamilton which is where Colgate University is located. Sometimes it may be a city of and a town of, like Ithaca has, for example.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:25 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
I have to be honest the towns seem similar in size to me. in terms of nearby most of NJ feels at least as developed as the whole RDU area not to mention both Philly and NYC nearby

I like both towns based on my experience, neither feels particularly large and both are very charming and dominated by the university.

Palmer Square, Princeton, NJ - Property Video - YouTube

A Tour of Princeton - YouTube

To the OP. CH and the area are likely less expensie so be sure to factor that in. After that to me it becomes down to the personal choice. The better job option may be the decider

Bets of luck

Old 08-13-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Look, I agree that CH is a nice college town and UNC is fantastic, but that list that you posted is a joke.
I also didn't create the list, so calm down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City