Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2012, 12:09 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,364,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Whats LA's, I know with the mountians and LAX as well as the port its probably around 15K.
L.A. was calculated at 16,964. That's for 3.8 million people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
where are getting weighted density? Also weighted desnity is basically the median at which people live. There is an additional gradient factor that shows demonstrates the high/low/consistency
Rival site. I think it's an excellent way of calculating what the density the average resident lives in.

The only problem (as always) is comparing two cities where the physical sizes are totally different. You can compare DC to Boston and Long Beach because they are more or less the same, but L.A. is 469 sq miles, home to nearly 4 million people. That L.A. manages to have a similar density to much smaller DC despite this size handicap is very telling.

Btw Philly was calculated at 20,283 ppsm. Significantly denser than DC despite absorbing twice the land area.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
DC compared to Mexico City:

Calling Mexico City a dump is appalling. It is arguably the most impressive city architecturally in North America. An absolute monster.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:29 PM

10,084 posts, read 15,777,284 times
Here are the two zip codes, 90057 in LA and 20001 in DC.

http://www.city-data.com/zips/90057.html

http://www.city-data.com/zips/20001.html

20001 has a population of 47,699 in 2.6 square miles for density of 18,557 ppsm and a household size of 2.0 people.

90057 has a population of 38,087 (down 5k from 2000) in .9 square miles for a density of 43,147 ppsm and a household size of 2.9 people.

Yes LA is more crowded but as you can see overcrowding is not why LA is significantly denser than Washington DC.

The LA Zip has MacArthur Park in it so no complaining about parks skewing the density!

Old 08-24-2012, 12:30 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,716,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Rival site. I think it's an excellent way of calculating what the density the average resident lives in.

The only problem (as always) is comparing two cities where the physical sizes are totally different. You can compare DC to Boston and Long Beach because they are more or less the same, but L.A. is 469 sq miles, home to nearly 4 million people. That L.A. manages to have a similar density to much smaller DC despite this size handicap is very telling.

Btw Philly was calculated at 20,283 ppsm. Significantly denser than DC despite absorbing twice the land area.

makes sense to me on Philly as this would be the typical nabe of rowhomes which dominates the nabes and stock of Philly

On DC and LA - I am not totally surprised. Rememeber DC developed much later when compared to other NE cities, actually closer to the time of LA

yeah border sizes will do that

Old 08-24-2012, 12:43 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,204,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
where are getting weighted density? Also weighted desnity is basically the median at which people live. There is an additional gradient factor that shows demonstrates the high/low/consistency
Weighted density is the mean not the median at which people live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
He is wrong.

Boston (weighted density): 24,543 ppsm

That's just Boston's official city limits. Throw in the other high density neighborhoods and the number rises.
Adding other high density neighborhoods lowers the weighted density slightly but increases the non-weighted density due to Boston having more non-residetntial land and more sections of very high densities than anywhere else in the region (as I said it's a mean, not a median so high density nabes in the core give Boston a big boost). I calculated weighted densities for a number of Boston are cities here:

SkyscraperPage Forum - View Single Post - Population density patterns in cities (NYC and Chicago as a starter)

Boston is the highest. Used 2000 numbers, but the pattern shouldn't have changed much. Skyscraperpage is ok to link to. A number of other regions were calculated, including North Jersey and East Bay. Long Beach has a higher weighted density (17,044 ppsm) than Los Angeles itself. New York City by itself has a weighted density of 61,000 ppsm.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:07 PM

13,693 posts, read 15,610,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
What? I though DC was a black Mecca, now the lack of Minorities causes the density to be hurt, lol.
African Americans don't come anywhere near the household size of hispanics. Really, no race does. Also, D.C. is now under 50% black. Another factor you should think about is D.C. has more housing units now than it did when the city held 800,000 people. Makes you wonder......

There are books you can read about urban design if you are interested.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:25 PM

13,693 posts, read 15,610,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Here are the two zip codes, 90057 in LA and 20001 in DC.

http://www.city-data.com/zips/90057.html

http://www.city-data.com/zips/20001.html

20001 has a population of 47,699 in 2.6 square miles for density of 18,557 ppsm and a household size of 2.0 people.

90057 has a population of 38,087 (down 5k from 2000) in .9 square miles for a density of 43,147 ppsm and a household size of 2.9 people.

Yes LA is more crowded but as you can see overcrowding is not why LA is significantly denser than Washington DC.

The LA Zip has MacArthur Park in it so no complaining about parks skewing the density!
You know, it's very interesting that you chose that zip code. It's the last area getting rebuilt. Shaw was burnt to the ground in the 1960's during the Martin Luther King Jr. Riots. It has taken 50 years, but is now getting rebuilt from a bunch of vacant houses. This is what is under construction in the neighborhood you just posted....

Under Construction
CityMarket at O (rental)

Under Construction
7th Flats at Progression Place

Under Construction
Jefferson at Market Place

And there are about 5 projects supposed to breakground within the next 3 quarters in this same zipcode. The other half is Howards Campus which obviously doesn't have much housing since most Howard students live off campus. You picked one of the most blighted undeveloped neighborhoods in DC to make your comparison?

Old 08-24-2012, 01:32 PM

10,084 posts, read 15,777,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
You know, it's very interesting that you chose that zip code. It's the last area getting rebuilt. Shaw was burnt to the ground in the 1960's during the Martin Luther King Jr. Riots. It has taken 50 years, but is now getting rebuilt from a bunch of vacant houses. This is what is under construction in the neighborhood you just posted....

Under Construction
CityMarket at O (rental)

Under Construction
7th Flats at Progression Place

Under Construction
Jefferson at Market Place

And there are about 5 projects supposed to breakground within the next 3 quarters in this same zipcode. The other half is Howards Campus which obviously doesn't have much housing since most Howard students live off campus. You picked one of the most blighted undeveloped neighborhoods in DC to make your comparison?
I didn't pick anything. I just used the zip code from the streetview you posted, for both LA and DC.

If I messed something up it was unintentional.

...Well I did mess it up. I'll post the correction here.

The zip I meant to pick was 20005.

• 20005 has a population of 9,733 in .4 square miles for a density of 21,965 and a household size of 1.5 people per household.

again, comparing this to the LA zip code (which I did pick correctly)

• 90057 has a population of 38,087 (down 5k from 2000) in .9 square miles for a density of 43,147 ppsm and a household size of 2.9 people.

If the LA zip had the household size of the DC zip, they would be almost equal.

But in all seriousness, is 20001 really the most blighted zip code in DC?

Last edited by munchitup; 08-24-2012 at 01:53 PM..

Old 08-24-2012, 02:30 PM

940 posts, read 2,019,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
When planners do case studies, we use census tracts and normally even deeper using census blocks.
You're an urban planner?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City