U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2012, 09:13 PM

95 posts, read 170,484 times

Advertisements

Hello from Chicago! In the Chicago forum, some comparisons have been made between Chicago and New York neighborhoods. I'm curious if anyone here is familiar enough with both cities to do that for Boston and Chicago. I'm visiting in the fall, and wanted to get a better feel of the neighborhoods, and thought comparing them to Chicago ones would help.

Thanks! Looking forward to my trip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 09:38 PM

9,045 posts, read 17,317,574 times
Two very different animals. Neighborhoods like the North End, South End, Beacon Hill, and Back Bay are distinctly Bostonian.
Nothing in Boston really resembles Michigan Ave, Lakeview, South Side , etc. Though both share some history of taking in massive late 19th and early 20th century European immigration they are also so different it's hard to match kindred neighborhoods IMO. The only city that really made me think "this reminds me of Boston" is Philadelphia.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:34 PM

86 posts, read 217,656 times
I second that it is really difficult to compare. I am originally from the Boston area, lived in Chicago for a year and a half, and recently moved back, so I am pretty familiar with both cities.

Boston in general is much more compact and on a smaller scale. Many of Boston's neighborhoods used to be their own cities and towns, and are centered on commercial districts or "squares." The total lack of a standardized street grid leads to a much different experience and feel to the city.

That being said, I can attempt a few comparisons:

- The really nice streets in Lakeview/Lincoln Park east of Halsted in Chicago remind me somewhat of the residential portions of the Back Bay in Boston.
- The heart of the Lincoln Square business district in Chicago reminded me of many of the "Squares" in Cambridge/Somerville, but especially Harvard and Davis.
- I visited Roscoe Village once and the feel of it seemed Boston-ish to me for some reason but I can't put my finger on why or where in Boston it would be.
- Ethnically and politically speaking, Bridgeport in Chicago and South Boston seemed to me to have had similar histories, but look very different visually; and South Boston has experienced much more gentrification.
- The area around Fenway Park is not wholly unlike the area around Wrigley Field in terms of there being many restaurants/bars/clubs/etc.

Hope you have a great trip out here this fall.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:25 PM

95 posts, read 170,484 times
Thank you both!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City