Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 06:41 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,397,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Street View Post
Weekday EL ridership is around 650,000, and weekday Metra ridership is about 230,000, so no. That is not particularly high rail ridership for a region approaching 10 million residents. Chicago has significantly lower transit share than Boston, San Francisco and DC (and, of course, NYC).

Again, no. Weekday bus ridership is well under 1 million boardings. Chicago has half the weekday bus ridership of LA, and one-fifth the weekday bus ridership of NYC, though certainly population plays a role in these numbers.
All those data are from here:

List of United States rapid transit systems by ridership - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And here:

List of United States commuter rail systems by ridership - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And here:

List of United States local bus agencies by ridership - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you don't like the numbers, you can complain to Wiki and their sources...but these numbers don't support your number arguments.

Last edited by Maintainschaos; 08-16-2012 at 07:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 07:28 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,389,286 times
Quote:
Weekday EL ridership is around 650,000, and weekday Metra ridership is about 230,000, so no. That is not particularly high rail ridership for a region approaching 10 million residents. Chicago has significantly lower transit share than Boston, San Francisco and DC (and, of course, NYC).

Again, no. Weekday bus ridership is well under 1 million boardings. Chicago has half the weekday bus ridership of LA, and one-fifth the weekday bus ridership of NYC, though certainly population plays a role in these numbers.
Your numbers are low.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:32 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Quote:

Source please?

Old 08-16-2012, 02:54 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Quote:

Where are you getting those numbers??

Chicago's weekday ridership on the L is 750,000 not 650,000.

The weekday ridership on Metra is 305,000 not 230,000.

The weekday bus ridership on CTA is 1,002,000 not "well under 1 million boardings".

LA's buses deliver 1,142,000 riders per weekday. Chicago has 88% of that total, not "half".

CTA's buses deliver around 40% of the ridership of NYC, not 20%.

Just look in the CTA monthly ridership or APTA national quarterly reports.

Someone else questioned CTA having a fairly low ridership for being a large city - a lot of it has to do with the 155 bus routes in the city. They deliver many more rides than the trains because there's such a dense network. Hence you've got bus ridership of less than 400,000 in Boston, 450,000 in Washington DC, less than 300,000 in San Fran and 575,000 in Philly but over 1,000,000 in Chicago. Buses really offset here for a lot of local rides.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:59 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Love Chicago...don't love Boston. Chicago wins this one easily.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:51 PM

504 posts, read 615,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Just to be clear, Boston *doesn't* have a higher ridership, it has a higher percentage of the population that take public transportation. Total ridership is higher for Chicago on the subway, bus lines, and commuter rail compared to Boston:

List of United States rapid transit systems by ridership - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of United States local bus agencies by ridership - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of United States commuter rail systems by ridership - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Average ridership for the three systems combined is ~ 2.01 million per day in Chicago compared to ~ 0.93 million per day in Boston.
You would also need to link the light rail page becasue the green line and an extension of the red line are light rail and the green line has the second highest ridership.
List of United States light rail systems by ridership - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-20-2012, 02:42 PM

300 posts, read 524,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Someone else questioned CTA having a fairly low ridership for being a large city - a lot of it has to do with the 155 bus routes in the city. They deliver many more rides than the trains because there's such a dense network. Hence you've got bus ridership of less than 400,000 in Boston, 450,000 in Washington DC, less than 300,000 in San Fran and 575,000 in Philly but over 1,000,000 in Chicago. Buses really offset here for a lot of local rides.
Boston, Washington DC, San Francisco and Philly have significant suburban bus agencies. Chicago doesn't. CTA is, by far, the dominant bus agency in Chicagoland. In contrast, SF has Non-MUNI bus riders than MUNI bus riders. You can't compare the regions without comparing all the major bus agencies.

I'm including APTA stats, not Wikipedia stats. And I'm including all transit agencies, not only CTA vs. LA MTA; obviously that isn't a reasonable comparison when one agency has 95% of local bus riders and the other agency has 50% of local bus riders.

I'm also including unlinked transit trips only, so the numbers will be lower than reported by CTA or what-have-you.

I think it's reasonable to say that, relative to population, Chicago has low bus ridership, at least compared to the largest U.S. cities. Certainly NYC and LA have higher proportional bus ridership. The point of all this was that some forumers were saying that Chicago's low rail ridership was offset by high bus ridership.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:10 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,397,087 times
Quote:
Boston, Washington DC, San Francisco and Philly have significant suburban bus agencies. Chicago doesn't. CTA is, by far, the dominant bus agency in Chicagoland. In contrast, SF has Non-MUNI bus riders than MUNI bus riders. You can't compare the regions without comparing all the major bus agencies.

I'm including APTA stats, not Wikipedia stats. And I'm including all transit agencies, not only CTA vs. LA MTA; obviously that isn't a reasonable comparison when one agency has 95% of local bus riders and the other agency has 50% of local bus riders.

I'm also including unlinked transit trips only, so the numbers will be lower than reported by CTA or what-have-you.

I think it's reasonable to say that, relative to population, Chicago has low bus ridership, at least compared to the largest U.S. cities. Certainly NYC and LA have higher proportional bus ridership. The point of all this was that some forumers were saying that Chicago's low rail ridership was offset by high bus ridership.
While CTA is the dominant bus system in the region, there's also PACE, which is very important to the suburbs.

According to the latest APTA figures (http://www.apta.com/resources/statis...preport.aspx):

Average weekday ridership of CTA + PACE: ~ 1.1 million
Average weekday ridership of LA MTA + Long Beach Transit + Orange County Transit + Santa Monica Transit: ~ 1.5 million

I wouldn't call Chicago's percentage of bus patrons low...and it's certainly not half of LA, as you had claimed.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:18 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,307,616 times
Quote:

no its not. PACE bus serves the suburbs not CTA

Old 08-20-2012, 05:55 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,450,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylover94 View Post
You would also need to link the light rail page becasue the green line and an extension of the red line are light rail and the green line has the second highest ridership.
List of United States light rail systems by ridership - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Right, which puts the ridership at roughly 1.3 million...which is definitely impressive given the size. I think Boston's city rail coverage (primarily from the Green Line) is a bit better than that of Chicago. Part of this is obviously due to the smaller size of the city, but it's still covered very well. I do enjoy the EL a lot though. I think it's a great system.

Overall, I think they're more/less tied. They're very close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City