Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2012, 12:55 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
name one culturally unique about DC?

Just to name a few things...

Heights of Buildings Act of 1910 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

DC richest Black Population in the Nation:
http://www.lipstickalley.com/f4/inte...1-spot-359612/

Our fashion has always been very different from the rest of the nation. Like for instance, women in D.C. started skiny jeans in 1998. The rest of the nation pretty much copied what D.C. has been doing since a decade ago. D.C. women also started flat high top leather boots with your jeans tucked in back in 1998. You all were wearing flares. Our men have been wearing Nike foams tennis shoes since 1998 also. The rest of you just started wearing them. Russel Simmons basically got urban wear for the whole nation from D.C. in the 1990's from our local urban brands like Madness, City Life, HOBO etc..

And GoGo!

THE REACTION BAND LIVE @ SHOW PLACE ARENA 6-20-09 PT 1 - YouTube

Last edited by MDAllstar; 08-25-2012 at 01:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 01:14 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,989,552 times
Quote:
what about that long thin one in the bottom left, XD
That would be a freeway compadre but I can sense the sarcasm so I know that you knew what it was lol.

Unfortunately the rest of us aren't lucky enough to have a glorious project like the big dig in our cities but LA has nothing to feel sorry for, its roads are the envy of much of the US.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:18 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
That would be a freeway compadre but I can sense the sarcasm so I know that you knew what it was lol.

Unfortunately the rest of us aren't lucky enough to have a glorious project like the big dig in our cities but LA has nothing to feel sorry for, its roads are the envy of much of the US.
Why did you show that picture of D.C. in comparison to the L.A. one knowing they were not taken at the same scale? Were you purposely trying to make D.C. look bad?

Here are some pictures that I took for research showing the city at the same scale as the Los Angeles Photo you posted.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Why did you show that picture of D.C. in comparison to the L.A. one knowing they were not taken at the same scale? Were you purposely trying to make D.C. look bad?
No, because it was nearly impossible to find decent pictures of either cities to prove a point. Built form exists in both cities but not enough people have photographed it yet, I guess. Luckily I read the LA Times and knew where to look for the LA ones. Never had any luck with DC, just check these searches out that I did?

dc aerials - Google Search
Image Search Results for dc aerial

Best one was this Google Image Result for http://metroscenes.com/aerial/aerial_07_02.jpg

This one was spectacular but not enough of DC showing Google Image Result for

Even that does no justice, none close up.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:24 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:

Boston had elevated freeways which necessitated the Big Dig - In LA luckily many of the freeways were built below grade, so the city / county is able to "cap" the freeways with a park or possibly retail (see Phoenix as an example of this).

Anyways there are two in LA that are in the planning / funding stage:

Downtown:
- (In planning meetings for the Union Station site redevelopment, it has been suggested that the cap be retail instead of a park to make the transition from Civic Center to Chinatown / El Pueblo more seamless).

Hollywood:

Old 08-25-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Anyways there are two in LA that are in the planning / funding stage:

Downtown:
- (In planning meetings for the Union Station site redevelopment, it has been suggested that the cap be retail instead of a park to make the transition from Civic Center to Chinatown / El Pueblo more seamless).

Hollywood:
Beast mode.

My rule of thumb for the best cities are the ones with the all around presentable package. All three cities qualify IMO, Boston, DC, and LA. A city should have the cream of the crop, best infrastructure possible, its what separates the cities of tomorrow from the podunks of the latter 21st century. Roads, trains, sidewalks, bridges, trams, buses, anything and everything related to infrastructure should be #1 priority for the city.

I visited a city in Morocco once, on the surface when I arrived I was so impressed by the main arterial road there, so modern and grand, but then he made a right turn and it went on to become a dirt patch road. Apparently the town invested all the capital they had in that one road alone. Infrastructure is #1 on an impression list for many people. LA will have a brand new train system for the people, by the people, for the 21st century. It's roads are the envy of much of the country, and its sidewalks are well kept, clean, and work.

I could never live in a city that looks like its best days are behind it with mangy infrastructure in shambles. Even more than climate and scenery, infrastructure is #1 for me.
Quote:
Boston had elevated freeways which necessitated the Big Dig - In LA luckily most of the freeways were built below grade, so the city / county is able to "cap" the freeways with a park or possibly retail (see Phoenix as an example of this).
They showed me pictures of the elevated highway at the MIT museum at Kendall Square and I'm glad its gone. Wow what a mangy piece of sh-t that was. One guy told me pieces used to fall off and hit cars on the roads underneath, cracking windshields and denting cars.

Last edited by scrantiX; 08-25-2012 at 01:40 PM..

Old 08-25-2012, 01:35 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Just to name a few things...

Heights of Buildings Act of 1910 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

DC richest Black Population in the Nation:
interesting Data on Affluent blacks in US! DC is still No 1 spot

Our fashion has always been very different from the rest of the nation. Like for instance, women in D.C. started skiny jeans in 1998. The rest of the nation pretty much copied what D.C. has been doing since a decade ago. D.C. women also started flat high top leather boots with your jeans tucked in back in 1998. You all were wearing flares. Our men have been wearing Nike foams tennis shoes since 1998 also. The rest of you just started wearing them. Russel Simmons basically got urban wear for the whole nation from D.C. in the 1990's from our local urban brands like Madness, City Life, HOBO etc..

And GoGo!

THE REACTION BAND LIVE @ SHOW PLACE ARENA 6-20-09 PT 1 - YouTube
So Boston and the surrounding region started Punk Rock, gay Marriage, Universal Heathcare ect. we have our own accent, and unique cusine, Clam Chowder, Lobster, Boston Baked Beans ect. we have the center of the Celtic music scene in the Us with bands like the Dropkick murphies ect. DC just has local bands, not a local Style of Music.
anyway, this thread is about Density, I found it suprising Detroit when up between tehe 1 mile then the 5 mile and out the the 10 mile radii.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Beast mode.

My rule of thumb for the best cities are the ones with the all around presentable package. All three cities qualify IMO, Boston, DC, and LA. A city should have the cream of the crop, best infrastructure possible, its what separates the cities of tomorrow from the podunks of the latter 21st century. Roads, trains, sidewalks, bridges, trams, buses, anything and everything related to infrastructure should be #1 priority for the city.

I visited a city in Morocco once, on the surface when I arrived I was so impressed by the main arterial road there, so modern and grand, but then he made a right turn and it went on to become a dirt patch road. Infrastructure is #1 on an impression list for many people. LA will have a brand new train system for the people, by the people, for the 21st century. It's roads are the envy of much of the country, and its sidewalks are well kept, clean, and work.

I could never live in a city that looks like its best days are behind it with mangy infrastructure in shambles. Even more than climate and scenery, infrastructure is #1 for me.

They showed me pictures of the elevated highway at the MIT museum at Kendall Square and I'm glad its gone. Wow what a mangy piece of sh-t that was. One guy told me pieces used to fall off and hit cars on the roads underneath, cracking windshields and denting cars.
I agree with your premise, but I have to admit the bolded is not really true. I don't drive much in the city so I can't attest to the state of the roads, but the sidewalks in LA are pretty badly mangled, for two reasons: Ficus trees and a law that requires the city to repair sidewalks instead of property owners (which just about every other big city has).

But I do agree LA is a city positioning itself to be in a really good place in the 21st century.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
So Boston and the surrounding region started Punk Rock, gay Marriage, Universal Heathcare ect. we have our own accent, and unique cusine, Clam Chowder, Lobster, Boston Baked Beans ect. we have the center of the Celtic music scene in the Us with bands like the Dropkick murphies ect. DC just has local bands, not a local Style of Music.
anyway, this thread is about Density, I found it suprising Detroit when up between tehe 1 mile then the 5 mile and out the the 10 mile radii.
I'm pretty sure Detroit or NYC started punk-rock.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I agree with your premise, but I have to admit the bolded is not really true. I don't drive much in the city so I can't attest to the state of the roads, but the sidewalks in LA are pretty badly mangled, for two reasons: Ficus trees and a law that requires the city to repair sidewalks instead of property owners (which just about every other big city has).

But I do agree LA is a city positioning itself to be in a really good place in the 21st century.
One thing LA could do is put more lights on the freeways when its dark. That's one thing that stands out but the size of the freeways is the most enviable thing about it. LA is a place of 18M and its infrastructure does great things to handle what it has now while still growing by 1.3M a decade (last 10 years).

One thing easterners and westerners never talk about on this forum is the travel distance in our metros. To an easterner, say 60 miles and they sh-t their pants, that cant possibly be the same metro can it? To a westerner it is, a freeway system like LA's is large and wide enough to handle a larger population and at different grades of speed. The freeways I saw in north NJ were 2 laners each way, sometimes 3, and passed that was a rarity or only temporary for an exit or ramp. For a metro of 22M, NYC is inadequate to move traffic the way it has been, between Newark and Edison we averaged 9 MPH. Their transit systems are envious by coverage but not even the transit eases their congestion's.

LA is much luckier IMO in its setup and much more modern freeway systems. I agree sidewalks could use some work but its the fastest evolving city in California. Also worth pointing out that LA's sidewalks are not patchy, they do not retain the look that when broken, they are replaced with different colored material, looking like a cheeckerboard, more refined look compared to a place like Phily. Its going to get those sidewalks right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City