Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2012, 06:38 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times

Advertisements

At a tourist, Midtown is probably one of the least interesting parts of Manhattan IMO. Except for a few good attractions (Grand Central, MSG, Empire State, Rockafellar Center, etc.) it came off as mostly a bunch of chain stores and office buildings. Although it does have plenty go good areas to eat and go out to drink, I found other areas of Manhattan way more interesting. My hotel was in Midtown but we rarely hung out in the area. Also there is almost too many people out in that area and many of them are just a bunch of business suits, it's a massive business district of course so that is to be expected but just saying. Next I go I hope I don't end up staying in Midtown again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 06:41 PM

886 posts, read 1,563,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
I think we have the REAL culprits: New Yorkers.

I really wish some of these conversations were face to face.
Everything I've said in this thread I would say face to face too.

Getting back to the topic for a moment, if anyone ever told me to my face they think NYC and LA make Chicago look like a "big town" I would tell them they're a retard. Chicago from the Loop all the way to Edgewater (like 20 miles) is the most impressive stretch of "big city" in the country behind NYC.

If Chicago feels like a big town, then America is full of only big towns and no cities. Simple as that.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:43 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Agreed. The above statement was this guy from USC's thesis. It was posted online, and after reading it I have to agree with this logic. It's not the first time I've posted it, but here it is: http://spatial.usc.edu/wp-content/up...esis_Final.pdf
Thanks for posting. Interesting read.

2.5.2 A center is revealed, for those who choose to see it
Almost every study of urban structure in Los Angeles finds a tightly-spaced,
nearly-contiguous group of subcenters arranged in an arc along the base of the Santa
Monica Mountains from the ocean to Downtown Los Angeles (the arbitrary CBD). These
subcenters individually are consistently among the strongest of the region, and sometimes
are separated from each other not by discontinuity but by the study author’s assumption
that a center so large in area is preposterous on its face, or at least not a useful analysis
result (Giuliano & Small, 1991, p.167). Thus the supposed lack of centrality in Los
Angeles is actually merely an unwillingness to accept the singular center that could be
formed by the potential combination of these arc-aligned subcenters. There are a few
studies which have taken the step, if only as a side note, to explore the ramifications of
combining this arc into a single center. When they do, they find a center which once
again dominates the surrounding urban landscape. But they generally choose to ignore it,
concluding not that this dominant center exists but rather that their delimitation method
requires further refinement (Giuliano & Small, 1991).

I think I’ll mercilessly flog this statement whenever somebody claims LA lacks a center. I’ll present it reflexively, devoid of any context and, of course, without any desire or ability to produce its author for clarification. I can't be bargained with. I can't be reasoned with. I don’t feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And I absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:46 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,414,249 times
Midtown Manhattan is located between 34th and 59th streets. You can go as low as 23rd street if you want to be generous. Most of what people think of when they think of New York City is found in this area. Why deny it? Yes, downtown and Brooklyn have nice neighborhoods. Yes, there are other job centers. But the dominant one, without question is Midtown. Even if you say that the center of energy in NYC is everything south of 59th street, that's still only 10 sq miles.

Btw fitzrovian, that area in Japan comes out to 37.8 sq miles. The area bordered by DTLA to the East, the Pacific Ocean to the West, Wilshire Boulevard to the South and the Hollywood Hills to the East is roughly 60 sq miles. Not only are largest concentration of jobs found in this area, most of what everyone thinks of when they think Southern California is found here too. If L.A. is to expand its transit, it should look to Tokyo as a guide. It does in fact, have a heart, albeit a rather large one.

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 08-24-2012 at 07:00 PM..

Old 08-24-2012, 06:50 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
lol

Old 08-24-2012, 06:57 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,989,552 times
LA 291
DC 232
NYC 164
Chicago 126
San Francisco 78

Want to guess what these numbers represent?

Old 08-24-2012, 07:00 PM

425 posts, read 371,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaxtor121 View Post
getting back to the topic for a moment, if anyone ever told me to my face they think nyc and la make chicago look like a "big town" i would tell them they're a retard. Chicago from the loop all the way to edgewater (like 20 miles) is the most impressive stretch of "big city" in the country behind nyc.

If chicago feels like a big town, then america is full of only big towns and no cities. Simple as that.

Thats not 20 miles, its about half, but I agree. It could go further than that actually.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:02 PM

886 posts, read 1,563,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resuelppA View Post
qft.
What's QFT?

I could see the argument all the way to Evanston which is what I was originally thinking. My bad lol.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:05 PM

578 posts, read 1,092,566 times
Living in Chicago I never "wonder" about LA. I embrace my solid Midwestern town and my solid Midwestern roots. I don't have time in my lovely frenetic enough world to concern myself with things that are so unimportant. But it's lovely you like your community so much.

Last edited by deliz; 08-24-2012 at 07:06 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 08-24-2012, 07:07 PM

425 posts, read 371,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
What's QFT?

I could see the argument all the way to Evanston which is what I was originally thinking. My bad lol.

Quoted for truth.

Yeah Evanston is actually what I thought you meant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City