Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 10:49 PM

649 posts, read 1,423,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slevin Kelevra View Post
DC is a major market, top 5 or 6.

Atlanta and Salt Lake City are middle market cities which are desirable if you fit the demographic that actually wants to live in that particular city.

You just proved you know nothing about Atlanta. DC and Atlanta switch back and fourth as the top 8 or 9 markets. Dallas is actually number 5 and San Fran is 6. You need to climb from under that rock you been under since the 60's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 10:47 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgNCATL View Post
You just proved you know nothing about Atlanta. DC and Atlanta switch back and fourth as the top 8 or 9 markets. Dallas is actually number 5 and San Fran is 6. You need to climb from under that rock you been under since the 60's.

I think he was talking about CSA. Remember, Atlanta is an island with nothing around it for hundreds of miles. The entire DC/Baltimore CSA can fit into Atlanta's MSA land mass and we are talking close to 9 million people.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:57 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgirl30 View Post
Hi

Anyone have any experience in any of these cities, particularly going to Salt Lake City from the East Coast. I am considering some positions in Salt Lake City and DC, however my boyfriend is considering a position in Atlanta.

Overall, I love the idea of living Salt Lake City to have access to the outdoors and be out west. That's ultimately the type of place I want to end up. However, I still want to have a good restaurant scene and some nightlife.

Anyone have any experiences they could share?
Do you like to ski and hike? If so you'll love Salt Lake City--the skiing for one is the best in the country for so close to a medium-sized city. If you don't like exploring the mountains and outdoors, Salt Lake City will seem a little boring. The restaurant/cultural scene is better than it used to be and the nightlife is better as it's gotten slightly a little more liberal after some of the more draconian liquor laws have been loosened. There's stuff to do, music to check out, a few sort of nice, hip neighborhoods and so on...but it's still a small city environment. It's not like the rest of Utah though--it's an oasis compared to the suburbs and rural areas or even compared to Provo or Ogden. The only other place in Utah that feels a little more liberal is Park City--which is a fun place to ski or go to bars.

I'd live in Salt Lake because I'm a skier and climber--but I can see how people used to the East Coast or even parts of the Southeast or West Coast might feel a little isolated out there. But if you love the mountains--not a bad place to be.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:01 AM

27,559 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Some examples of outdoor activities near D.C.:

- Boating and kayaking on the Potomac

- Hiking in many parks and near small lakes in the metro area

- Rock climbing and camping 1 hour to the west in Shenandoah National Park

- Skiing 2 hours to the north in southern Pennsylvania

- Sailing 45 minutes to the east on the Chesapeake Bay

- Surfing, jet skiing, parasailing, etc., 2 and half to 3 hours to the east on the Eastern shore

- Plane rides, skydiving, balloon rides in Maryland and Virginia

Old 08-24-2012, 12:38 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I think he was talking about CSA. Remember, Atlanta is an island with nothing around it for hundreds of miles. The entire DC/Baltimore CSA can fit into Atlanta's MSA land mass and we are talking close to 9 million people.
You may be right, but that still doesn't mean that Atlanta is a "middle market" and closer to the size of SLC, as Slevin Kelevra posted previously.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:00 AM

101 posts, read 175,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Do you like to ski and hike? If so you'll love Salt Lake City--the skiing for one is the best in the country for so close to a medium-sized city. If you don't like exploring the mountains and outdoors, Salt Lake City will seem a little boring. The restaurant/cultural scene is better than it used to be and the nightlife is better as it's gotten slightly a little more liberal after some of the more draconian liquor laws have been loosened. There's stuff to do, music to check out, a few sort of nice, hip neighborhoods and so on...but it's still a small city environment. It's not like the rest of Utah though--it's an oasis compared to the suburbs and rural areas or even compared to Provo or Ogden. The only other place in Utah that feels a little more liberal is Park City--which is a fun place to ski or go to bars.

I'd live in Salt Lake because I'm a skier and climber--but I can see how people used to the East Coast or even parts of the Southeast or West Coast might feel a little isolated out there. But if you love the mountains--not a bad place to be.
Yes, I do. I also want to get off the East Coast. Okay so now DC is out of the picture because the job there didn't work out!

Old 08-25-2012, 11:05 PM

811 posts, read 1,054,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
You may be right, but that still doesn't mean that Atlanta is a "middle market" and closer to the size of SLC, as Slevin Kelevra posted previously.
Metro DC is obviously a smaller looking metro than Atlanta.

-Atlanta is much more physically expansive in developed area.
-Atlanta has a superior skyline.

DC does have dense development within the district.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:41 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgirl30 View Post
Yes, I do. I also want to get off the East Coast. Okay so now DC is out of the picture because the job there didn't work out!
If you want to get off of the East Coast then there really is only one choice between these three...

Old 08-26-2012, 11:09 AM

1,185 posts, read 2,220,319 times
D.c and atlanta trump slc. Plus. Although not as close to atlanta and d.c as are mountains to slc, atlanta and d.c have the applacians, coasts and islands. I think with factors most people want when they move d.c is the best followed by atlantanad not too far behind woukd be slc

Old 08-27-2012, 02:36 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
Metro DC is obviously a smaller looking metro than Atlanta.

-Atlanta is much more physically expansive in developed area.
-Atlanta has a superior skyline.

DC does have dense development within the district.
Huh? Don't think so? What's Atlanta's answer for Tyson's Corner, Bethesda, Silver Spring, Rosslyn, Crystal City, Old Town, Ballston, etc... Just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City