Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 12:36 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,987,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I agree that DC is different from the other northeast cities, especially because of its lack of an industrial past. However, the majority opinion on C-D has been that DC, Maryland and Northern Virginia are northeastern - as confirmed by various discussions and polls on the topic.
I have multiple theories about why people say those kinds of things and where they got their ideas from but that's for another thread.

See there's the difference between me and just about 80% of the other posters on this site. I don't care for anyone's opinion, nor do I care for the personal attacks, I don't act like "all of my best friends" are on this site to where I have something to prove, I just say things, things that I mean, things I will never regret saying, and I never use polls, discussions, or anything about this forum as a means of evidence. It's pathetic IMO that people act like this is a real community where you have an "image" and a "role" and pretending that their bestest friends in the whole wide world are on this site reading their every point. I try not to but I cant help but feel how many people have nothing, just lonely, their internet alias is all they have left. I can understand people who post a lot but I will never understand people who think polls, discussions, or anything else related to this forum should be used as any shred of proof for anything.

For those people I think they need to get a life, go out and explore, socialize, or travel more instead of posting about their travels years ago. For others such as yourself, I think its well to do that you have made your point clear, I agree with you DC is not northeastern nor is it southern. DC region is I had to draw census lines would be its own region with MD, VA, WV, and DC, completely removed from northeast and south. I haven't found a southern city yet that reminds me of DC, except maybe the mentality of Uptown and central Dallas, white collar elites, powerful folks, smug, and very brutal to those they consider "below them" on income. I was wowed by how up to date DC folks are on their daily dressing, reminded me of when I first saw Dallas, but no other southern city besides that one, and no northeastern city.

Last edited by JMT; 08-29-2012 at 08:45 AM.. Reason: Removed off topic comment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 12:43 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -.- View Post
Also many DC natives, mostly black, always say Baltimore reminds them of NYC.... lol
DC's neighborhoods like Dupont Circle, West End and Gallery Place are more urban than anything Bmore can muster up. Plus DT DC is more urban than DT Bmore. DC feels more like a big city than Bmore plus DC has rowhouses similar to Bmore in different parts of the city. Some of them are on Capitol Hill.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:46 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
What is interesting is a diatribe on the uselessness of opinions followed by putting forth an opion. the irony

I will diagree with the above. While DC is a slightly different animal from the other NE cities it shares far more with the NE than any other area. For functional purposes today it very much operates as the southern terminus of the NE corrider. Today in function is has more in common with corrider cities than would a Bufalo or Pittsburgh

Old 08-27-2012, 12:46 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,713,219 times
Urban is a very broad general term that means different things to different people. That being said, both cities are very urban in very different ways. DC is more world class and cosmopolitan, hands down. When it comes to cultural attractions, shopping, nightlife and entertainment, DC holds the title of having the best of the best for the Mid-Atlantic region below the Mason Dixon line. DC has become less Black and more White over the past twenty years. With that gentrification, DC has becoming more welcoming to people from the suburbs and people from all over the country and the world. There is a very "live and let live" vibe in DC. A decade or so ago, huge swaths of DC were completely forbidding to outsiders. DC native Dave Chappelle broke it down in a very humorous way in his famous Killing Them Softly stand up comedy bit when he said that the closest White people ever got to being in DC was watching from binoculars from Northern Virginia in the 70's, 80's and 90's.

Baltimore is more urban in the use of the word as a euphemism. "Urban" is often used as a word to describe Black culture in predominantly Black environments in the big city. Huge sections of DC definitely fit this bill too. However, New York, Philadelphia and Baltimore are more similar in terms of Black culture (i.e. "hacks" or illegal taxi cabs, Timberland boots even in the summer time, big baggy Pelle Pelle/Avirex leather jackets etc.) and the way the city looks in comparison to Black culture in DC. This is the reason why many Black DC natives say Baltimore reminds them of New York. People will say Baltimore is more urban because the filth, grittiness and cityscape that exists in B-More is very similar to NYC and Philly. DC's urbanity is more unique in this respect.

Baltimore is definitely has its well-publicized share of crime and social ills. DC has its crime too, but DC, as a whole, has gentrified at a much faster speed than Baltimore. There are very few areas of DC that haven't been affected by gentrification in 2012. Swaths of Baltimore are nowhere near gentrified and probably never will be. But back to the word "urban" describing Baltimore in a not so positive light. For example, many "urban" crime dramas like the Wire famously exposed this reality in Baltimore.

Aside from using the word as "urban" as a codeword for a crime-infested neglected inner city overwhelmingly Black environment, Baltimore is more urban than DC by the fact that the city has a skyline and skyscrapers. DC buildings are not allowed to be built taller than a certain height.

Last edited by goldenchild08; 08-27-2012 at 12:55 PM..

Old 08-27-2012, 12:54 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Is DC a Northeast City

Is NOVA part of the southeastern or northeastern U.S. culturally?

Is Maryland part of the northeastern or southeastern U.S. culturally?

Two of these are my polls. The results are pretty consistent. There are many other threads on the same topic, you just have to search on the forums.
Polls where a total of 39 people voted between the two of them do not indicate a majority opinion. I'm sorry.

In the DC poll there is a majority, but not an overwhelming one. There is still much disagreement on this subject despite the results.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:57 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,987,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Polls where 11 and 25 people voted do not indicate a majority opinion. I'm sorry.
That's all I'm saying. If there's anyone that really believes CD polls should be the gold standard for any scientific opinion, well then, I'm sorry to them.

We're all entitled to our opinions, but please, lets not pretend that these opinions should be used as evidence for anything. What a pathetic pathetic thing to rely on. There's a reason why every DC thread turns into some saying its southern and some saying northern, Toronto is a Canadian city yet its apart of the great lakes cultural region. Whats your point?

Last edited by scrantiX; 08-27-2012 at 01:08 PM..

Old 08-27-2012, 01:00 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
That's all I'm saying. If there's anyone that really believes CD polls should be the gold standard for any scientific opinion, well then, I'm sorry to them.

We're all entitled to our opinions, but please, lets not pretend that these opinions should be used as evidence for anything. What a pathetic pathetic thing to rely on.
Thank you. You said it much better than I did.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:55 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,399,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -.- View Post
Im from DC originally but I cant help but to feel Baltimore is more urban than DC.

For one, Baltimore looks and feels northeastern to me. The rowh.ouses look just like Philly.
Two, Baltimore is an older city with taller buildings. DC is old too but it has a lot of new buildings and to be frank, DC feels southern across the board. Urban yes but southern.

DC may be faster paced but Baltimore has that NE grit and attitude that you will not find in DC.
Baltimore has blocks that look like somewhere in Brooklyn, DC doesnt.

So for those who have been to both cities which one feels more urban?
Are you serious? I have always felt dc looks more like new York then Baltimore.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:01 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,399,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
Urban is a very broad general term that means different things to different people. That being said, both cities are very urban in very different ways. DC is more world class and cosmopolitan, hands down. When it comes to cultural attractions, shopping, nightlife and entertainment, DC holds the title of having the best of the best for the Mid-Atlantic region below the Mason Dixon line. DC has become less Black and more White over the past twenty years. With that gentrification, DC has becoming more welcoming to people from the suburbs and people from all over the country and the world. There is a very "live and let live" vibe in DC. A decade or so ago, huge swaths of DC were completely forbidding to outsiders. DC native Dave Chappelle broke it down in a very humorous way in his famous Killing Them Softly stand up comedy bit when he said that the closest White people ever got to being in DC was watching from binoculars from Northern Virginia in the 70's, 80's and 90's.

Baltimore is more urban in the use of the word as a euphemism. "Urban" is often used as a word to describe Black culture in predominantly Black environments in the big city. Huge sections of DC definitely fit this bill too. However, New York, Philadelphia and Baltimore are more similar in terms of Black culture (i.e. "hacks" or illegal taxi cabs, Timberland boots even in the summer time, big baggy Pelle Pelle/Avirex leather jackets etc.) and the way the city looks in comparison to Black culture in DC. This is the reason why many Black DC natives say Baltimore reminds them of New York. People will say Baltimore is more urban because the filth, grittiness and cityscape that exists in B-More is very similar to NYC and Philly. DC's urbanity is more unique in this respect.

Baltimore is definitely has its well-publicized share of crime and social ills. DC has its crime too, but DC, as a whole, has gentrified at a much faster speed than Baltimore. There are very few areas of DC that haven't been affected by gentrification in 2012. Swaths of Baltimore are nowhere near gentrified and probably never will be. But back to the word "urban" describing Baltimore in a not so positive light. For example, many "urban" crime dramas like the Wire famously exposed this reality in Baltimore.

Aside from using the word as "urban" as a codeword for a crime-infested neglected inner city overwhelmingly Black environment, Baltimore is more urban than DC by the fact that the city has a skyline and skyscrapers. DC buildings are not allowed to be built taller than a certain height.

People in Philly wear pelle pelle jackets?

Old 08-27-2012, 05:47 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Calm down...it's just his opinion and it's not up to you to tell him it's wrong.
Hmmmm, I think this is a debate forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City