U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 06:44 PM

478 posts, read 617,886 times

Advertisements

What's your favorite between the northern, central, and southern Appalachians? Why?

I would go with the northern Appalachians personally, although it's not an easy call. The southern apps have really amazing forest types in the Great Smoky Mountains, arguably more distinctive local culture, and are physically larger in general; however here's why I pick the northern Appalachians:

--The above timberline areas are unique in the range, offering amazing views and barren-ground landscapes not found elsewhere in the eastern US.

--GSMNP is pretty well preserved, but the northern Appalachians to me seem wilder overall. It's easier to find solitude and really isolated areas. Geologically the Adirondacks may not be part of the Appalachians, but I'm thinking of them here too: I don't know of any parts of the southern Appalachians as remote as central Hamilton county NY; northwoods NH or wide swaths of western/central Maine.

--Climate. The weather is harsher up north, but I enjoy the 'elemental' feel of the climate in the higher parts of New England and upstate NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 11:15 AM

3,057 posts, read 5,235,803 times
I will go with the northern Appalachians also. Mostly because I am a huge fan of the northwoods environment up there in northern New England. Including the fall foliage that is second to none.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:50 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,740 posts, read 39,621,992 times
Here's New Hampshire:

Old 08-20-2012, 02:54 PM

12,994 posts, read 17,117,737 times
The northern Appalachians are "home" to me. They were always more industrialized and had a Catholic plurality (if not a majority), and the degree of social ills like poverty, obesity, drug abuse, teen pregnancy, STDs, and low educational attainment have never been as bad as they are in the central and southern Appalachians, regardless of how similar the regions look.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:01 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,740 posts, read 39,621,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
The northern Appalachians are "home" to me. They were always more industrialized and had a Catholic plurality (if not a majority), and the degree of social ills like poverty, obesity, drug abuse, teen pregnancy, STDs, and low educational attainment have never been as bad as they are in the central and southern Appalachians, regardless of how similar the regions look.
I assume you're referring to Pennyslvania by the northern Appalachians rather than New England?

Old 08-21-2012, 01:15 AM

12,994 posts, read 17,117,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I assume you're referring to Pennyslvania by the northern Appalachians rather than New England?
Yes...because it is.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:06 AM

478 posts, read 617,886 times
I've always thought of MD, PA, NJ, southern NY as central more than northern Appalachians, although if I had to pick a side I'd call them northern. Their terrain, forest types, and culture are distinct from what you'd find in New England.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:57 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,130,167 times
I'd go with the Southern Appalachians. Love the Great Smokies and Blue Ridge.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:49 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,112,959 times
I travel to both regions on a weekly basis. I would have to go with the Southern Appalachians. There are just more mountains with 5-6,000 ft peak ranges. When you travel south on I-26 towards Asheville,NC in a steep decent you can get a birds eye view of both Smokey and Blue Ridge Mountain ranges at those peaks as far as the eye can see. It's so over whelming but out of this world. Out of all the mountain ranges I've been to personally in the Northeast I would have to go with New York's Andirondacks due to having a larger concentration of higher peaks. It's the closest thing that reminds me of the Southern Appalachians. The Catskills are pretty nice as I once stayed at a friends near there. My favorite peak is Mt Mitchell near Asheville,NC which is the highest of all peaks in the entire Appalachian chain even higher than Smokey's Clingmans Dome or Mt Washington in NH. It's the highest peak east of the Mississippi. The next peak higher than Mt Mitchell west of the Mississippi would be Emory Peak 7,825ft located in Big Ben National Park in east Texas as you head west then South Dakota's Harney Peak in the Black Hills. It was 89 degrees in Asheville that day but once I reach the top summit of Mt Mitchell the thermostat showed 57 degrees. It was cool enough you had to wear something warmer. The Blue Ridge Mountains are cooler in the higher elevations especially at night. I have some photos I will post later but right now I have to go to Pittsburgh today on my way to Indy tonight. The ride along the PA Turnpike is cool with the 4 long tunnels (the Allegheny, Tuscarora, Kittany, Blue Mountain off the top of my head) through the Allegheny Mountains. I travel many states everyday. The entire Appalachian chain offers me great viewing pleasure while on the road. I love the mountains.

This is just only one photo shot along the Blue Ridge Parkway. I'll post more later

Last edited by urbanologist; 08-24-2012 at 10:01 AM..

Old 08-24-2012, 10:10 AM

9,972 posts, read 14,017,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Here's New Hampshire:
Great photos. Sort of remind me of the Scottish Highlands. I like that there's some real true alpine terrain in the White Mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or