Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2012, 06:31 PM

33 posts, read 58,011 times

Advertisements

We are looking forward to our trip to Santa Fe in the fall just as we looked forward to our trip to Sarasota last spring. As we have lived all our lives on the east coast we found Sarasota to be a nice hot resort town on the east coast of the country. We were used to the humidity and the lightning/thunderstorms - but didn't like them any more than we usually do. The beaches were great the constant air conditioning was not. Finding affordable housing can be done especially as you move into town and away from the beach.
There are activities (arts, culture, etc.) and places (library, gardens, etc) to get involved with. Though there is a hospital in town it is not that highly rated - the teaching hospital is in Gainesville.
What do you see as the comparisons between Santa Fe and Sarasota? Has anyone moved between the two areas? And perhaps back again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 12:20 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,801,634 times
Hmm... sort of like comparing Venus vs. Neptune. These two cities couldn't be more different.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 08-18-2012 at 05:32 PM..

Old 08-18-2012, 07:56 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aug79 View Post
What do you see as the comparisons between Santa Fe and Sarasota? Has anyone moved between the two areas? And perhaps back again?
I grew up in Florida, my first visit to New Mexico was 1968, and I lived in New Mexico briefly in 1972 and 1984. We moved to New Mexico the last time in 1998. I still have relatives in Florida.

There is no real comparison between Santa Fe and Sarasota. I could live in either one. Right now we have more kids and grandkids closer the New Mexico. Santa Fe or Sarasota is not for everyone... Personally I prefer not to live in Santa Fe for various reasons, we live 60 miles South for various reasons. My wife and I moved a lot over the years due to employment, we are now retired. We both decided to just stay where we have been since 1998, and travel more often. We both do miss the beaches/ocean on occasion, and there was a time when we stayed away from it intentionally for years...

You really need to visit both, possibly several times...

Population:
Sarasota: 3,539 people per square mile, metropolitan area: 673,035.
Santa Fe: 1,927 people per square mile, metropolitan area: 144,170.
Elevation:
Sarasota: 16 feet above sea level
Santa Fe: 7,260 feet above sea level (highest location in Florida is 345 feet)
Climate:
Sarasota: Sarasota has a humid subtropical climate, with hot summers, mild winters, and high humidity year-round. There are distinct rainy and dry seasons in Sarasota, with the rainy season lasting from June to September, and the dry season from October to May. The record high is 100 °F and the record low is 20 °F.

Santa Fe: Santa Fe belongs to the semi-arid climate zone with chilly winters, and hot summers. The record high is 100 °F and the record low is -18 °F. The 24-hour average temperature in the city ranges from 29.3 °F in January to 69.8 °F in July. Evenings are much cooler than afternoons due to the aridity and elevation, with most days of the year averaging above a 30 °F difference between the high and low. Snowfall is typically light, and due to the high elevation and low latitude, snow does not linger on the ground for long. The city usually receives 6 to 8 snowfalls a year between November and April. Heaviest rainfall occurs in July and August.
Races:
Sarasota:

White alone - 34,052 (65.6%)
Hispanic - 8,634 (16.6%)
Black alone - 7,558 (14.6%)
Two or more races - 765 (1.5%)
Asian alone - 676 (1.3%)
American Indian alone - 118 (0.2%)
Other race alone - 99 (0.2%)
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone - 15 (0.03%)

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Saraso...#ixzz23x8AHPKN

Santa Fe:

Hispanic - 33,089 (48.7%)
White alone - 31,412 (46.2%)
Asian alone - 927 (1.4%)
American Indian alone - 891 (1.3%)
Two or more races - 891 (1.3%)
Black alone - 530 (0.8%)
Other race alone - 182 (0.3%)
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone - 25 (0.04%)

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Santa-...#ixzz23x7fTtWQ

Old 08-18-2012, 08:26 PM

295 posts, read 591,688 times
This is an odd comparison. All I know about either is:

Santa Fe has dry air, Sarasota is humid.

Santa Fe has winters, Sarasota...... has palm trees

Old 08-19-2012, 07:30 PM

10 posts, read 17,898 times
I grew up in NM and currently live in Phoenix. So I can provide some insight on what to expect from a native and visitor insight.

1.) You can not recreate a 400 year old city, most who are there enjoy that and are to a degree are educated about the city, history and culture around it.

2.) Very strong native american and "spanish" background. The connection to spain is very strong in N. New Mexico compared to S New Mexico which tends to connect stronger to Mexico. I grew up in Las Cruces which is 50 miles north of the border and I consider myself "mexican". I have noticed when I lived up in Albuquerque I was corrected that I was "Spanish". I take that a just pride in ones culture and took no offense.

3.) Has the highest amount of Ph. D per capita of anywhere in the country is in Santa Fe. There are lots of outsiders, and it has a impact on dynamics of the city both in a positive and negative ways.

4.) One of the highest amount of artists and art galleries on the country. Art drives this city.

6.) The culture in the city embraces the high amount of same sex relationships and has the largest per capita population outside of San Fran.

5.) City Natives vs. Those transplant there. How to sum this up... See the stars below.
* Many people love this city and move here and are amazed how "cheap" homes are compared to where they moved from. This allows people to snatch up many homes and thus raise taxes and home prices.

* You will see that the average wage vs home price there is a huge gap. Santa Fe is not a cheap place to live by any means, I compare the expense to that a scottsdale AZ. So this impacts the native Santa Fean population who many not have ever left the state or have the types of education, jobs that "outsiders" may have been privy to. By driving up home prices and taxes have caused the city limits to have a very high min wage, the the companies move outside of the city limits to not have to pay the higher wage thus leaving those who take those jobs in a lose lose situation. The culture in this city is very strong and is part of the culture to stay near family. (Please don't simplify to the go get an education and a good paying job argument)

* Books: This may not be noticed by many but I am very aware due to my family & culture the history of my state and the surrounding cultures. But many read books and feel books are the only "FACT". I have been corrected by many who move there of what really happened or what went on. I take that as passion to learn about the city, but it offends many.

Here are some tips:
1.) The entire state is at a slower pace. Nothing in going to change that and with native NM pride I will call it the "land of mañana". What we can not do today we will do tomorrow.

2.) Never talk crap about the state, city, people, etc. New Mexicans have a odd bond that I picked up while living in PHX and working in NM. I never would have picked it up living only their or just visiting. Here is the example. If a Santa Fean starts to complain about something just listen and say nothing. If you say something and are an outsider you will get a cold shoulder so quick. The conversation tone will quickly shift.

3.) The NM people may not have the most materials things, but they have their culture, their language, food, and pride. Tread carefully and show respect and they will embrace you with open arms.

4.) The entire state is a good ole boy club, and everyone know everybody.

Long post but hope some of this helps

Old 08-20-2012, 09:12 AM

1 posts, read 2,789 times
Default You said it!

"You can not recreate a 400 year old city, most who are there enjoy that and are to a degree are educated about the city, history and culture around it."

That's a great way to put it, Chavest. I'd say, books or no, your summary is a fantastic one. Santa Fe has so much history, culture, art, as well as some incredible scenery, and a National Park to play in. If you need more information about what to do here, be sure to check out Santa Fe Convention and Visitors Bureau: santafe.org.

We hope you enjoy your visit, Aug79! Santa Fe is truly one of a kind!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City